One less crazy lib in the NH House

"According to multiple sources, Hyland had intended to switch parties last week, too. After being subjected to some of the same bullyings from fellow House Democrats experienced by Read and Labranche, Hyland chose to leave the house entirely."

Most RCV proponents are all moonbats. Thats an automatic sign that its bad. Dems love that shit because RCV sets it up so that bernie bros and green party types can still boost their candidate in the late rounds.... they also know that other than the odd libertarian candidate, R voters cannot usually take advantage of RCV. Most alternative parties outside of LP are some brand of commie.

*ahem*... I'm a co-sponsor of HB1264, which will establish RCV in state primaries and municipal elections.

I realize that not all RCV implementation is equal, and both Maine and California could screw up a wet dream. Maine's political schizophrenia makes Louisiana politics boring by comparison.

NH voters are already familiar with the basics. Every time they vote for a multi-member position, they're instructed, "Vote for not more than N", and they manage. They even understand bullet voting, and that a vote for more than your top one or two can work against your chosen candidate. All that RCV adds is ranking your choices; there's no obligation to vote for anyone except the one you want.

Jeff Knox explained it well.

Most systems, at their core, don't start off as bad ideas. I think we could both agree that once politicians, of any breed, get their hands on them, things stray pretty quickly.

You likely already know this, so feel free to glaze over it.

RCV:
You're hungry, you want to eat.
You want McDonalds.
They're closed, so you figure Burger King is next.
Turns out all the shops are closed because of some new Covid mandate.
It's your last choice, but you still have food at home you could make.
The fact that you're hungry still gets addressed.

Your vote, of one, had immediate run offs until you were left with something that was still a choice. Even if it was far from your first choice. Same analogy that article that was against RCV made.

Single choice:
You're hungry, and want to eat.
You want McDonalds.
They're closed, so you don't eat, because you get no other choices. You had one vote, it failed.

Or, hell, if you have kids, and take them to an ice cream shop:

"I want chocolate."
"They're out."
"Okay, then blastberry."
"That's not a real thing."
"Fine, vanilla."

Versus
"I want chocolate."
"They're out. No ice cream for you. I know, they got lots of other choices, but your vote doesn't matter now."

When I buy bullets, if they don't have my first choice, I buy my second choice. I don't just decide I can't have bullets.

Like I said, we use this all the time in our day to day lives.

I want Tom, Bob, Jim, or Fred to take the crazy Lib's spot. No? Okay, at least I got Sam, even though he's an idiot, at least he's a Republican.

Eh, whatever. If it doesn't happen, or gets all screwed up, or no one likes it, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Maybe I just like the idea that my vote would matter beyond just guy #1, if the votes for guy #1 and #2 ended up being enough for one of them to win. At least I got the second guy, no?
You have demonstrated, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you have no clue how RCV has actually been implemented. What you describe in your post sounds reasonable. I assure you that RCV in practice bears zero resemblance to your examples.

From reading some of your other posts I gather that you do possess the ability to reason. IMO, you have not thought RCV through.

Most systems, at their core, don't start off as bad ideas. I think we could both agree that once politicians, of any breed, get their hands on them, things stray pretty quickly.

RCV:
You want McDonalds.

Your vote, of one, had immediate run offs until you were left with something that was still a choice. Even if it was far from your first choice. Same analogy that article that was against RCV made.

Single choice:
You want McDonalds.
They're closed, so you don't eat, because you get no other choices. You had one vote, it failed.

"I want chocolate."
"They're out."
"Okay, then blastberry."
"Fine, vanilla."

Versus
"I want chocolate."
"They're out. No ice cream for you. I know, they got lots of other choices, but your vote doesn't matter now."

When I buy bullets, if they don't have my first choice, I buy my second choice. I don't just decide I can't have bullets.

I want Tom, Bob, Jim, or Fred to take the crazy Lib's spot. No? Okay, at least I got Sam, even though he's an idiot, at least he's a Republican.

Eh, whatever. If it doesn't happen, or gets all screwed up, or no one likes it, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Maybe I just like the idea that my vote would matter beyond just guy #1, if the votes for guy #1 and #2 ended up being enough for one of them to win. At least I got the second guy, no?
That isn't how ranked choice voting works. There was a thread on here a while back about it with a video that explained it well. It's terrible all around.

.... Changing the age for senators....don't care...
Think about this a little. One of the biggest hurdles for any office in NH is the time commitment. There are a lot of people like me who want to run for office but can't because of the time commitment, I can't take the time off work. This is why you see a lot of retirees and business owners, they can make the time. Now change the age to 25. This mean students, lots of time, no real world experience yet, and a large number who are only in NH for school, but they are residents. I don't know about you but having any NH gov body dominated by college students scares me. The senate would only be the start.

