opinions on base layers

so ive been doing alot of research on getting new basel layers for those cold cold ass all day sits. im leaning towards Minus 33 expedition weight merino wool .. i think its going to wick the best on the walk in and keep my warm in the sit. But i just came across DULUTH trading new Alaskan heavy weight baselayers .. mostly made with polartech .... also cabelas expedition weight baselayer system ... which i believe is also polartech ... just seeing what guys are wearing and thinking .. not afraid to put some cash on it .. cant put a price on comfort IMHO ..

so ive been doing alot of research on getting new basel layers for those cold cold ass all day sits. im leaning towards Minus 33 expedition weight merino wool .. i think its going to wick the best on the walk in and keep my warm in the sit. But i just came across DULUTH trading new Alaskan heavy weight baselayers .. mostly made with polartech .... also cabelas expedition weight baselayer system ... which i believe is also polartech ... just seeing what guys are wearing and thinking .. not afraid to put some cash on it .. cant put a price on comfort IMHO ..

I've used the cabelas with a wind blocker lined wool over it for years. Never had a problem. For extreme cold cabelas stand hunter system is amazing. I've been out at night coyote hunting in the coldest weather we ever get here and I'm sweating if I'm moving faster than still hunting. You'll be fine with each you've named.

Do you stay warm after a few hours of not moving? I'd like to find some stuff that helps cut down on my bulk for mobility and also to regulate my core temp

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Yes, but keep in mind those layers are just part of a package per say along with your pants and jacket.

I can't tell if he was serious about the cotton or not... [thinking] But yea - cotton is bad um k...

I'm guessing Bone was joking about nothing but cotton

but i've had good success with the cotton and wool union suit. the thin lawyer of cotton wicks the moisture and it's never felt frozen against me like jeans in winter. synthetics are good but sometimes they leave me too dry and I get itchy dry skin. ymmv

and if I'm not moving in freezing temps I need chemical heaters for my toes!

I'm guessing Bone was joking about nothing but cotton

but i've had good success with the cotton and wool union suit. the thin lawyer of cotton wicks the moisture and it's never felt frozen against me like jeans in winter. synthetics are good but sometimes they leave me too dry and I get itchy dry skin. ymmv

and if I'm not moving in freezing temps I need chemical heaters for my toes!

Me too! Toe warmer are a must. The ones they sell at wally world aren't to bad. Combined with a good insulated boot and some wool socks and they are good enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw a Milwaukee heated jacket today - runs on their 12 V batteries. Worth looking into maybe.

Saw that too. too bad they don't make a model that takes their 18v batteries as I'm heavy into their cordless tools M18 platform.

[h=1]Cabela's Men's Thermal Zone® Stand Hunter Bottoms with Polartec® Thermal Pro . The tops and bottoms to these look very comfortable , but has no wool . Im not sure there is a better way to stay warm with out wool.[/h]

Under Armour. I use level 2.0 and level 4.0. The 4.0 I use for sitting still in the cold, like out duck hunting in freezing temps.

The 4.0 is too hot to wear while doing any high ouput activity in anything above 0F.

I'm looking at the Duluth for a trial run. I've been buying a lot of their clothing over the past 2-3 years and all of it has been impressive.

Under Armour. I use level 2.0 and level 4.0. The 4.0 I use for sitting still in the cold, like out duck hunting in freezing temps.

The 4.0 is too hot to wear while doing any high ouput activity in anything above 0F.

I'm looking at the Duluth for a trial run. I've been buying a lot of their clothing over the past 2-3 years and all of it has been impressive.
im abig fan myself of duluth products .. you you do go forward with that please leave a review , certainly interested in hearing about it

100% cotton. #nothingbutcotton

Come on, we know you go native when you go hunting. Which is probably when you watch a hunting show [smile] [smile]

- I personally will never buy any UA clothes for hunting again, just bad quality and does not work for me.

Last edited:
Someone on here (can't remember who) suggested using fleece wader pants as a base layer option. Seemed like a good idea to me as they seem cheaper and are intended to keep you warm when exposed to freezing waters in waders. Even have the strap to keep them from riding up when you put your boots on... something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe...eader%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=wader+pants

I've also had luck with coldpruf

http://www.amazon.com/ColdPruf-Plat...=UTF8&qid=1443973160&sr=8-1&keywords=coldpruf

Last edited:
Layers is the key. Make sure that your base layer has wicking properties; if you sweat you will freeze. When it is cold my usual dress is a base layer of wicking thermals from EMS and wool pants and shirt. When I get to where I am going I put on my a Walls blizzard weight jump suit (no drafts).

For my feet I wear 600gram Thinsulate boots all season. As it gets colder I wear a smart wool sock over a polypropylene wicking sock. When it gets really cold I switch to a buffalow wool sock which is warmer than wool. Once your feet get cold you are done.

I also use hand warmers and toe warmers.

Another thing I have found helpful for me is a Thermacare back wrap. I have had many back surgeries and have a bunch of aftermarket parts in my back.

Bob

I always use polypropylene as my base layer.

If is is really cold and I am sitting I put a thermacare back heat pad right on my lower back over my kidneys.

I always use polypropylene as my base layer.

If is is really cold and I am sitting I put a thermacare back heat pad right on my lower back over my kidneys.

I had never thought of the thermacare back heat and I may have to try that this year and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom