• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion please: 357 magnum or sig

I wish that they made a semiauto .357 magnum carbine, that take desert eagle magazine.i heard that .357 mag hit harder out of a carbine length barrel.
There's a [site] for that: Ballistics By The Inch

357MAG
357SIG
For reference, 223REM

ETA - this is how I convinced myself to buy my Henry carbine. 357MAG out of a 16" barrel is comparable to 223 (maybe even a little more muzzle energy) depending on ammo selection.

Last edited:
There's a [site] for that: Ballistics By The Inch

357MAG
357SIG
For reference, 223REM

what a set of nuts on the guy firing the corbon out of the snake slayer.

So I hate to say it depends, but it does... what are you going to do with it? While I agree with what a lot of people have said, everyone needs at least one wheel gun, if you're picking this up for fun at the range, self defense, or you have so many guns already and just want a new toy, then opinion doesn't matter as much. Then the question would be - I want a 357 magnum, what brand and length barrel to I want to buy for (fill in the blank). Then we can all tell you why we love our SW, Colt, Ruger, etc.

For comparison I've got both, 357 mag in 6 inch and snub nose, and a Glock 22 .40 with extra .357 sig barrel. Personally I love shooting the Glock with .357 sig much more that playing with the wheel guns. I'm more comfortable with a pistol grip (even combat grips on the revolver only help a little) and I like the balance on the Glock.

If it's just for fun, I'd go 357 sig. If it's for self defense, I'd wouldn't rush to carry either. Personally I like something easily concealed, like a Sig P365 or if in a suit a P238. I'm sure other people will talk about the reliability of wheel guns and I'd agree with them, but proper training takes care of how to clear jams, and dud rounds.

Finally, if this is for self defense, training and practice is more important. So many new shooters buy guns they can't handle well. Don't go for a more powerful round if you can't hit the target, you never know what you will hit when you miss.

Anyone else starting to think this dude is @308rifleman sneaking back in from his perma-ban for being a perma-douche?

Too many similarities here to ignore. I wonder if his wife’s name is Jill or if that’s his sons BFF that also got kicked out of the ‘navy’ for refusing anthrax vac.

178D16CE-8992-45FC-AA89-8ADB0E71BC46.png C873F1D7-4A10-4BD0-9A83-CC7067EB8EDE.png

When I was 21 years old, my boss (an army officer) took me to a gun range and let me shoot every handgun he owned.
This helped me decide on buying my first handgun.

Same advise to you - go shoot both and see which you like.

Personally, I find a 38 special is OK, a 357 magnum hurts my hand after a few shots.
But I can readily take everything in a semi-auto - 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45acp, and 45super.
There is something terrible about the grip geometry of a revolver - pacmyr rubber grips help, but not enough.

Of course, you might love the revolver.
You need to try it.

Back
Top Bottom