1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

OpticsPlanet Pricing - Desktop vs Mobile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Knicks, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Knicks

Knicks NES Member

Before placing an order at optics planet check your mobile device for a a better price. Heres one item that I purchased that was 20% cheaper on mobile.

IMG_6345-25-07-19-12-27.PNG Capture.JPG

2. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

That’s weird. Wonder what other sites do that, if any. Thanks for the head’s up!

3. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

Interesting.

I gave up ordering from Optics Planet because it seemed that everything I ordered from them suddenly was on back order - and I tend to buy stuff I need now or in the near future.

Dennis in MA and SSShooter like this.
  4. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

I really wish they didn't charge tax, always discount codes available to sweeten the deal but tax kills it.
    Have to start sending stuff to my friends across the border.

5. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Maybe you can buy it at the mobile site, and then return it on the desktop site...

Bt74 likes this.
  6. Machete

Machete NES Member

I emailed their support staff about this awhile back. It seems that everyone on mobile gets their VIP pricing, while only select folks get the same via the desktop browser.

7. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Is that on the Optocs planet mobile app? Or optics planet via a mobile phone?

8. Knicks

Knicks NES Member

browser on mobile phone

9. mav

mav NES Member

Not for nothing, but this practice is very common. I'm surprised that an enterprising developer hasn't created a free app/plugin to spoof sites about device type and location to ensure "best pricing"... or maybe it has been done and I'm just lazy with my google foo.

10. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

Doubt it - the return authorization will be tied to an order number, which will reflect the purchase price, regardless of mobile or desktop.

11. rkwjunior

rkwjunior NES Member

Unfortunately this isnt the case for the Proof Research barrel I want. Same price

12. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Just about every major ecommerce website does this in one form or another. Maybe not specifically mobile vs desktop, but most large websites will give what they consider new viewers (ie. first time on website) a bit of a bigger discount to entice new business. The worst are travel websites for this offense. There are ways to check though. You basically have to trick the website into thinking you've never been there before.

The crazy part is that this type of action works against loyal customers who often cruise the same websites, as your tracking footprint and frequency typically means the more you look at them, the less they offer you in these type of price adjustment discounts. You still might end up getting coupons for being a good customer, but maybe not the best base prices.

13. Malodave

Malodave

When looking at flights to book, I have seen the price go up each subsequent time you look at it.
    This is to make you think the seats are getting bought up quickly so that you will buy yours too.

Malodave

14. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Yup... clear your cookies and browser cache when checking out travel sites/hotels/airfare. The price often changes.

citoriguy and H-minus like this.
  15. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

My last experience wasn’t so great either. It looked like most everyone selling Pelican coolers would order direct, ship to site xxx then ship to me. Ordered direct from Pelican and had it in time. I admit it was a last minute impulse buy but OP was weeks out. Price was close enough to not care between sites and some were outright retarded.

It is nice to know about handheld device versus laptop.

16. crispnipz

crispnipz

You may also be able to get even lower prices if you combine this with a VPN that makes it look like you're located in a cheaper city, like somewhere in the midwest.

A few years ago Lowe's was charging different prices in their mobile app versus their website because their price calculation logic was programmed differently in the app versus the website.

And that's why us good programmers handle pricing on the server-side. :emoji_thumbsup:

17. btnh6668

btnh6668 NES Member

with their terrible service i am very surprised many still shops there.

18. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Chrome has this built in. Google "Chrome user agent switching" and switch to an Android phone browser.

It's also useful if you use 3rd party tethering like June Fabrics and don't want to tell you call carrier that you need to be billed an extra $15 a month or so for tethering your laptop to your cell.