Opinions Best Climbing Stand 2016

wfesta

NES Member
Well as a guy with a little problem with heights I've put this off, but bow hunting from the ground isn't paying off. Got to be up a bit. Want to get a climbing stand. I only hunt public land so its going to come in and out everyday. I take a pack full of stuff (probably have to lighten that) plus my bow. I have hunted from stands before but wasn't my favorite thing. After I had knee surgery I haven't past two years. Never used a climber.

Any and all opinions welcome

Thank You

I have a summit blade. Folds flat weights like 21lbs and is a sit and climb. Think they replaced this year with something new. Great stand and the fold flat makes it a bit easier to pack in and out. Iv never felt more safe in a tree stand. I actually take a nap in the stand when I go out super early.

I have a summit blade. Folds flat weights like 21lbs and is a sit and climb. Think they replaced this year with something new. Great stand and the fold flat makes it a bit easier to pack in and out. Iv never felt more safe in a tree stand. I actually take a nap in the stand when I go out super early.

Yea I fall asleep all the time when going dark to dark.... So feeling safe up there is a big concern.

Thank you!

I found that my friends Summit Viper made a bit of noise when climbing. If being completely silent is important to you. You might not be too happy with a climber.

I found that my friends Summit Viper made a bit of noise when climbing. If being completely silent is important to you. You might not be too happy with a climber.

Thanks, It is important, but there is a convenience factor. Easy to pack in and out. I don;t have allot of friends locally that hunt so I can't try these things out to get a feel. Hunt by myself most of the time. Kind of teaching myself and learning along the way the last 4 - 5 years.

So you use a hanger and pack it in and out (looking at your post) ? really haven't seen how climbing sticks would work. Used em in a buddies stand but they were just setup and left there.

If you are height sensitive, or a napper, then I strongly recommend a climber with a bar around the front.

FWIW:

I also recommend stabilizer straps for Third Hand archery is the climber you buy doesn't have them. Some do Summit doesn't. Summit comes with a strap to secure the seat platform to the tree. The stabilizer straps are far superior IMO.

Make sure that the top and bottom platforms are connected together with something. I use the stabilizer straps. It's no fun when you are in a tree and the bottom platform falls to the ground.[hmmm]

Buy a good harness and use it.

Find a tree somewhere convient and practice prior to the season. Practice the entire process from unpacking the stand, going up/down, and packing up the stand and your pack for travel.

Practice shooting out of it and bending at the waist.

Take small bites going up and down to start. You will find your rhythm.

Bob

I've gotten very restful sleep in my Summit Viper.

New ones are supposedly quieter. Maybe some expanding foam? I've often locked mine to the base of a tree in between stands. No problems, other than some critters gnawing on it a bit.

I'm 240lb now, down from just under three bills. I have a Summit climber and feel very safe in it then & now. Turning around at the top is the worst part. I bought an upgraded harness than the one that came standard. Practice in your yard a few times before going out in the woods. Buy a couple haul lines with carabiners.

My climber is powdercoated steel. It's not lightweight. Price was sadly the #1 factor. I am able to pack mine out and leave it locked to a tree for two week shotgun season. Pay more for lightweight aluminum if you're really going to pack it in&out daily.

I'm looking into these too so thanks for the op and info. I'll look into the Viper - the good napping comment sold me.

But adding more to haul in, not looking forward to that.

So honest question, how much does a stand improve your odds?

Like someone said earlier. Buy a good harness. The ones that come with the stands are impossible to put on in the dark. The viper is the best stand yo can buy for the money.

So honest question, how much does a stand improve your odds?

It is a big help. But it isn't the be all and end all of deer hunting.

The big advantage is that a treestand gets you above their normal field of vision. It also gets your scent stream above their nose. Deer do look up sometimes and air current can do funny things with your scent stream.

Keep in mind that the higher you go the smaller the shot window gets. Aim for the arrow exit and only go as high as you need to. My pull up ropes are 25'. I have never needed to go higher.

