Outdoor places to shoot in NH?

OK, let me get this straight. I’m a little dumb.

1. Move to NH
2. Delete all memory of living in Mass
3. Drive in woods till I find a clearish spot
4. Walk 15 feet off the road (seriously?)
5. Shoot away from the road
6. Wonder why I didn’t do this before

Is this about it? I’m moving into the north country, so it should be pretty easy to find a forest road to travel and find a spot.

That is about right, hardest part is finding spots with real nice backstops. Thankfully the glaciers have left an abundance of sand everywhere, so it shouldn't be too hard to find your own "gun range"

And again that’s for the neighborhood and all the people that own land around this patch of land it’s quiet big for all to enjoy whatever outdoor activity you want just be safe and use common sense and clean up your brass

Funny, I know exactly where that is. Do more fly fishing up that way than shooting, but there are some good little spots on the main drag.

You're in NH. You need a .22 pistol or rifle with a can and Gemtech suppressor ammo and plink away where it's legal to do so and you won't draw any attention. Jack.

1. Move to NH - CHECK
2. Land behind house with natural, sloping backstop- CHECK
3. .22 pistol / rifle- CHECK
4. Suppressor- Not until the ATF decides to approve it. Probably won't see it until 2021. Stupid NFA!

I try to keep my backyard shooting to a minimum until I get my can as a courtesy to my neighbors. I know I am preaching to the choir but the NFA is ridiculous and we should be able to make and buy suppressors without any restrictions. You can go buy a gun and get approved within 30 minutes but it takes a year to get approval for a suppressor that does nothing without a gun to put it on.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll do as suggested here.

In case anyone sees this and has private land they shoot on, id be willing to meet with you, discuss your terms, and compensate you for the permission. Otherwise, ill do some searching and find a good spot. Thanks all.

1. Move to NH - CHECK
4. Suppressor- Not until the ATF decides to approve it. Probably won't see it until 2021. Stupid NFA!

I try to keep my backyard shooting to a minimum until I get my can as a courtesy to my neighbors. I know I am preaching to the choir but the NFA is ridiculous and we should be able to make and buy suppressors without any restrictions. You can go buy a gun and get approved within 30 minutes but it takes a year to get approval for a suppressor that does nothing without a gun to put it on.

Search efrom 1 suppressor. For a .22, I wouldn't think twice about doing it. The kits are cheap, the eform time is like 2-4 weeks for approval.

ETA: NFA Arts and Crafts -- My Covid-19 Project

Last edited:
I would also add that during hunting season and as a courtesy to my local hunters I don't shoot at several of my regular spots, since they are prime game areas. Keep that in mind as well. It also underscores the need to find several spots. Don't stop looking and exploring when you find "the one".

1. Move to NH - CHECK

If you have a safe and legal place to shoot, and you are concerned about noise purely as a courtesy to neighbors, then CCI quiet .22 ammo is worth a look. From a rifle they are very quiet. From a pistol they are actually surprisingly loud, and I would not recommend that, but a rifle length barrel makes them quieter than many pellet guns.

For quiet use of a pistol, you could try Aguila Colibri ammo. It is pretty quiet from a pistol length barrel, but it is also super low powered, and I have not found it as fun as CCI quiets from a rifle.

A couple of cautions if you do try the quiet ammo though. You really need to have the same level backstop you would use for a .22 rifle. I have tested shooting them into sand bags, and the penetration is much more than you would expect considering their low ballistic numbers. Also, with all of these low powered rounds, you need to be aware of ricochets. These rounds ricochet and bounce very easily. I am not sure why, but pellet guns are known for ricochets, and these low powered rounds do that too.

But with all of that said, shooting CCI Quiet rounds into a good sandy backstop is lots of fun, and I recommend it.

If you have a safe and legal place to shoot, and you are concerned about noise purely as a courtesy to neighbors, then CCI quiet .22 ammo is worth a look. From a rifle they are very quiet. From a pistol they are actually surprisingly loud, and I would not recommend that, but a rifle length barrel makes them quieter than many pellet guns.

For quiet use of a pistol, you could try Aguila Colibri ammo. It is pretty quiet from a pistol length barrel, but it is also super low powered, and I have not found it as fun as CCI quiets from a rifle.

I actually have a small box of CCI quiet .22 that I have never tried and a box of Aguila Super Colibri that sounds quieter than a Red Ryder BB gun when shot from a rifle. I am afraid to shoot it because a round didn't make it out of the barrel of my CZ455 once and I was lucky enough to realize it and push it out with a cleaning rod before doing damage. Will they work in a pistol if I manually cycle it?

