Opinions on ther NRA

They kept lobbying for changes to a bill that should have been pretty much a done deal. They wanted to fit it into their perfect country-wide plan instead of just going for it in nh. Dig up the thread, it's all in there. From what I understand infighting between local orgs in NH didn't help either.

I did read that thread and all I heard was incoherent NRA bashing while the two home grown local groups couldn't get out of each other's way.

I keep hearing about how the NRA should never compromise in one post and then I hear that the NH bill died because they refused to compromise in another.

I keep hearing how they should get more involved in state and local matters in one post and then hear how they should but out and leave it to the locals in another.

You can't please everyone.

Maybe folks should get more involved with the NRA, get new blood in, and change it to a more hard-lined RKBA org, like the SAF or GOA. I agree that it is an org that is anti RKBA, meaning "Any infringement for any reason" is anti-RKBA.

In the mean time, I think it is an excellent resource for furthering education and marksmanship.

Weather we like it or not, the NRA exists, and we should use it to drive the goals that we want. If they are the biggest ship, why don't we have more folks here fighting to get to the helm? Get involved and make it what you want it to be.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" <-- this holds true for all of our local clubs, GOAL, and the NRA.

every law passed that infringed on our 2A rights has had the NRA involved and complicit in the violation of the 2A

Join JPFO if you don't want to be in bed with people who have sold you out

What does JFPO actually do, or try to do? I've read a few articles from them, but that is about all I can recall.

The NRA is to lawful firearms owners what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are to black people. If either group worked thoroughly and effectively for its constituents, it would be out of business in short order as there would be no fight remaining to win. The NRA makes too much money in the business of fighting for 2A rights. It would be bad business for the NRA to actually win.

Chris

The NRA is to lawful firearms owners what Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are to black people. If either group worked thoroughly and effectively for its constituents, it would be out of business in short order as there would be no fight remaining to win. The NRA makes too much money in the business of fighting for 2A rights. It would be bad business for the NRA to actually win.

Chris

I used to think on that line, but what happens when we do "win"? Do think it's ever an all or nothing proposition? We once had full 2A rights which as a collective, we let get taken away piece by piece. I don't think that the work would ever be finished, because there would always be some politician, or civic organization fighting for more laws and regulations to protect everyone from the evil gun owners.

For those of you who are new and trying to decide what the NRA is about it would be helpful to know that most of us on NES are used to the few guys like Glockaholic and 2A Compliant who regularly take an anti-NRA position on everything, project unrealistic expectations that no organizations can meet, and personally denigrate anyone who doesn’t agree with them.

These are the same bully tactics the anti-gun lobby and media use - throw around exaggerated, unsubstantiated claims, sow seeds of doubt and distrust and create division amongst gun owners so they cannot agree and work together.

It is apparent, even after their facts are shown to be exaggerated or wrong, that their only purpose is to leave gun owners with a negative image of the NRA and discourage membership and financial support.

While the microscopic membership anti-gun forces receives huge financial and media support from the wealthy anti-gun lobby, the NRA depends on financial and membership support mostly from us gun owners

The antidote to their “poison” is to get and stay informed of the NRA activities. Decide for yourself. Figure out which side you want to be on. There are several other RKBA organizations and the good ones work with the NRA.

1. Get and stay informed with “The First Freedom” NRA’s monthly magazine for the most consistent in depth info, reporting and analysis on NRAs positions and involvement on gun issues, laws, legislation, gun control, lawsuits and politics.

You can switch your subscription online to the print or the premium digital edition at no charge. If you want to switch or subscribe:
http://www.nramemberservices.org

2. Check each week's issue of the Grassroots Alerts at http://www.NRAILA.org

3. You can also get the daily NRA-ILA legal, legislative and political RKBA e-mail alerts.
Subscribe free at https://secure.nraila.org/EmailSignup.aspx

Last edited:
I used to think on that line, but what happens when we do "win"? Do think it's ever an all or nothing proposition? We once had full 2A rights which as a collective, we let get taken away piece by piece. I don't think that the work would ever be finished, because there would always be some politician, or civic organization fighting for more laws and regulations to protect everyone from the evil gun owners.

While that is true it is pretty apparent to me that most NRA fundraising is through fearmongering. The effectiveness of such fundraising would be diminished in a nation where courts generally respected the rights of the citizen.

I agree with the "we will never be done" thing, but I don't think the NRA is the only vector by which progress can be made. SAF, Comm2A, etc, are all living proof that gun owners need a "broad spectrum" approach to keeping these a**h***s at bay and continuing to marginalize them.