Most tree stand shoulder straps leave much to be desired. I put a set of Mollie straps and a waist belt on mine. It cut the felt weight in half.

Killing them on the ground is tougher and everything needs to be right. That said, I have killed a lot of deer on the ground. I shot a nice 8 pointer at 7 yards on the ground a few years back. He never knew I was there until the arrow had come and gone. Make sure that you have some cover in don't and behind you. It is critically important to make sure that the "L" shape make by your head and shoulders is broken up.

All of my gun hunting is done on the ground.

Bob

I have a Summit Viper (steel) that does not lie flat and I find it heavy and awkward to carry. Works well.
Go light (less than 21 pounds). I like the sound of that Summit Blade.

I have the Assault Hand Climber II. It's pretty bare bones. You definitely do not want to fall asleep in it. If you want to come up to New Boston, NH and try it out some weekend you're more than welcome to.

Fitz

I nap in my Summit Viper. I kill deer out of my lone wolf assault hang on w/ 4 sticks. I love being in the viper. It's comfortable. But I hate that it's so noisy it scares all the deer away when I'm setting up. Or even walking in. It clanks, clacks, or whatever everytime a branch hits or rubs against it. Admittedly - it only came out one time last year for an all day rut hunt. Every other day - I was in my Lone Wolf Assault.

Last edited:
I have a Summit Viper (steel) that does not lie flat and I find it heavy and awkward to carry. Works well.
Go light (less than 21 pounds). I like the sound of that Summit Blade.

Summit no longer sells the blade. Bought mine in 2009 but they came out this year with a newer model that also folds flat. Only difference I can see is it weights 2lbs more which im assuming is the foam that they now pack in the frame to deaden the sound more.

I actually used spray foam and filled mine up and it made a huge difference. That and I added a Alice pack frame and strap to the platform and it makes carrying it even easier.

I like my ol' man climber because of the mesh net seat. Helps so that my butt doesn't fall asleep

I like my ol' man climber because of the mesh net seat. Helps so that my butt doesn't fall asleep

Have a ole man aswell. Hate the thing. Can't climb narrow trees because the seat width on mine changes with the width of a tree. Not sure if all models do this but mine sits at home. This on top of the fact that it only holds in pine tree. Tried climbing a few oak trees and it just wants to slide down the tree.

Have a ole man aswell. Hate the thing. Can't climb narrow trees because the seat width on mine changes with the width of a tree. Not sure if all models do this but mine sits at home. This on top of the fact that it only holds in pine tree. Tried climbing a few oak trees and it just wants to slide down the tree.

Not sure on the model of mine but seat width doesn't vary, and it bites great on everything I've ever tried to climb....not sure I've ever tried pine trees, mostly oak and maples....no sap!

Not sure on the model of mine but seat width doesn't vary, and it bites great on everything I've ever tried to climb....not sure I've ever tried pine trees, mostly oak and maples....no sap!

I have the Alumalite Model. Pine mine grabs just fine but oak or maple and it just wont bite in good. Could deal with the width problem but The not biting in is the killer for me. Will admit its super comfortable to sit in. Might use it as a hang on with a few ratchet straps this year

Bought this XOP stand last fall and love it. Field supply still has a great price on them as well.

http://www.fieldsupply.com/general-store/xop-strike-force-climber-tree-stand.html

I have a Summit Viper and an XOP. The XOP is similar to the one you posted but has the full back chair and a bar for the sit and climb and the bar folds out of the way for hunting. Here are my thoughts:

Summit. Pro: Rock solid and stable. Comfortable for long sits. Cons: Bulky, heavy, noisy. Bar around the front so I am forced to stand and shoot. I like to stay seated if the conditions permit.
XOP: Pro's: Super light way, folds flat and is much easier to pack in and out. No front bar. Cons: Not as comfy as the Summit. Not as stable as the summit but still is plenty stable.

Back
Top Bottom