Think about this a little. One of the biggest hurdles for any office in NH is the time commitment. There are a lot of people like me who want to run for office but can't because of the time commitment, I can't take the time off work. This is why you see a lot of retirees and business owners, they can make the time. Now change the age to 25. This mean students, lots of time, no real world experience yet, and a large number who are only in NH for school, but they are residents. I don't know about you but having any NH gov body dominated by college students scares me. The senate would only be the start.
I agree about retired or business owners being the only ones able to manage the time commitment, even for selectmen in a town. As for age 25, almost no students (undergrad) are that old and any student still in college (grad school maybe) is likely too busy taking classes and doing homework. If they own a business at 25, likely they are very busy building that business up and making a living comes before volunteer service.

RCV:
You want McDonalds.

Single choice:
You want McDonalds.

"I want chocolate."
"They're out."
"Okay, then blastberry."
"Fine, vanilla."

Versus
"I want chocolate."

wow, not at all how it works. let's look at the McDonald's burger King thing. instead of being by yourself you have two kids with you kid 1 wants McDonald's 1st, BK 2nd and 3rd eat chicken nuggies at home. Kid 2 wants Wendy's 1st, Taco Bell 2nd and BK 3rd. You want a 32oz Round Robin steak 1st, Mom and Pop restaurant 2nd and burgers and dogs on the grill at home 3rd. with ranked choice you are getting a whopper and letting children decide what to eat.

Did you guys notice the NH pol supporting RCV? Our side always supports the very things that are defeating it... [rofl]

NH voters are already familiar with the basics. Every time they vote for a multi-member position, they're instructed, "Vote for not more than N", and they manage. They even understand bullet voting, and that a vote for more than your top one or two can work against your chosen candidate. All that RCV adds is ranking your choices; there's no obligation to vote for anyone except the one you want.

Everyone is used to the multiple options for positions. The ranking is where it gets silly as I don't want to go into details about whether Bob is better than Fred who is definitely better than Kyle. I just want to vote for Bob and Fred and get on with life.

As far as being no obligation, both the current bills with the details of NH's proposed RCV scheme disagree a bit.

(o) "Skipped ranking" means a circumstance in which a voter has left a ranking blank and ranks a candidate at a subsequent ranking.

There are some people I refuse to vote for. Under the proposed bills, me refusing to vote for someone still uses my ballot to apply a ranking. Contrast that with the current system where me refusing to vote for someone simply does not use my ballot for anything regarding that candidate.

Absolutely zero, yep.

Not surprised if it's getting screwed up, though, given how basically no one I've even dared mention it to has any concept of how it works. And, I'm not making the argument that it's been implemented properly either.

Doesn't mean RCV itself is bad. But if you implement something poorly, and people don't like change so they don't care to learn about it...of course it's going to go bad. True for anything.
So in other words the people are too stupid to understand how to vote?

wow, not at all how it works. let's look at the McDonald's burger King thing. instead of being by yourself you have two kids with you kid 1 wants McDonald's 1st, BK 2nd and 3rd eat chicken nuggies at home. Kid 2 wants Wendy's 1st, Taco Bell 2nd and BK 3rd. You want a 32oz Round Robin steak 1st, Mom and Pop restaurant 2nd and burgers and dogs on the grill at home 3rd. with ranked choice you are getting a whopper and letting children decide what to eat.
You proved the opposite of what you sought to prove.

"letting children decide what to eat." The fact that they are children is irrelevant the moment their votes were considered as valid. If the fact that children are involved in the decision process is a problem, exclude them in the first place.

In your scenario, 2/3rds of the voters won, with a candidate on their list. RCV worked, with a winner with a majority vote. There will always be a minority. Losing sucks. It doesn't mean the process went wrong in this scenario.

Versus, if only your vote matters, then 2/3rds of the parties that were present had votes that did not matter. You've taken out democracy and replaced it with dictatorship, lol.

"letting children decide what to eat." The fact that they are children is irrelevant the moment their votes were considered as valid. If the fact that children are involved in the decision process is a problem, exclude them in the first place.

In your scenario, 2/3rds of the voters won, with a candidate on their list. RCV worked, with a winner with a majority vote. There will always be a minority. Losing sucks. It doesn't mean the process went wrong in this scenario.

Versus, if only your vote matters, then 2/3rds of the parties that were present had votes that did not matter. You've taken out democracy and replaced it with dictatorship, lol.
They won't let me exclude communist and idiots from voting unfortunately.

They won't let me exclude communist and idiots from voting unfortunately.
Your children are communists and idiots?

I'm not disagreeing that when you vote, there are going to be other voters with different views than your own, some extreme. But if they have the legal option to vote, and do so, they're part of the process.

Like I said, if you didn't want the kids to vote simply because they are kids...don't give them ability. Run it as a dictatorship. Count them as invalid, simply because of their age, even though their need to eat is equal to your own.

Let's throw another hurdle in: What if your wife was present, too, and also wanted BK? Would that mean you have two valid votes that oppose each other, and two votes that would create a majority, but you simply choose to ignore them because of age difference?

