Other folks at the range touching your guns.

I was at the range yesterday while a new member orientation was going on. It was said that while it's obviously not required, it's an informal suggested rule that if someone asks about something you're shooting to offer a few rounds. I think this is a great idea.

I had the distinct pleasure a while back of shooting next to a ~15 year old and his father taking a class, shooting for the first time. The 15 year old, after shooting a .38 asked if he could shoot something bigger. The instructor apologized that he hadn't brought anything in a larger caliber. I chimed right in and said, "You can try my 1911!" When I finally had to leave, I'd left behind a kid and a father with great big grins.

One of my big fears at the range is leaving my things on the bench when I go out to change a target. Even though Im just a hundred yards away it always makes me uneasy and I find myself constantly looking back. Id never leave a handgun out, but it would be pretty inconvenient to carry a couple rifles and a range bag every time I wanted to change targets. I will usually ask some one next to me to keep an eye on my things when I go up, but it still makes me nervous.

One of my big fears at the range is leaving my things on the bench when I go out to change a target. Even though Im just a hundred yards away it always makes me uneasy and I find myself constantly looking back. Id never leave a handgun out, but it would be pretty inconvenient to carry a couple rifles and a range bag every time I wanted to change targets. I will usually ask some one next to me to keep an eye on my things when I go up, but it still makes me nervous.

That's why I like to shoot with someone else.

I never had a problem with anyone at any of the ranges I go to. If someone is looking at one of my guns & wants to try it out, I'll give up a few of rounds of ammo, provided that they asked nicely.

Don't touch the goods without permission. [wink]

Last edited:
I consider my gun, my second d***...only with permission may someone fondle it. [wink] generally, I'll let the ladies fondle it anytiem they'd like (the un-loaded gun of course)

Never had a problem with that... ever... I've had people ask questions about stuff I brought, etc, but never has anyone touch one of my guns without my permission... usually people say "hey, can I take a look at that?" it just strikes me as common courtesy.

I also let people try stuff out, if they ask nicely enough. Often times someone will have something I want to try and vice versa, so it works out good
that way.

-Mike

I never leave anything unattended except maybe a rifle and only a rifle when I go down range. If I see anyone picking it or any other gun while I'm down range I'll sure as heck be reporting them to the club safety officer.

One time maybe 17 years ago, I was at my local range with some friends. While most of us were 50 feet away changing targets, one of our group who hadn't shot before picked up one of the pistols and started playing with it, waving it around in our general direction. It caused quite a stir. The surprise for me was how calm I felt. I experienced a bigger adrenaline rush on the Superman coaster at 6 flags.

Lesson learned:
A nice five minute chat on the basics of gun safety beforehand is a must.

As for someone just wandering over and picking up one of my pieces, something else also comes to mind. It is called respect for other people's property. It doesn't matter whether it involves, guns, cars, computers, or whatever. Handling, leaning on, playing with or otherwise molesting with another's property without permission is at the very least disrespectful.

I remember the first time I got to try a real handgun at age 16. I had a relatively new driver's license, and I had a .22 rifle and air pistol out at the free range behind a huge gunship in the boonies (think Turnbull Restorations). Someone I have never met asked if he could look at the Crossman .22 air pistol, and I obliged. He then took out his Chareter Arms 38, unloaded it, and handed it and a box of ammo to me and suggested I try his while be tried mine. Although I didn't have any handgun training, I figured that if I applied the same basic safety rules I learned for the rifle, I would be OK and I was. The only thing done a bit improperly was someone was *too* friendly with their equipment loaning it to a 16 year old they never met and then engaging in another task (trying the air pistol) instead of making sure their gun was operated safetly. I'll be very generous about letting others try my guns, but it will be with me watching until I have some information regarding their ability to handle them safetly. In fact, many clubs that allow guests do not allow the hosting member to shoot at the same time as the guest for just this reason.

Its like someone walking up and throwing their leg over your Harley...

Now that's funny. I guarantee you without any doubt that it's a lot easier to get shot messing with a man's Harley than any shenanigans you can get into at the range.

Of the three ranges I frequent, touching things without permission never has happened to me at any of them. In fact, I've not seen it happen to anyone else, either. We're a pretty friendly bunch, though, offering whatever to whomever is interested.

The other thing, too is that safety is critical at the range. You have a bunch of people who think they know what they're doing. If the firearm is not under your immediate control (holstered or your hands are on it, shooting), it should be unloaded. I prefer breach open, magazine out. If someone were to touch one, I would definitely be quick to react in a corrective manner and suggest they never touch a firearm that doesn't belong to them.

Back
Top Bottom