Out of state lending

NES Member
My girlfriend lives in RI. Now as most of you know she can get a lot of guns that we (MA Residents) cannot. If she was to buy a RI gun and register in her name is it legal for her to “LEND” me it. If so can I carry “HER” gun in MA. I have a NR LTC

IANAL, so take this for what it's worth . . .

AFAIK this is perfectly legal. In MA we register "transactions" and the lending of a gun is NOT a transaction . . . it still belongs to your G/F (better be extra nice to her [wink] ).

In fact Chief Ron Glidden used to tell people who's out-of-state Father (for example) wanted to gift a gun to the son/daughter and planned on leaving it to that same person in their will . . . that a legal way around the red-tape (upon death transfers can be made without FFLs across state lines, but not otherwise) was to "borrow" the gun and have it written in his will that it is bequeathed to the same son/daughter upon death.

Similar principle here.

Republic of Mass said:
Doesnt the FA/10 form say "borrow" on top? Ill have to check it when Im at the PD tonight.....

Mine says "Loss", "Theft", "Registration", "Personal Transfer", but mine are the "original forms" date coded 10/98 (I had CHSB send me an envelope full, still working on them).

If the ones at the PD say "Borrow", I'll bet they removed "Theft" and replaced it with "Borrow" . . . after all we must remain PC! Nobody steals things (e.g. cars) as that would be evil, so we call it "borrow" (e.g. that's how they justify larceny of a motor vehicle as a slap on the wrist in MA . . . they didn't mean to keep it forever!). [roll]

I'd go with Ron Glidden's recommendation personally, no paperwork other than the will and perhaps a personal agreement note between parties.

the new ones say transfer, rental or lease. Just had to fill one out on Saturday, and I remember wondering who leased firearms.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
the new ones say transfer, rental or lease. Just had to fill one out on Saturday, and I remember wondering who leased firearms.

Ross

AFS?

Maybe each time you go to a rental range, they want info for their database. The more useless info = higher budget = larger empire!

I don't think that the accepted replacement for "theft" is "borrow". If I recall the 60's correctly, it should be "liberate".

Ken

Back
Top Bottom