Other folks at the range touching your guns.

I was out at my local club today, and there was another guy shooting. Eventually he comes over to see what I'm shooting, which I always enjoy. I like to chat with the other shooters, and enjoy the often offered chance to try out their guns, and of course reciprocate such offers. But today, this guy comes over and says, "Hey, nice P22, I've got one just like it" and then picks it right up off the bench and starts describing something about his gun. Now, it wasn't loaded, and he pretty quickly put it back down, so I let it go. But it annoyed the sh*t out of me. Anybody else have this happen to you, and how did you respond?

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with other people picking up my firearms that are on the bench while I'm talking to them. But then I'm pretty chatty so I probably don't even notice it. [wink]

actually no I have not. I really hover over my stuff when at the range with others around and I just DONT give them the opportunity to grab anything as I always try to put myself between them and my hardware. Once I get a feeling on how they are (keeping in mind that people can change at the drop of a hat as well) I sometimes will loosen up a bit and back off but not at first because you just dont know.
Of course sometimes it may become difficult to do this but I have been lucky I guess. I can certainly see how this would annoy you. Dont feel funny about telling someone in a nice way either that you dont think its appropriate. Its your right as its your guns not theirs.
I guess I would just try to do the best I could to not allow it. But I know it can be hard at times.

Anyone who's come over to me has always asked "May I?" first before touching. However, depending on who it was and how well I know them, I could see that might get me a bit touchy. If I don't know them at all, then I would reach out and take it back, explaining to them I don't let people I don't know touch my stuff.

I would never pick up someone else's gun/equipment without an invitation or asking first. It's just courtesy. Never had someone grab my gear before.

I do openly offer to people to try my gear and use my ammo if they show even the slightest interest (with the caveat that they don't give my a weird feeling). This is especially true if someone is introducing a newbie to the sport.

Matt

I always ask first, and I always get between folks I don't know and my gear at first till I see what's up. [thinking]

Not paranoid, just cautious, most places I shoot are out in the sticks.

No witnesses, ya know. [laugh]

Last edited:
Thanks, all. As PaulD so insightfully picked up on, I was wondering if I was being a "Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill ya" sort of guy. Personally, I don't even touch my shooting buddies stuff without them giving me permission. Seems just like common courtesy. I couldn't even imagine walking up and grabbing a stranger's firearm. I think I'll be more on guard for this kind of behavior from now on.

I don't touch other people's guns w/o their permission and I certainly expect the same from them.

I might check your ammo, but never your gun.

I think it is a no-no not only with guns. I would not touch anything else of worth that belonged to to someone else without asking first. Especially a stranger, and especially a gun. You just don't touch other people's shit without asking first.

I agree....I would never, ever think about touching or picking up someones else's weapon without either being invited to do so, or asking if I could see it.

I'm amazed that someone would just come over to your bench and just pick up and examine your firearm without even asking first....major safety concern for sure !

The ignorance, lack of manners and rudeness of some people always amazes me ....but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised any more, the way this society is heading...

I was out at my local club today, and there was another guy shooting. Eventually he comes over to see what I'm shooting, which I always enjoy. I like to chat with the other shooters, and enjoy the often offered chance to try out their guns, and of course reciprocate such offers. But today, this guy comes over and says, "Hey, nice P22, I've got one just like it" and then picks it right up off the bench and starts describing something about his gun." Now, it wasn't loaded, and he pretty quickly put it back down, so I let it go. But it annoyed the sh*t out of me. Anybody else have this happen to you, and how did you respond?

I have honestly never had this problem,everyone has always kindly asked to see something of mine at the range...then again most people cross the street when they see me coming toward them too![smile]

This seems appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTUruCv4Qi4

I'd always ask first.

If I got a new piece of jewelry, a new purse or a new blouse - generally people do not walk up and touch any of it or pick it up, as the case may be, to admire it. I see no difference here. It's not about guns, it is about belonging to someone else.

BTW I love your avatar - funny, funny. The video clip was cute.

I would offer if I did not mind, other wise keep your "meat hooks" off my stuff.

But I have had people ask if they could see my weapon and as long as they seem okay, I pull the mag and make sure it's not loaded and hand it to them. If they appear careless in any way or wave it or are pointing where they shouldn't, I pull it back directly.

Never had the problem. But i just realized I only pull one gun from the range bag at a time.

