Outdoor places to shoot in NH?

Hey all,

Moved up to NH from MA. But as it turns out, Nashua is basically MA lite. This house was an investment so NBD, we'll buy a house farther north later.

BUT ANYWAYS.

In the meantime, are there any outdoor places to shoot that I'm not likely to get cops called on me? I'll drive a ways if need be.

Hey all,

Moved up to NH from MA. But as it turns out, Nashua is basically MA lite. This house was an investment so NBD, we'll buy a house farther north later.

BUT ANYWAYS.

In the meantime, are there any outdoor places to shoot that I'm not likely to get cops called on me? I'll drive a ways if need be.

You got any secret fishing spots you want to give away?

Where is Jack to tell us we don't need 1000 threads on this lol. This must be the third or fourth thread on this in the last two weeks.

Basically people that have secret spots aren't going to post them on an open forum because they will no longer be secret spots. Once word gets out, they get ruined.

Where is Jack to tell us we don't need 1000 threads on this lol. This must be the third or fourth thread on this in the last two weeks.

Basically people that have secret spots aren't going to post them on an open forum because they will no longer be secret spots. Once word gets out, they get ruined.

The idea is that people would PM the OP, not post a response in the thread itself. That said, I am sure folks still don’t want to take chances that a bafoon screws up their hiding spot. Bummer but that’s life.

The idea is that people would PM the OP, not post a response in the thread itself. That said, I am sure folks still don’t want to take chances that a bafoon screws up their hiding spot. Bummer but that’s life.
Thats more what I was thinking. I figured id be chatting a bit or buying someone a beer so they can gauge my personality and decide then.

All it takes is one.

NH is pretty simple in my opinion. First, know your rules and regulations. All can be found online. Then know the rules of the town you wish to shoot in (some are just pistol, no rifles etc). Then find a spot. Once you find the spot, check it thoroughly for posted restrictions, private land, no trespass. There's even spots that have signs specifically stating what you can and can't do for recreation (yes, some name shooting). If everything checks out and it honestly doesn't seem or look like it's illegal, it's probably not, and you're good to go. No one is going to tell you their spot. It's NH, still plenty of spots, just gotta explore a bit.

Thats more what I was thinking. I figured id be chatting a bit or buying someone a beer so they can gauge my personality and decide then.

well, it’s a shame but there are just too many bad apples so only practical options are to buy your own land or join a club or have a place somewhere where you can make friends with the locals and maybe get an invite to a private shooting place. But realistically, unless you live full time in a rural place, you are not likely to find people willing to share a local spot. According to the the US forest website, you can call the local ranger stations and ask where you can shoot on public land, so you could try that.

well, it’s a shame but there are just too many bad apples so only practical options are to buy your own land or join a club or have a place somewhere where you can make friends with the locals and maybe get an invite to a private shooting place. But realistically, unless you live full time in a rural place, you are not likely to find people willing to share a local spot. According to the the US forest website, you can call the local ranger stations and ask where you can shoot on public land, so you could try that.

And if you get hip to a spot in the Nat Forest to shoot, keep it to yourself.

Hey all,

BUT ANYWAYS.

Find your near by sportsmen's club and join.

In the last town I lived in, we had sand pits. That is, until some dipshit lit off a ridiculous amount of tannerite...

And if you get hip to a spot in the Nat Forest to shoot, keep it to yourself.
And wherever you find a place... clean up after yourself. No one likes shotgun hulls laying around and filling with water and mud... (skeeter condos)
Leave the place better looking than you found it.

Oh, and no shooting trees...

Good Luck!
~Enbloc

Do your own research. There is so many places to shoot in NH its ridiculous. I have about half a dozen that I rotate through to mix it up. Not a single person ever comes to these areas. I wouldn't even tell my best friend, not that I have any friends, about these secret spots. You tell one person and your f***ed, period. So once you have a spot, don't let the entire world in on it. It's better that way.

The only thing I hold closer to my chest are my fishing parking spots, which are on a whole nother level buck.

Find a local F&G club, get a sponsor, get on the waiting list. Most NH clubs are open despite COVID-19 lockdown.

NH is pretty simple in my opinion. First, know your rules and regulations. All can be found online. Then know the rules of the town you wish to shoot in (some are just pistol, no rifles etc).
This is NH, towns don't get to set their own rules for firearms, see RSA 159:26

towns don't get to set their own rules for firearms
No? Shot in goffstown once and we were told by police rifles weren't allowed. Called fish and game and they verified that. Unless everyone is full of shit.
If you were in the woods during deer season, Goffstown is one of the towns in which state law restricts method of taking deer. Fish & Game enjoy their power and unless you were at a bonafide sand pit, want to claim every shooter is a poacher in disguise.

I'd be lying if I said that wasn't basically exactly what happened. A 'hunter' called on us. Lame.

Gotta love those commie NH hunters. These brain dead useful idiots are programmed to rat people out. These are the same people that have no concept of the presumption of innocence. They are also projecting their own insecurities when it comes to hunting by being rats. They feel threatened by the others in the area, likely because their own skills are sub-par.

Honey, I didn't shoot anything today, but boy I ratted out these guys that I could just tell were looking to poach all those deer I missed last year. I feel pretty accomplished.

Hey all,

BUT ANYWAYS.

You can shoot in Nashua off your porch as long as you have a large enough lot that is an appropriate distance from the road and neighbors.

NH is pretty simple in my opinion. First, know your rules and regulations. All can be found online. Then know the rules of the town you wish to shoot in (some are just pistol, no rifles etc). Then find a spot. Once you find the spot, check it thoroughly for posted restrictions, private land, no trespass. There's even spots that have signs specifically stating what you can and can't do for recreation (yes, some name shooting). If everything checks out and it honestly doesn't seem or look like it's illegal, it's probably not, and you're good to go. No one is going to tell you their spot. It's NH, still plenty of spots, just gotta explore a bit.

Town regulations? No such thing.

Hunting laws exist, yes, and you can run into bad authorities of all types, but if you aren't hunting it really doesn't apply.

You might have a town that allows shooting within some area they own or that would otherwise be restricted in the "center" (a state law) but allows pistols only, all a gentleman's agreement. Outside of that area ( legally defined town center), the town has no say - 300+ ft from a house or with owners permission, not across a road or within 15 feet (love that they needed to specify that part :) ), not trespassing, good to go.

Town regulations? No such thing.

Hunting laws exist, yes, and you can run into bad authorities of all types, but if you aren't hunting it really doesn't apply.

You might have a town that allows shooting within some area they own or that would otherwise be restricted in the "center" (a state law) but states pistols only, all a gentleman's agreement. Outside of that area ( legally defined town center), the town has no say - 300+ ft from a house or with owners permission, not across a road or within 15 feet (love that they needed to specify that part :) ), not trespassing, good to go.
No shit. Okay, good to know. Lifelong NH resident and look at me. I really thought that was a thing.

My biggest issue where I shoot is the trash scumbags drag in, somehow I see people come and go all the time but never catch the people who are doing it. Freakin TVs, vacuum cleaners, appliances, paint cans, gas bottles, grills, manicans and stuffed animals (funny but still shouldn't be left). I clean up a pile of shit every Sunday.

No shit. Okay, good to know. Lifelong NH resident and look at me. I really thought that was a thing.

Sorry just noticed a couple others jumped on you too - is kinda a NH pride thing. Now like I said there is the town center, which is spelled out but is open for a little interpretation by local authorities. However if the area you are in clearly doesn't apply then it's just ball busting.

Where I shoot occasionally in history the cops have told people they needed the owners permission (stopped on the way out), likely just one cop with a hair across his ass about it, but it's not posted, nor did the owner ask the police to do it, nor was anyone ever charged, because no crime took place.

Back
Top Bottom