• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Optics for AR

I will check those out, thanks.

edit: Ok, $900 is a bit more than I wanted to spend. I should clarify, $350 -$450 would be OK.

Last edited:
For a scope, you could do a lot worse than the 10X SuperSniper from SWFA. $300

Trijicon ReflexII is real nice up to 200yds if you want to go the no-magnification route.

I will check those out, thanks.

edit: Ok, $900 is a bit more than I wanted to spend. I should clarify, $350 -$450 would be OK.

OK, the ACOG is out.

NIB EOTech 512s and Aimpont Comp C3s can be had for about $350. Add another $100 or so for a mount from Larue Tactical (none better) and you are set for about $450.

Before you buy one,you should try them all out first.

Do you want a scope or an optic like Aimpoint or Eotech ? I sold an ACOG TA31,tried a few versions of the Eotech and settled on a Aimpoint M3.If you mainly shoot for groups,magnification would be a better option at 100 yds.I shoot reactive targets about 99.9% of the time,and the Aimpoint is the one I prefer.

You can find ACOG's like the TA01 for under $600..

Last edited:
From personal experience....I have an Acog TA11F, a compact acog TA47-4,
an Eotech and an Aimpoint comp M3. The TA11F is a bit pricey but it's 3.5x mag. and glowing chevron can't be beat from 50-300 meters+ IMHO. It's a fantastic product.

I have found the Aimpoint is the best 0-150 meters scope for me. Ultra fast target acquisition. You shoot with both eyes open and you can hardly see the scope body. All you see is the red dot. Mine is the 2 moa. Smaller the better for longer range, it won't cover a lot of the target. Don't skimp on the scope base though...LaRue makes the best.

Hope this helps you.

I just bought an AR have the same questions I need magnification. Jryan is right ACOG near $900 out of my price range. I've got a Burris 8-32x but it won't fit on my AR it's an A4 config so some thing compact would be nice.

JRyan.... Here are 2 targets hit with an M4 @ 100 yards using match ammo.

The first is with the Aimpoint CompM3 and
aimpointia6.jpg

The 2nd is with the mini Acog 2x20 amber triangle.
miniacogcg5.jpg

The 3rd is with the TA11F out of a Bushmaster 20"
rifle. All are sand bag rest (front only) and 3 cups of coffee.
ta11fap3.jpg

Nothing can beat the Aimpoint inside of 50 yrds for speed and it's more than sufficient at 100 yds. Don't forget the Aimpoint will go for 5 years+ on a battery.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignore my Email. Now I see pictures, just with tags visible.

Previously all I saw were a long string of URLs, no pics.

Nice shooting!

ETA: I cleaned up the tags some more for you. Nice job.

Last edited:
Trijicon Acog TA11F Red chevron w/bdc reticle. They are not cheap run around 900+ but worth every penny.

I may pick up something really cheap (like a $50 Simmons) then just save up for the Acog at the end of 07. It looks like it's really worth it.

JRyan...you can get the same results from a descent scope say 3-9 Leupold or Nikon with a LaRue mount for around $400-$450. That will give you easier groupings (provided your a proficient shooter) if that's what your after and you can take it off/on with no loss of zero. It will be more difficult obviously @ close ranges though (from a tactical perspective).

Too bad there isn't a scope for every shooting situation and inexpensive too boot .

Last edited:
JRyan...you can get the same results from a descent scope say 3-9 Leupold or Nikon with a LaRue mount for around $400-$450. That will give you great groupings if that's what your after and you can take it off with no loss of zero. It will be tough @ close ranges though.

Too bad there isn't a scope for every shooting situation and inexpensive too boot .

Hmm, I wonder then if I should go that route with BUIS? I'll attempt to try as many as I can.

Back
Top Bottom