I don't like to spread out 3 pistols , magazines and 3 different types of ammo at once , so my neighbors only see one at a time.

the other way around : If a neighbor is shooting something I find interesting I will wait until he's paused , say hi , ask a general question : " Is that a ... ? " and if they respond with friendliness i may ask to see it or not. I have no problem if they are a bit gruff , and I back off. Of course most of the time the response is , " Yes. It's a ..... with this and that and I like or don't ... wanna shoot it ? "

Actually , where I shoot , it seems that most of the people are there for the socializing , coffee & donuts and general ballbusting that I find I am spending too much time talking hardware comparing guns listening to stories .... I frequently have to excuse myself to get back to what I came there for - putting holes in paper or tipping over metal plates.

Never had the problem. But i just realized I only pull one gun from the range bag at a time.

I don't like to spread out 3 pistols , magazines and 3 different types of ammo at once , so my neighbors only see one at a time.

the other way around : If a neighbor is shooting something I find interesting I will wait until he's paused , say hi , ask a general question : " Is that a ... ? " and if they respond with friendliness i may ask to see it or not. I have no problem if they are a bit gruff , and I back off. Of course most of the time the response is , " Yes. It's a ..... with this and that and I like or don't ... wanna shoot it ? "

Actually , where I shoot , it seems that most of the people are there for the socializing , coffee & donuts and general ballbusting that I find I am spending too much time talking hardware comparing guns listening to stories .... I frequently have to excuse myself to get back to what I came there for - putting holes in paper or tipping over metal plates.

I shoot with Fubar occassionally. He is 100% right. At our club there is often more shooting the bull than shooting the target. You also see a few "Dirty Harry" impersonations once in a while... [wink]

That said, nobody touches my stuff unless I give permission, which I almost always do. In fact, I like to share info about what I'm shooting and often offer a fellow shooter a few shots, just to stay friendly.

I think that it is impolite (and sometimes downright rude) for a total stranger to come up and touch your guns, your baby, or your dog without asking first. It demonstrates a lack of good upbringing.

What I want to know is how does jkelly handle this situation?

For me, if someone asks, I'll let him pick up one of my guns, and, depending on the circumstances, may let him or her shoot it. It's a good way to make a new friend.

ha ha.... laughed my freaking butt off when I saw "Stripes" on here about Francis Sawyer... ha ha... [rofl]

"any of you homos touch my stuff.... I'll kill ya..." [rofl]

yeah that would probobly work at the range. ha ha....

[laugh2]

What I want to know is how does jkelly handle this situation?---Cross-X

Respectfully, I'm sure. ---ipscdrl
Absolutely, there is no reason insult someone based on a single thoughtless act.

My response to someone picking up one of my firearms would be based on who and how the firearm was handled.

A friend handling the firearm in a safe manor I’d say nothing and welcome the familiarity. If they were handling the firearm in an unsafe manor I’d correct them politely.

If it is someone unknown or not trusted, whether they are handling the firearm safely or not, I ask them to “Please don’t do that”, correct them if unsafe and shift the subject.

Personally I always ask permission to handle someone’s firearm or pat their dog, unless the dog insists first. :)

Still Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Personally, I never ask someone if I can see one of their weapons, as they would then feel obligated to show it to me, even if they'd rather not. I may ask a question about the gun, or show interest, but I won't ask to see it.

Conversely, I'm very quick to offer my weapons to anyone who remotely shows interest.

Holy chit that's a major no-no.

No kidding, that blows my mind. I would ask before touching someone elses ANYTHING, let alone a firearm! [shocked] If they had just picked a small rock up off the ground and put it on the table and I wanted to handle it for some reason, I would ask first. Unless they were on my property, in which case... thats MY rock!

I would never pick up someone else's gun/equipment without an invitation or asking first. It's just courtesy. Never had someone grab my gear before.

I do openly offer to people to try my gear and use my ammo if they show even the slightest interest (with the caveat that they don't give my a weird feeling). This is especially true if someone is introducing a newbie to the sport.

Matt

couldn't have said it better myself...

Its like someone walking up and throwing their leg over your Harley (or whatever bike you have) and picking it up off the kickstand - just wrong.

I always ask before picking up. I do like to share when asked as well.

I would never touch someone's property, especially a firearm without asking, and would get angry if someone else did it to me. That said, if someone shows any interest, I offer to let them try it out.

I was at the range yesterday while a new member orientation was going on. It was said that while it's obviously not required, it's an informal suggested rule that if someone asks about something you're shooting to offer a few rounds. I think this is a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom