"orange" cap and vest. Can I make it Orange camo?

What's the point? You want to be seen but you don't want to be seen......

Per law you need "xx" sq/in of orange, but you want keep your outline broken up. Animals with the exception of birds, can't see color, so a cammo orange is still good from a hunting perpective but also a safety one so you can be easily seen by other hunters who otherwise might make a noise shot or shoot in your direction not knowing you were down range. I wear orange at ANY public hunting site whether required to do so or not. One time I was out in the field and see another hunter off in the distance, so I grab my binos to see what he might be hunting for based on his appearance, and when I looked at him through the binos he had his rifle looking up at me through it's optic!!!!!! WTF over......

Last edited:
Yes camo is fine most if not all the vests at cabelas satisfy the law. I toss an orange camo hat on for extra safety since I do a lot of stalking. Deer see more patterns and movement than shades of color.

Sent from the blind

For instance deer have a hard time with the red color spectrum I believe...read an article a while ago about how deer see and if I remember correctly the red color spectrum to them is actually more gray and then you add in the branches and sticks in the orange camo you still have the safety of the orange but the break up with the branches/leaves.

Some things you hunt are color blind . So if you use different shades or patterns it acts like other types of camo , but other hunters will see you the same.

My entire life Ive never understood the whole "day-glo orange but camo" thing. Good to know.[thumbsup]

during the shotgun/primitive season I've always worn a blaze orange jacket that has a black and grey pine and branch pattern on it.

Per law you need "xx" sq/in of orange, but you want keep your outline broken up. Animals with the exception of birds, can't see color, so a cammo orange is still good from a hunting perpective but also a safety one so you can be easily seen by other hunters who otherwise might make a noise shot or shoot in your direction not knowing you were down range. I wear orange at ANY public hunting site whether required to do so or not. One time I was out in the field and see another hunter off in the distance, so I grab my binos to see what he might be hunting for based on his appearance, and when I looked at him through the binos he had his rifle looking up at me through it's optic!!!!!! WTF over......

Guess that asshat missed the portion of the hunter ed course where they tell you not to use fire arm optics to scout for animals.......dumass

This. The idea of orange camo is that you will not be seen by deer as just an odd block of solid color. Whether they can see color or not, it's still an unnatural blob of uniform shape in an otherwise "broken up" visual typical of New England.

I've had deer walk right up to me while wearing a straight orange parka. For them it's more about movement than it is about pattern.

This video does a pretty good comparison of different orange set ups, including camo...just do yourself a favor and start at 3:20. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kjSI79ss9I

I wear a coat that is all orange. I thought, if I had to, I could spray paint some camo onto it, but it hasn't held me back as-is yet.

OK...I was under the impression that in the PRM, Black/orange camo was not acceptable. I looked at the Abstracts, and saw only the "500 square inches" requirement.

So....I called the EPOs, and asked.

Approximation of the conversation:

"Hi, is hunter orange camo legal in Mass?"

"You need 500 square inches"

"Right, I know that. But I did not see that black/orange camo was prohibited. If you have 1000 square inches, and half is black, you're OK?

"It may not be addressed, but it may be prohibited" [rolleyes]

So....it is not specifically prohibited as far as I can see, but Mr. EPO may not like it....

YMMV

http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/deer/

If you have a vest that's 20 x 20 , you have 800 square inches (front and back)....if its half black you may not be in compliance (add in your hat, that counts to the total.)

Last edited:
What is most important is to wash any hunter orange to get rid of the phosphorescent glow. The deer see very well into ultraviolet and see that glow

True Story i had a bunch of Anti Hunters paint my treestand Orange a few years ago . They didn't paint the whole thing orange just parts of it so it looked like orange camo pattern. I coulndn't help but laugh my ass off at the attempt to scare the deer away. It has become one of my most productive tree stands i own .

Back
Top Bottom