• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion wanted.

Hypothetically, say you're pheasant hunting on a WMA with a good size portion being a wetlands. While walking the pheasent fields, a flock of geese comes in low and slow. Now all seaons are open, you have the right stamps, filled out your HIP survey, etc. You are tageting pheasant, so you have #6 lead shells. Do you take a "gimme shot" like this? I'm talking very low and very slow, doesn't get any better than this. You don't even have to blow on the call, put your set out, beg your buddy with the dog to come along, etc. These must've been city geese or something, lol. Next, how do you handle the Fudds that were 100 yds away and see this and feel the need to meet you at the trail head and chastise you for such unethical behavior?

Hypothetically, of course.

Hypothetically, say you're pheasant hunting on a WMA with a good size portion being a wetlands. While walking the pheasent fields, a flock of geese comes in low and slow. Now all seaons are open, you have the right stamps, filled out your HIP survey, etc. You are tageting pheasant, so you have #6 lead shells. Do you take a "gimme shot" like this? I'm talking very low and very slow, doesn't get any better than this. You don't even have to blow on the call, put your set out, beg your buddy with the dog to come along, etc. These must've been city geese or something, lol. Next, how do you handle the Fudds that were 100 yds away and see this and feel the need to meet you at the trail head and chastise you for such unethical behavior?

Hypothetically, of course.

No.

While I may chat with others in/near the field, I do not have discussions.

And then, there's THIS

Particularly this little tidbit...
toxic-shot.jpg

I have had the same scenario with other migratory birds and always pass.
Even in the absence of Fudds. I really try and play it by the book and set the right example for my son.
If you bend or break one rule, what's the difference if you break others - like bag limits, seasons, shooting hours, etc...

And, although I have never seen an EPO in the field in my area, based on what I heard them say at my son's hunter's ed class - I wouldnt want to get caught with a goose and lead shot. They have no sense of humor and you are looking at an expensive reaming, loss of hunting privleges and possibly loss of gun(s)....

Thanks for the clarification on the laws. This was a situation that happened to a co-worker the other day. We got to talking and since I frequent the form I figured I throw it out to others and see what the general consenus was. My first thought was, "why not? If the shot is there and they are in season, what's the big deal?" I've never given it much thought because I've never taken a shot like that because I don't care for goose. I knew that you are supposed to use non-toxic shot, but like I said, I don't shoot them because I don't eat them. After some clarification, I really need to reconsider my first thoughts. Wrong is wrong, period. I strongly agree with all your responses, thanks again. Needless to say, I may not be taking my colleague's offer to join up for deer season. After chatting some more (he's fairly new) I'm questioning his motives.

There are a few WMA that are pheasent stocked that I have hunted that also have ducks and geese my answer is quite simple I either will shoot black cloud at the pheasents or bring both! There are alot of states that don't alow lead for pheasent hunting out west.. Those guys do fine with steel so why not.. The area I hunted had one pond on it when I was about 200 yards off I switched to steel no ducks then back to lead... There was another wma that was wet all over I hunted with black cloud there.. Then you are legal! Number 2 black cloud takes down just about everything! Good all around But geese you want a close shot! Happy hunting!

No more than 3 shells are allowed in the shotgun when waterfowl hunting. I'm sure that when hunting pheasants one loads a shotgun to its maximum capacity.

No more than 3 shells are allowed in the shotgun when waterfowl hunting. I'm sure that when hunting pheasants one loads a shotgun to its maximum capacity.
I keep the plug at 3 shells in my gun all year no matter what I am hunting... I have actually never had it out.....
I also have never really needed more then 3 shots while hunting...

On the other hand in a hand gun or rifle... at the range or where ever I may be its a preban if its avalible!!

I have no problem with anyone stacking as much ammo as humanly possible in there gun and its legal if the so choose...

Its just alot lighter to carry it in my vest then in my gun!

There are a few WMA that are pheasent stocked that I have hunted that also have ducks and geese my answer is quite simple I either will shoot black cloud at the pheasents or bring both! There are alot of states that don't alow lead for pheasent hunting out west.. Those guys do fine with steel so why not.. The area I hunted had one pond on it when I was about 200 yards off I switched to steel no ducks then back to lead... There was another wma that was wet all over I hunted with black cloud there.. Then you are legal! Number 2 black cloud takes down just about everything! Good all around But geese you want a close shot! Happy hunting!

Better plan on shooting the Black Cloud from now on. Violation to even have anything other than non-toxic shot in posession.

I almost always carry a few steel #6 when duck hunting. Sometimes I will finish the day chasing rabbits, etc.

I almost always carry a few steel #6 when duck hunting. Sometimes I will finish the day chasing rabbits, etc.

If you are duck hunting you are required to have only non-lead in possesion. Right?
If you have lead on you and are deemed to be hunting waterfowl you are in violation I believe.
It's a sad state of affairs but it's the world we live in here in MA....

Better plan on shooting the Black Cloud from now on. Violation to even have anything other than non-toxic shot in posession.

See I didn't know that! Thank you. Such b.s. It is so easy to get jammed up! And I am a guy alot of people see as a go to for hunting law!

Hey they now make prarie storm in steel! So you get a pheasent load in steel! May be a option for you in this situation.

Walmart has been selling Wichester steel for a while at a cheap price, like $6-8 a box, #2-6, and just added 7 1/2. Not my favorite loads, but you get used to it's limitations. And shots are not long early in the season. All I carry until other seasons are closed, then I will switch to denser shot. And even more reason now that fall turkey season has opened around here. I have a few woodie spots I walk into that are loaded with turkeys this time of year, and #6 is legal for turkey.

Is this a question of right/wrong or legal/illegal?

The legal/illegal part is a) how many shells can your shotgun hold and b) do you have lead. If you can cram more than 3 rounds into your shotgun or you have lead on you - it is illegal to take the shot at the geese.
The right/wrong part is hunting two seasons at once - which isn't even a valid point. Hunt what you can when you can in compliance of the law. If they are true Fudds who are ticked off about hunting two seasons at once - tell them to screw.

And personally - I find a second benefit of only carrying 3 rounds in my gun at all times - even for deer: you hear shots in the woods that stop after 3, you're inclined to believe that the guy got what he was aiming at. You hear 5 shots, you head that way knowing the guy missed. I've never connected on the 3rd shot or more personally - so why advertise your crappy shooting?

Back
Top Bottom