Last edited:
Your children are communists and idiots?

I'm not disagreeing that when you vote, there are going to be other voters with different views than your own, some extreme. But if they have the legal option to vote, and do so, they're part of the process.

Like I said, if you didn't want the kids to vote simply because they are kids...don't give them ability. Run it as a dictatorship. Count them as invalid, simply because of their age, even though their need to eat is equal to your own.
in this case the children represent people that vote based on emotion i.e. democrats

in this case the children represent people that vote based on emotion i.e. democrats
Doesn't matter whether they use emotion or logic. If you grant someone the ability to vote, they can use whatever determination they want to place that vote.

If they wanted to flip a coin, that's their prerogative. Unless you want folks to get screened at the voting process "Hello, sir/madam/vegetable. We need to verify that you voted using only logic and research." Which would rule out vast numbers of voters in every party.

Using your food example, I don't always pick a restaurant based on logic and reason. Sometimes I just want a Big Mac. Pure emotion. Is your 32 oz steak not the same? Something healthier would be far more reasonable. But you voted for what you want.

Last edited:
definitely looks not guilty

_Stephanie-Hyland_.PNG
Wasn't she the one of the democrats that supported kids 12 and older could get the vaccine and abortions without parental consent?

I'm getting older and my standards would definitely be lower but HER?
1643197976814.png

Doesn't matter whether they use emotion or logic. If you grant someone the ability to vote, they can use whatever determination they want to place that vote.

If they wanted to flip a coin, that's their prerogative. Unless you want folks to get screened at the voting process "Hello, sir/madam/vegetable. We need to verify that you voted using only logic and research." Which would rule out vast numbers of voters in every party.

Using your food example, I don't always pick a restaurant based on logic and reason. Sometimes I just want a Big Mac. Pure emotion. Is your 32 oz steak not the same? Something healthier would be far more reasonable. But you voted for what you want.
Dude, I wasn't the one that started using dumb food analogy to poorly explain ranked choice voting. I'm done with the idiocy

You know what you sound like when you try to justify your point (whatever the hell it really is)?

If the leftist Dems want ranked choice voting, consider it radioactive and fight like hell against it.

Everything they do is done so to centralize power to lord over us.
Hating just because someone else likes it is no less of a blind following than supporting something just because you are told to. They are both examples of NOT thinking for yourself. Like it or hate it, think for yourself, do your own research, reach your own conclusion.

Personally I haven't decided yet. Sure it can be used to manipulate the elections, but either side could do that so it's not a Dem Rep issue. it would also allow someone to vote for a Libertarian, thus allowing the number to show they have support, but still allow a defensive vote to keep a truly dangerous candidate out of office. So positives and negatives both ways. I suspect it will go nowhere so it ultimately doesn't matter.

Hating just because someone else likes it is no less of a blind following than supporting something just because you are told to. They are both examples of NOT thinking for yourself. Like it or hate it, think for yourself, do your own research, reach your own conclusion.

Personally I haven't decided yet. Sure it can be used to manipulate the elections, but either side could do that so it's not a Dem Rep issue. it would also allow someone to vote for a Libertarian, thus allowing the number to show they have support, but still allow a defensive vote to keep a truly dangerous candidate out of office. So positives and negatives both ways. I suspect it will go nowhere so it ultimately doesn't matter.
So you think my hatred has blinded me? Well I can see as far as I can spit.

Holy cow-f*** that.

The example they used showed a clear majority, so why go into the funny math.

Furthermore, if that is a pro ranked choice voting video, they used an argument of the anti ranked choice voting at 1:11. Many anti RCV folks tout the one person one vote, which the pro talking points try to refute-this vid clearly says "however, with RCV, it's not one person one vote".

Still against RCV for multiple reasons.

If anything, the age should be raised to 40 because people seem to be maturing later and don’t exhibit common sense or logical thinking until later than they used to.

Help clarify something about this video.
How many general elections are there where there are more than 2 people running and they eliminate the lowest and then run a run-off election. This seems to be the premise of the video. But wouldn't it be more likely that there would be say 3 (or it could be more), a Dem, a Rep, and a Lib (that's Libertarian). In which case, with the current system, the one with the most votes wins.
But with RCV, the winner needs a clear majority. So the lowest is dropped (probably the Lib) and his/her supporters second vote is counted. If the Dem and Rep are close, this would likely result in a Rep win since Libs are more likely to have the Rep as a second, than have a Dem as a second.

So my point is that it doesn't inherently help either side, I don't think it inherently hurts either side either. Both sides are capable of manipulating the situation to their own advantage, which is nothing new. Claims that the Dems could flood the ballot are certainly true, but so could the Reps. So it doesn't inherently benefit either.

What I do think is that it won't go anywhere anyway. And both sides are going to just throw shit out there to confuse everyone, and it will all be for nothing. Except wasted time.

Back
Top Bottom