OWB and IWB Holster Recommendations for SW1911SC E Series

I just purchased my first 1911 - S&W 1911 SC E Series - and really like it! It's a Commander with a 4 and 1/4 inch barrel. Looking to carry it, and hunting for a holster, both OWB that snaps on the belt rather than belt loops or paddle, and an IWB. I have a S&W MP9mm full size and use the IWB SuperTuck and the OWB Blackhawk Serpa (use paddle rather than belt loops). I use a good, solid gun belt. I am considering the following: OWB - Galco SSS SIDE SNAP SCABBARD; IWB - Galco V-HAWK, the Galco SUMMER COMFORT, or the Crossbreed SUPERTUCK. Very willing to look at other holsters, but would prefer a holster that can be removed from the belt somewhat easily (probably snaps) rather than belt loops or a paddle.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

Very similar setup here. M&P9 Pro in a SuperTuck IWB or Serpa OWB. Also bought an E-Series 1911Sc that I carry in a leather DeSantis Speed Scabbard (belt loop). I could easily get a SuperTuck for the 1911, but I have decided that such a great looking gun deserves leather. The consensus seems to be that Milt Sparks is tier 1 for a leather holster. They're almost impossible to get, but the VM2 is what I'd like a for my 1911Sc.
Subscribed.

12/30/11 update: bought an MS SS2. It's OK. The holster moves around a lot. I'm still waiting for my Beltman belt, which should fix that problem. I also ordered a SuperTuck in the Crossbreed Group Buy.
-JR

Last edited:
Done Hume PCCH for IWB. i have one for my G19 and one for my SW1911. they work great.

very similar to milt sparks (sp), desanties (sp) and some higher end rigs. it's leather, the snaps come undone really easy.

i use both of these holsters exclusively with the exception of when i carry my Walther PPS. that one is carried via super-tuck as well.

hope this helps.

For IWB I'll put a plug in for the Comp-Tac MTAC holster. It's the same concept as the Supertuck, but the kydex body is removable/replaceable, so you can use it for multiple guns.

My recommendations:

IWB:
- Milt Sparks VMII
- Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 (some 1911 models are off-the-shelf from Brownells and LE or C&R FFL will get you a decent price)
- Galco makes a knock-off of the Milt Sparks SS2, not bad but nowhere close on quality

OWB:
- Brommeland Def-Con

My recommendations:

IWB:
- Milt Sparks VMII
- Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 (some 1911 models are off-the-shelf from Brownells and LE or C&R FFL will get you a decent price)
- Galco makes a knock-off of the Milt Sparks SS2, not bad but nowhere close on quality

OWB:
- Brommeland Def-Con

Delivery time on the Milt Sparks is 20-26 weeks.

I suspect the OP is not willing to wait 6 months to carry his/her brand spankin' new 1911 E-series. [wink] I know I'm not!

EDIT: Read that too fast and missed the SS2 Brownells comment. Sorry!

Last edited:
Delivery time on the Milt Sparks is 20-26 weeks.

I suspect the OP is not willing to wait 6 months to carry his/her brand spankin' new 1911 E-series. [wink] I know I'm not!

EDIT: Read that too fast and missed the SS2 Brownells comment. Sorry!

You are correct and thus I recommend the SS2 from Brownells as an interim holster. He'd likely have it in-hand in less than 5 days from ordering it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...S HOLSTERS/Product/SEMI-AUTO-SUMMER-SPECIAL-2

$100 w/o discount, $85 w/discount and well worth every penny. I have this holster for various guns including a 1911 FS that I carried for a couple of years. Very comfortable.

You are correct and thus I recommend the SS2 from Brownells as an interim holster. He'd likely have it in-hand in less than 5 days from ordering it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...S HOLSTERS/Product/SEMI-AUTO-SUMMER-SPECIAL-2

$100 w/o discount, $85 w/discount and well worth every penny. I have this holster for various guns including a 1911 FS that I carried for a couple of years. Very comfortable.

Good call.

Going a little OT here -- is it much of a problem to wear a 1.5" loop holster with a 1.25" belt?

Good call.

Going a little OT here -- is it much of a problem to wear a 1.5" loop holster with a 1.25" belt?

I can't answer that question as all my belts are 1.5".

Also, the SS2 is a lot easier than the VMII to unsnap and remove and put back on while wearing your pants. It also takes up much less "real estate" across your body.

Galco holsters suck -- overpriced and poor quality. I've had three and they all suck.

For OWB: Raven Concealment Phantom, Milt Sparks 55BN
For IWB: Kramer Leather IWB #3

dlarge, you want your holster belt loops to match your belt. Otherwise, the holster will move around too much. Some tightly fit holsters will be hard to draw from if the belt lets them move around too much.

Back
Top Bottom