• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opinion please: 357 magnum or sig

While I love my .357 Mag revolvers, of your two somewhat odd choices, I would carry the semi auto 357 Sig cartridge. Jerry Miculek may disagree, but the semi autos are more capable pistols.

Honestly, you said you carried something in 9x19. Stick to that. Plenty of good defense rounds out there. Look for some of DocGKR's lists.

If you still want mo power, look into 10mm. Several capable pistols in full and semi compact size.

Fair questions. Concealed. Looking for something more powerful than my 9. Probably a psychological thing, but I am conviced I would be better able to protect myself with a 357. I am open to suggestions.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 9mm for self defense. Of course buy and carry what you like, but I just want to reiterate that almost every police department (and the military) carry 9mm pistols into the shit every day.

My caliber of choice is .45, but I’m quite comfortable with a 9 also.

Good points, but I am a very big guy so I can carry a revolver easily. It would be my primary and my 9 would be my secondary.
If you’re that big wtf are you so worried about defending yourself? Lol, seriously, I think it makes an enormous difference if you’re carrying a full sized revolver w a 4” barrel vs a snub. I’m not a fan of .357 mag in a typical carry snub, I think you lose too much in the ballistics to make it worth it, not to mention how crappy they are to train with. Full size 4” .357 revolver? Nothing wrong w that.

While I love my .357 Mag revolvers, of your two somewhat odd choices, I would carry the semi auto 357 Sig cartridge. Jerry Miculek may disagree, but the semi autos are more capable pistols.

Honestly, you said you carried something in 9x19. Stick to that. Plenty of good defense rounds out there. Look for some of DocGKR's lists.

If you still want mo power, look into 10mm. Several capable pistols in full and semi compact size.
Ok, good points, but why are my choices odd, not looking to argue, just be edumacated

Open or concealed carry and why those particular calibers? I think a better question would be semi or revolver for <insert open or concealed> EDC. Then I’d begin discussing calibers and I certainly wouldn’t limit it to those two.
good question. have a .357 revolver, s&w619, would never be a carry gun. also have a henry in .357 which i also would not edc[rofl].

never shot a sig .357 semi, but would not be averse to trying one.

If you’re that big wtf are you so worried about defending yourself? Lol, seriously, I think it makes an enormous difference if you’re carrying a full sized revolver w a 4” barrel vs a snub. I’m not a fan of .357 mag in a typical carry snub, I think you lose too much in the ballistics to make it worth it, not to mention how crappy they are to train with. Full size 4” .357 revolver? Nothing wrong w that.
I am an easier target to hit. That’s not a wise crack, but a skinny guy is a smaller target. Good points though. Thanks.

I have a GP100; (.38/.357), and a Glock 31, (357Sig).

Personally, (OP did ask for opinions), I'd never carry a revolver as a primary weapon. Semis have more capacity and are much faster to reload. Plus I shoot my Glocks quite a bit, so I'm very comfortable with their platform.

I reload, so cost isn't a significant factor differentiating between the two.

My GP100 is significantly easier to shoot well than my G31. The steel frame soaks up the recoil. But I wouldn't use either round in my carry gun. They're both loud, have recoil and create fireballs.

My choice of caliber for carry is 9mm. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of it and I'm very comfortable with it. Modern day ammo has sufficient stopping power, and the ability to fire multiple shots in quick succession is more valuable to me than the difference in ballistics between the 9mm and .357sig.

If OP wants more stopping power, I'd go with a .45 semi. Another tried and true platform. (And yeah, I've got a couple .45s too).

Probably hashed out, but I’d like to know your opinion. If you were to go out today, would you buy a 357 magnum revolver or a 357 sig semi? And why or why not? I am leaning towards the revolver at the moment as this will be an EDC.
.357 magnum is better choice. More ammo options.

Many good points.

But I would still go with a decent .357 revolver over the sig.

Imho...everyone should own at least 1 decent .357 wheel gun
(and a matching .357 lever rifle). But owning several is also good.

:)
I agree on the 357 combo of whell gun and rifle. It's great to be able to reload and feed a handgun and rifle at the same session at the bench.

I've acquired recently a ruger 44 carbine......and am already making ammo for it......so a 44 mag revolver will be my next purchase.

Ok, good points, but why are my choices odd, not looking to argue, just be edumacated

Not really odd choices. Use whatever works.
The difference between the two, aside from the obvious size or length, is the Sig is a little more useful in a shorter barrel, or has "better numbers" in a 3" compact bottom feed.
The mag was designed more towards the old 4-6" wheelguns, thats where its more effective. Put it in a 2" and it loses some of its effectiveness. I'm assuming your looking for a snub.
Its just the nature of the beast.
Limited to those 2 calibers you spec'd, I'd say Sig for the win.
If it absolutely has to be a wheelgun, theres plenty of caliber options out there more suited for a snub/ short barrel, like 9mm, .38, .32 anything, .22 anything

I’ve been researching 357mag revolvers for six months. I started shopping in earnest about a month ago.
Then I came across a West German 220.

I chose the Sig.

Perhaps odd wasn't the best term, but it was easy for me to spell. I personally have never seen the two options compared. Well except for a sign in a gun shop saying that 357 Sig wouldn't fit in a revolver.

all pre coffee, but more expanding my thoughts
.357 Mag in a revolver is one of my favorite handgun rounds. I have six(?) revolvers in it and am trying to find an affordable pre safety lever gun or a 77/357, I like it that much. So many varieties in magnum loads and you can also take it down a notch or two with 38+P or 38. 357Mag doesn't make an awesome defense round unless you've trained with it bit and learned to control the recoil. .38+P in a revolver would be easier.