A couple of cautions if you do try the quiet ammo though. You really need to have the same level backstop you would use for a .22 rifle. I have tested shooting them into sand bags, and the penetration is much more than you would expect considering their low ballistic numbers. Also, with all of these low powered rounds, you need to be aware of ricochets. These rounds ricochet and bounce very easily. I am not sure why, but pellet guns are known for ricochets, and these low powered rounds do that too.

But with all of that said, shooting CCI Quiet rounds into a good sandy backstop is lots of fun, and I recommend it.

First time I shot those out of a pistol I thought....I want my money back!

I actually have a small box of CCI quiet .22 that I have never tried and a box of Aguila Super Colibri that sounds quieter than a Red Ryder BB gun when shot from a rifle. I am afraid to shoot it because a round didn't make it out of the barrel of my CZ455 once and I was lucky enough to realize it and push it out with a cleaning rod before doing damage. Will they work in a pistol if I manually cycle it?

The Quiet .22 rounds are fine from a rifle. In fact, they are not even quiet from a pistol, so they really are designed for rifles. I believe that the rifle length barrel is acting as an expansion chamber for the reduced powder charge in these rounds.

The Super Colibri rounds are different. I am pretty sure the documentation even says "Not for use with rifles," so they really are designed for pistols. They are very low powered, far less than the CCI Quiet rounds. I know some people do shoot them in rifles, but I think it requires testing the specific barrel to make sure they don't stick. I have not have problems with rounds stuck in a pistol length barrel, but I did find that they are so slow that they hit way low, even at close ranges. I also had to focus very carefully on follow through or the shots went wild. Note that there is also a Colibri round which is even lower than the Super Colibri. Not sure what their purpose is, since the Super Colibri is already pretty low.

First time I shot those out of a pistol I thought....I want my money back!

If you mean that the Quiet rounds are not quiet at all from a pistol, then you would be absolutely correct. Try them from a rifle though. Twelve more inches of barrel has an amazing affect. From a Marlin lever action, the snap of the hammer next to my ear is about as loud as the sound from the muzzle.

I have but cycling was a problem, then again maybe the rifle needed some break in time. (New 10/22 takedown). They were very quiet though. Probably ideal for bolt action.

Just remember even though NH is considered a "free state" it doesn't mean it's "Planet Gun" here. Families have free range kids and outdoor pets and trees ,(by themselves) are not a backstop. Pick up your brass, even if it's steel cased. I've seen more than a few "No Target Shooting" signs pop up on class VI roads from New Ipswich to Fitzwilliam. Don't spoil it for us locals.

I have but cycling was a problem, then again maybe the rifle needed some break in time. (New 10/22 takedown). They were very quiet though. Probably ideal for bolt action.
CCI's original "Quiet-22" won't cycle a 10/22, I've only seen one semi-auto rifle it would reliably cycle.

Try the new "CCI Quiet Semi-Auto" for your 10/22
CC-975-CC-22-LRQuiet22-Semi-Auto-LRNTarget-Combo-R.jpg

Get yourself OnX Hunt and know who owns the land. If city, county, state or Fed, and not otherwise prohibited, shoot towards a safe backstop (a ridge or downhill) with no buildings behind. Walk to you backstop to confirm no trails. Open fire.

I use Google Maps and go to the "satellite" view to do initial searching. I'll go check out a likely spot, with the expectation that when I get there, there is actually a gate and posted sign (that aren't visible from the satellite photo). However, if I do find a place, it also allows me to check the distances between where I'd be shooting and any nearby dwellings, trails, roads. Even if legal, I don't want to draw attention since the sheep will call the ignorant to show up and say "It's not legal here! Join a club!"

If anyone (more likely someone in southern nh) on this thread would be willing to take a look a my pin in a map and tell me if there is something im not thinking of or if i should be ok to shoot, shoot me a PM. Thanks.

If anyone (more likely someone in southern nh) on this thread would be willing to take a look a my pin in a map and tell me if there is something im not thinking of or if i should be ok to shoot, shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Have you checked the town assessor's website to see who owns the land?

I wish info like this could be out in the open, but I have seen good sections of snowmobile trail shut down, good class 6 jeeping roads shutdown to motorized traffic, and one of my favorite shooting pits closed, all due to asshats (not saying you are one). Cleaning up and respecting the land is too hard for some people.

Luckily I was granted access to some private land to shoot on when up North, but I would advise poking around some other forums and seeing what you can find, and as others have mentioned, google earth is your friend[grin]. Also, many jurisdictions have tax maps online, which can help you decipher who owns what piece if property. You’d be suprised what you can find out if you enjoy doing some digging and research. Best of luck!

Last edited:
The distinct sound of select fire 3rd bursts in SoNH today - Rt114 at the Bedford/Goffstown border, about 3/4mi away along the pole line. Music...

Back
Top Bottom