• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OpticsPlanet Pricing - Desktop vs Mobile

Knicks

NES Member
Before placing an order at optics planet check your mobile device for a a better price. Heres one item that I purchased that was 20% cheaper on mobile.

IMG_6345-25-07-19-12-27.PNG Capture.JPG

I really wish they didn't charge tax, always discount codes available to sweeten the deal but tax kills it.
Have to start sending stuff to my friends across the border.

I emailed their support staff about this awhile back. It seems that everyone on mobile gets their VIP pricing, while only select folks get the same via the desktop browser.

Not for nothing, but this practice is very common. I'm surprised that an enterprising developer hasn't created a free app/plugin to spoof sites about device type and location to ensure "best pricing"... or maybe it has been done and I'm just lazy with my google foo.

That’s weird. Wonder what other sites do that, if any. Thanks for the head’s up!

Just about every major ecommerce website does this in one form or another. Maybe not specifically mobile vs desktop, but most large websites will give what they consider new viewers (ie. first time on website) a bit of a bigger discount to entice new business. The worst are travel websites for this offense. There are ways to check though. You basically have to trick the website into thinking you've never been there before.

The crazy part is that this type of action works against loyal customers who often cruise the same websites, as your tracking footprint and frequency typically means the more you look at them, the less they offer you in these type of price adjustment discounts. You still might end up getting coupons for being a good customer, but maybe not the best base prices.

When looking at flights to book, I have seen the price go up each subsequent time you look at it.
This is to make you think the seats are getting bought up quickly so that you will buy yours too.

Malodave

Interesting.

I gave up ordering from Optics Planet because it seemed that everything I ordered from them suddenly was on back order - and I tend to buy stuff I need now or in the near future.
My last experience wasn’t so great either. It looked like most everyone selling Pelican coolers would order direct, ship to site xxx then ship to me. Ordered direct from Pelican and had it in time. I admit it was a last minute impulse buy but OP was weeks out. Price was close enough to not care between sites and some were outright retarded.

It is nice to know about handheld device versus laptop.

Yup... clear your cookies and browser cache when checking out travel sites/hotels/airfare. The price often changes.

You may also be able to get even lower prices if you combine this with a VPN that makes it look like you're located in a cheaper city, like somewhere in the midwest.

Just about every major ecommerce website does this in one form or another. Maybe not specifically mobile vs desktop, but most large websites will give what they consider new viewers (ie. first time on website) a bit of a bigger discount to entice new business. The worst are travel websites for this offense. There are ways to check though. You basically have to trick the website into thinking you've never been there before.

A few years ago Lowe's was charging different prices in their mobile app versus their website because their price calculation logic was programmed differently in the app versus the website.

And that's why us good programmers handle pricing on the server-side. :emoji_thumbsup:

Not for nothing, but this practice is very common. I'm surprised that an enterprising developer hasn't created a free app/plugin to spoof sites about device type and location to ensure "best pricing"... or maybe it has been done and I'm just lazy with my google foo.
Chrome has this built in. Google "Chrome user agent switching" and switch to an Android phone browser.

It's also useful if you use 3rd party tethering like June Fabrics and don't want to tell you call carrier that you need to be billed an extra $15 a month or so for tethering your laptop to your cell.

Dusting off an old thread because I didn't want to start a new one.

I generally like Optics Planet. They usually have what I need, and will price match. They have a decent return policy and good support.

They have slowed down a bit due to Coronabullshit, so I had to wait several weeks to receive a 4x ACOG I had ordered for a lightweight AR I just built and it came in with broken glass.

An ACOG!?! You can literally throw these against a brick f'ing wall and they still work. Now I'm sure it will takes months to replace. F me.

Okay, I'm done ranting. Thanks for listening, I feel much better.

IMG_20200407_120621.jpg

Opticsplanet is a strange company - kinda like Walmart they use their platform to sell all sorts of stuff (like sometimes searching for boat parts I get hits for them, stuff they never stock or sell rather just makes a list of parts a vendor they have an agreement with sells or something)..

Gotta be real careful placing orders if you want stuff fast (one backordered item holds up shipping on everything) but if you don't mind waiting just about everything is a square deal there all the time with free shipping. I tend to buy all my AR parts there, ie that $400 retail barrel nobody has in stock you can place an order for $320 - may take 5 weeks but it eventually shows up.

Opticsplanet is a strange company - kinda like Walmart they use their platform to sell all sorts of stuff (like sometimes searching for boat parts I get hits for them, stuff they never stock or sell rather just makes a list of parts a vendor they have an agreement with sells or something)..

Gotta be real careful placing orders if you want stuff fast (one backordered item holds up shipping on everything) but if you don't mind waiting just about everything is a square deal there all the time with free shipping. I tend to buy all my AR parts there, ie that $400 retail barrel nobody has in stock you can place an order for $320 - may take 5 weeks but it eventually shows up.
Yeah, I generally do not mind waiting in order to save money. I'm not rushing off to save the planet.

I got a ATN NVM14-2 from them (st paddy’s sale and used my optics planet bucks, cost me less then $600) and it showed up with corrosion in the battery tube and wont power up, looked to be a brand new battery with no signs of leaking which leads me to believe it was a known issue when shipped too me....

We will see how the exchange goes.

Interesting.

I gave up ordering from Optics Planet because it seemed that everything I ordered from them suddenly was on back order - and I tend to buy stuff I need now or in the near future.
this has been a common complaint for them for years.

They do not make it obvious, but they clearly tell you in stock and how many. If you do not see that, it's not in stock, period. There is a little "check availability" link, if something is not in stock tends to say random periods of time like "7 to 22 days" and it is completely unreliable - can ship in a day or 30 days.

I think the trouble is they do not clearly state "backorder" - people just assume it's in stock, or they order 1 item that's not in stock and it holds up the entire order.

Back
Top Bottom