.357Sig. Another capable round, but few variations to it. Kind of a solution looking for a problem so to speak. It will be easier to shoot than the revolver.

Of the two, I would still stick with the easier to shoot and higher capacity semi auto cartridge.

9x19 has come a long way since it was introduced in the early 1900s and you already carry a 9mm. A good article here which has 357 sig vs 9x19 gel tests. Also goes into the why of 357Sig, hence the strikethrough above. .357 Sig: What's the Point of this Cartridge?

At the end of the day though first rule of a gunfight is to??? besides trying to avoid it, it is to bring a gun. Preferably something you can shoot several times well in a stressful situation.

More ammo options.
Misinformation... In my .357 Sig SD ammo can right now is Underwood 124 HP, hornady 125gr flex tip, hornady 125xtp, golden saber 124gr, goldot 124gr, Sig vcrown 125gr minuteman Montana gold, Corbon etc.

Also if I wanted range ammo I could buy 1k rounds @ TSUSA right now for less than .357M, if you can even find it.
I love .357M have two revolvers and a lever gun, but the ammo argument isn’t true anymore.

Perhaps odd wasn't the best term, but it was easy for me to spell. I personally have never seen the two options compared. Well except for a sign in a gun shop saying that 357 Sig wouldn't fit in a revolver.

all pre coffee, but more expanding my thoughts
.357 Mag in a revolver is one of my favorite handgun rounds. I have six(?) revolvers in it and am trying to find an affordable pre safety lever gun or a 77/357, I like it that much. So many varieties in magnum loads and you can also take it down a notch or two with 38+P or 38. 357Mag doesn't make an awesome defense round unless you've trained with it bit and learned to control the recoil. .38+P in a revolver would be easier.

.357Sig. Another capable round, but few variations to it. Kind of a solution looking for a problem so to speak. It will be easier to shoot than the revolver.

Of the two, I would still stick with the easier to shoot and higher capacity semi auto cartridge.

9x19 has come a long way since it was introduced in the early 1900s and you already carry a 9mm. A good article here which has 357 sig vs 9x19 gel tests. Also goes into the why of 357Sig, hence the strikethrough above. .357 Sig: What's the Point of this Cartridge?

At the end of the day though first rule of a gunfight is to??? besides trying to avoid it, it is to bring a gun. Preferably something you can shoot several times well in a stressful situation.
The Lucky gunner is a fraud. He advocates Wadcutters in a revolver because 38+p has “too much recoil” Unless there is some wrist injury or arthritis this is horrible advice.

Trying to advise someone on what to EDC is difficult as there are SO many variable preferences within the equation. I've been carrying now for about 3 years and I went through a LOT of thought process , endless hours watching vids, and the best help was talking with my fellow gun club members and allowing me to test their EDC setups. You talk with 5 different people you will get 7 different opinions and 20 different gun suggestions. I'm at the total opposite of you I am very thin so carry is a challenging issue. Comfortable concealment is a problem with my build. I've ultimately settled on a Beretta Nano compact 9mm with a High Noon Skin guard OWB holster for my cold weather carry under a jacket / hoodie . For summer Tee shirt weather I pocket carry a Kimber Micro 380 in a Desantis Nemesis holster. It took me a few tries with OWB holsters to find the "right" one.

My first gun was the SP101 in 357. Then the tracker is on loan from someone and then the Henry. The judge is just because it’s a wheel gun. And with the liberty ammo sometimes you get a flame thrower. Always a show stopper at the indoor range.
haven't shot 357 sig. so I can’t help there but I can say 357 is fun to shoot an I reload my own.

Attachments

• FDC0C475-0CF9-4567-B6FF-4F7D3E325F14.jpeg
    FDC0C475-0CF9-4567-B6FF-4F7D3E325F14.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 9
The Lucky gunner is a fraud. He advocates Wadcutters in a revolver because 38+p has “too much recoil” Unless there is some wrist injury or arthritis this is horrible advice.

He aggregates data all in one place. Just because he makes interesting comments on 38+P doesn't mean I will disregard the whole thing.

Ayoob has said a couple of things that I don't agree with, but I'm typically going to read his articles first.

I’d have to disagree that getting a 3” bbl in 357 mag has you loosing some on ballistic and ergonomics. I have revolvers with 2”, 3”, 4” and 6” bbls and hands down my S&W 686+ with a 3” bbl is my most well balanced revolver out of them. Accurate and easy to handle.

I’m going to take a couple to the range chrono them to see how much you really lose with 3” bbl over a 4” bbl.

I'd go with a 357 revolver, shoots 38spl, shoots shot shells, can be down loaded for very light loads without concern of a cycling issue in a semi auto.

He aggregates data all in one place. Just because he makes interesting comments on 38+P doesn't mean I will disregard the whole thing.

probably a more reasonable approach than mine. However after watching a couple hours of his YouTube videos one night mod-Covid... idk for me there seems to be a lot of better options for advice out there.

Misinformation... In my .357 Sig SD ammo can right now is Underwood 124 HP, hornady 125gr flex tip, hornady 125xtp, golden saber 124gr, goldot 124gr, Sig vcrown 125gr minuteman Montana gold, Corbon etc.
Those are all the same weight - that's not much choice at all. You get a far wider range with the Mag.

Yeah as I recall it was out of a sig 229. Because of how flat it shoots it’s easy to hit at long(er) distances. As long as you train in recoil managment of course.
50 feet is not long(er) distance [laugh]

Personally, (OP did ask for opinions), I'd never carry a revolver as a primary weapon. Semis have more capacity and are much faster to reload. Plus I shoot my Glocks quite a bit, so I'm very comfortable with their platform.
It depends. I like pocket revolvers far more than pocket pistols.

Back
Top Bottom