Opinions on Beretta 92FS 9MM

IMHO, just a damn sexy gun, but quirky. My biggest complaint is fixed white dot (non nite) sites -- pull this off the night stand in the pitch of night and you are going by muscle memory for sight acquisition. I'm sure this can/has been addressed if you really wanted, but I don't think it would be worth the cost/effort.

It's not my 'go-to' but I won't ever part with it. I believe it a gun worthy of anyone's collection.

Last edited:
And firearm advice from a cop???

And a combat-experienced Marine. In that shit hole called Iraq. Read much? Are the two mutually exclusive? He's black too, in case you are looking for an additional reason to discount his expertise or competence....

I ****ing hate the gun cause it's a POS brick. Might as well buy a Ruger P89. Piss your money away at your peril.

the italian 92 fs was my first gun ever, I will never get ride of it. I would sell my ar's before this pistol. I don't know how the customer service is because it has never needed any service. I think the others are more popular because they make better carry guns and or are cheaper. Buy one! no pistol collection is respectable without one.

I bought one in 1985 in Rhein-main Germany at an Air Force base for very cheap. as for the gun, it is great. I changed the barrel at about 15000 rounds and do the magazine and recoil spring about every 5000 rounds or so. Otherwise, no problems.

My first gun was a Security Six, that should date me, all you little boys out there. Grow up. We all love our first gun. That does not mean it's worth shit. What's the average age out here? 12?

Hate much dood. We get it. It sucks and you should know cause you know a dood, who's black...and a cop...and a marine... who knows his shit and he said it sucks, and apparently your old. Am I missing something.

Great gun at the range, heavy for a 9mm, not much recoil, very accurate and nice to shoot, high-caps available.
Big grip, bad place for a safety/decocker, activating safety drops hammer, length-of-pull is long on DA.

Carried one in Iraq for a year ... now I HATE the thing!
Just my .02 - each hand can find a gun that fits it well.

Last edited:
I have one and I think it's okay. I find it far too big and far too heavy when compared against other modern day 9mm firearms. But it is what it is - a roughly 30 year old design. That said when I got mine I changed out the main spring. Mine is the SA/DA model and I changed out the spring with the DA only model's. This lightened the trigger and made it a much better shooter.

I like the shorter reset in comparison to my Sigs too.

It's not a bad gun for fun. I wouldn't want to log it around all day as a carry option though... and in a SHTF scenario there will be plenty of them around.... So parts would be more easily acquired than say that Browning Hi-Power...

Crap. Buy a real gun. The military does not buy guns based on accuracy or even reliability, just price point. Had one. Had a 96 too. Hated them both. And I hate Glocks too, but I'd rather have a Glock than a 92/96, as would every PD in the universe. I love my SR40C.

Oh, and an ex-Iraq vet showed me how to disable a 92 by walking into the firearm at high speed and popping the disconnect. Not a good gun. He is now a cop and would not touch one with a 10-foot pole.

If it was a crap gun you probably wouldn't be able to win USPSA Production nationals with it.

My first gun was a Security Six, that should date me, all you little boys out there. Grow up. We all love our first gun. That does not mean it's worth shit. What's the average age out here? 12?

I am 44. Infantry Marine. My Dad was a WWII Marine. My first gun was a 1911. Maybe some day when i grow up I will be able to "walk into a loaded firearm at high speed and pop the disconnect". Maybe you could show us how?

I am 44. Infantry Marine. My Dad was a WWII Marine. My first gun was a 1911. Maybe some day when i grow up I will be able to "walk into a loaded firearm at high speed and pop the disconnect". Maybe you could show us how?

[popcorn] Can I see some video of this high speed walking into gun stuff...?

BTW - I bought a used, or rather mint, 92FS off a fellow NES member. Shoots great and I like it for a fun range gun....
Would throw it in the bug out bin with some others due to hi-cap mags and accuracy but I am not going to try and concealed carry it.
Plus, it's cool cause it's the only Italian made gun I own....[smile]

Am I missing something.

Yeah, your asshat opinion is still that of an asshat. And you are apparently still 12. My old beats your stupid any day of the week. Can't fix stupid, as the saying goes....

Buy a 1911 or anything that is still not crap. An M9/FS92 is just functional. Nothing better. Almost every other platform exceeds it. Military bought it. Military regrets it. Stop putting lipstick on that pig.

I'd like to get an INOX one some day. Those are sweet.

92FS_Inox.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

"walk into a loaded firearm at high speed and pop the disconnect". Maybe you could show us how?

Here you go:

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(233, 233, 233);">

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my M9/92 FS. Apparently it's a piece of crap that the military bought for a few pennies.

I wonder who made up all the testing reports in 1980 with Colt, Smith & Wesson, Walther, Star M28, Fabrique Nationale and Heckler & Koch. Or the test reports with guns from Smith & Wesson, Beretta, SIG Sauer, Heckler & Koch, Walther, Steyr, and Fabrique Nationale in 1984? I'm sure glad someone who knows an ex-military black cop is out there to tell us the truth.

Anybody want to buy my POS Beretta? Since it can be defeated by walking into it it's probably only worth a buck three eighty.

IMG_0233_zpsc24d720f.jpg

P.S. I am only 11 apparently

Apocolypse gun because of popularity, hicap mags, ammo. Plus, if you empty it, it makes a good club!

Large for carry (my .02)
Always goes bank with any ammo I use
Comfortable and accurate
High cap mags
I would never get rid of mine and I have never heard a negative form people I know that shoot them.

Yeah, your asshat opinion is still that of an asshat. And you are apparently still 12. My old beats your stupid any day of the week. Can't fix stupid, as the saying goes....

Buy a 1911 or anything that is still not crap. An M9/FS92 is just functional. Nothing better. Almost every other platform exceeds it. Military bought it. Military regrets it. Stop putting lipstick on that pig.

Problem with the Internet is that it's easy to be a dumbass and get away with it.

Buy one, it's going to be one of many firearms you buy with 1000 opinions wrapped around it. I have one and its a blast to shoot. The only thing is now 9mm isn't as cheap and finding it can be hassle.

.....Buy a 1911 or anything that is still not crap. An M9/FS92 is just functional. Nothing better. Almost every other platform exceeds it. Military bought it. Military regrets it. Stop putting lipstick on that pig.

If the military bought it and regrets it, why haven't they looked for something better since 1980 or technically 1984? You would think after almost 30 years they would admit to their mistake and put out a contract for a better one.

Opinions are like a**h***s. I'm sure you know the rest , just look in a mirror.

I love my M9/92 FS. Apparently it's a piece of crap that the military bought for a few pennies.

I wonder who made up all the testing reports in 1980 with Colt, Smith & Wesson, Walther, Star M28, Fabrique Nationale and Heckler & Koch. Or the test reports with guns from Smith & Wesson, Beretta, SIG Sauer, Heckler & Koch, Walther, Steyr, and Fabrique Nationale in 1984? I'm sure glad someone who knows an ex-military black cop is out there to tell us the truth.

Anybody want to buy my POS Beretta? Since it can be defeated by walking into it it's probably only worth a buck three eighty.

IMG_0233_zpsc24d720f.jpg

P.S. I am only 11 apparently

I'll take it! I'de like to thank Swamp_Yankee for his keen insight on this what appears to me a nice quality pistol.

My 92A1 is the bedstand gun with a mounted light and hi cap mag. Its good for when i travel too so the wife can shoot it confidently with little recoil.

Back
Top Bottom