-Mike

I was trying to start a poll but my thread got locked and deleted before I could finish it.

While that is true it is pretty apparent to me that most NRA fundraising is through fearmongering.

Not going to disagree here, but just as an aside Jim Wallace recently presented some interesting stats from GOAL's fundraising activities. Basically doom and gloom gets people to open up their wallets while highlighting the good stuff puts them to right to sleep. If you want dollars you need to get an emotional response out of people. Sad but true.

While that is true it is pretty apparent to me that most NRA fundraising is through fearmongering. The effectiveness of such fundraising would be diminished in a nation where courts generally respected the rights of the citizen.

-Mike

What "fearmongering" has the NRA promoted? It's not fearmongering if the threats are real.

For those of you who are new and trying to decide what the NRA is about it would be helpful to know that most of us on NES are used to the few guys like Acujeff who regularly take an NRA position on everything, project unrealistic expectations that no organizations can meet, and personally denigrate anyone who doesn’t agree with them.

These are the same bully tactics the anti-gun lobby and media use - throw around exaggerated, unsubstantiated claims, sow seeds of doubt and distrust and create division amongst gun owners so they cannot agree and work together.

It is apparent, even after their facts are shown to be exaggerated or wrong, that their only purpose is to leave gun owners with a positive image of the NRA and encourage membership and financial support.

While the microscopic membership anti-gun forces receives huge financial and media support from the wealthy anti-gun lobby, the SAF/GOA/COMM2a depends on financial and membership support mostly from us gun owners

The antidote to their “poison” is to get and stay informed. Decide for yourself. Figure out which side you want to be on. There are several other RKBA organizations and the good ones that won't waste your membership fees constantly mailing you for additional donations.

1. Get and stay informed on your local politicians positions and involvement on gun issues, laws, legislation, gun control, lawsuits and politics.

2. Join your local RKBA group and be active with them

3. You can also get the daily NRA-ILA legal, legislative and political RKBA e-mail alerts. if you like
Subscribe free at https://secure.nraila.org/EmailSignup.aspx[/QUOTE] and not waste money on programs that are almost entirely on designed to protect the rights of upland hunters and trap shooters

Chris

The same is true for GOAL.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

if my club didnt make it a requirement to be member i would never join. Back when i was a naive youngster i was a member, but then i realized they are never going to do anything to change the status of MA so I stopped giving them my money.

The only way for the NRA to even look into helping us in MA is if we do all the work to better this god forsaken state. groups like GOAL (even with the TOM debacle) COM2A and others are leaps and bounds more productive than the NRA.

Its basically a "What have you done for me lately" type of feeling towards the NRA. If they stepped up and came to MA in a full frontal attack on the infringement by our state government. MAYBE they would get my money

We're very insuslar, here.

Yes, the NRA has written off Mass.....but we Ma**h***s are also subject to federal crap, too, and whatever its faults, NRA is still the loudest voice that's not against us at the national level.

When the other .orgs approach the level of hate that NRA gets from the antis, then we can talk about "which is better."

We're very insuslar, here.

Yes, the NRA has written off Mass.....but we Ma**h***s are also subject to federal crap, too, and whatever its faults, NRA is still the loudest voice that's not against us at the national level.

When the other .orgs approach the level of hate that NRA gets from the antis, then we can talk about "which is better."

I am sure the antis hate the SAF as much if not more than the NRA they are just too dumb to realize that the SAF isn't the NRA

What "fearmongering" has the NRA promoted? It's not fearmongering if the threats are real.

Every email they send, every article in their magazine is describing the end of the world situation that is somehow happening right at that moment. But guess what, the end of the world isn't coming every time they say so. There are times and situations where real threats are present, and others where there frankly are not.

My last dealing with the NRA was me calling them to change my account information, them giving me some other guy account info (nothing too personal, but dates of previous debits and membership donations that were not mine) and me finally giving up after being transferred around, being told I'm not in the computer after they had my account, them having the right address, then the wrong address, etc. The general incompetence, the massive waste of materials, the fact that the most progress we have seen in a while comes from others and not them, the useless membership services website (which has no way to cancel, btw) have done them in for me.

There are a great many very real threats, and sometimes the NRA does a good job of getting info out to people on the national level, it's just that others do it better and have a better record. I have been on the fence for a while as I really like what the NRA does in terms of youth education (at least from the youth marksmanship things I've read here), but the political side and membership services have left me sour.

Back
Top Bottom