• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OMHTF when You're at Work

Ugh. I'm sure my bosses would convince me to stay here and work, cause that's what they do.

Admittedly in a SHTF scenario there would be a legit need for me to be here and do things, but I would just as soon go home and barricade myself in my place. I guess it's the other side of the career I've chosen and the place i've chosen to work.

There's no time like go time. lol

Go time?
Oh it's go time
he knows it's go time
there's no time like go time

What time is it? you guessed it

::picks up phone::
Hello? Who's this? 867 5309? No you got the wrong number, it's shtf sucka dial 911 maaaceee

I would strap a shotgun to my back, walk down to mayflower and set sail until the madness is over, putting in at Cabby Shack for a pizza or some angry mussels once in a while, maybe grab a lobster or two.

Yeah, you have to beat me there, I'm 3 blocks away...

Have plenty of 12ga ammo handy.

Like Graham, I am fortunate to work in a gun free zone, where the S never HTF. So I'd keep reading NES and answering the phone.

Seriously, I work a few miles north of where I live and I have more than a few ways home, the wife has a few options also, so because of our close proximity to home getting back shouldn't be an issue.

Then it's time to grab all our gear and meet up with some friends and family and sit tight with supplies till things calm down.

First let me say I am not some nut who thinks the world is going to end. I am just prepaired for things that are real world threats.
I currently have a Get Home Bag/Bug Out Bag. I am grabbing another bag tomorrow and will supply it with the exact same things my bag has, give my wife the old bag and keep the new one.

I have a Maxpedition Sitka bag filled with what I think I need to get home, I am going to use a Hazard 4 Rocket bag for myself. I also carry a folder in my EDC so I will always have 2 knifes on me, along with a Surefire P6.

I work in Lynn, wife Works in Wakefield, we live in Kenmore/Fenway area of Boston. We both know where to go to meet up if we are each at work. Knowledge is more important than any gear you can carry.

It's a long list so I'll separate it into categories.

Cash:
$100 in ones

Fire Kit:
Firestarter
Bic Lighter
Tinder (Cotton balls rubbed with Vasoline makes great fire starting material)
Signal Mirror

Lighting:
2 Flashlights G2 LED (Surefire Carrier with extra batteries and extra lamp)
4 Glow sticks
3 Mini LED Keychain lights from County Comm attached the Molle webbing on bag

Tools:
Spyderco Native
Mechanics Screwdriver

Tying:
50 feet of black 550 cord
20 feet of fishing line
Small sewing Kit
3 feet of folded Duct Tape

Food:
Couple granola bars
2 Pouches Mountain House Chili Mac
6 Sugar packets
Empty Nalgene Bottle (to save room you can fit the sugar, granola bars into the bottle)
P51 Can opener

Medical:
Small First Aid Kit
CPR Mask
Tylenol

Clothing:
Shemagh
Handkerchief
Ball Cap
Watch Cap

Then I switch out a extra T shirt or fleece depending on season and a map of Mass.

I also have written down all my important numbers and addresses in case a EMP goes off or I loose my phone.

I know this sounds like alot, but "if your not always prepared your never prepared" (Equip2Endure guy).

If anyone every wants to talk about prepping or some good links let me know.

Last edited:
Damn man, that's a great list. I'm going to borrow it for restocking.

I'd suggest a decent first aid kit, water filter, and sewing materials as well.

Thanks Dave. The sugar is important if you run into a diabetic and Tylenol for anyone who may be having a heart attack or a headache. Hell, sometimes I have to resupply myself, take note, love my wife but cant they all nag you to death?

Yeah, you have to beat me there, I'm 3 blocks away...

Have plenty of 12ga ammo handy.

You and I might well live next to each other, some night I'll stick my head out the window and see if you can see me. I can walk there in about 5 minutes. I'm just up the hill on the beach side of town.

Tell you what, I'll split it with you, I think as we do not have any pilgrims, it may be more than a 1 man job to sail that thing. :)

Now I'm bringing the rifle and the shotgun.... ;)

I am one of the luck ones who live really close to their place of business. It's about 2 miles from home and I could get there without touching any pavement if needed.

I would preferably drive home, gear up and stand guard with the dogs. Once reinforcements arrive, we'll figure out what the best plan of action is.

Nope, just someone who thinks ahead. Also, I keep a pair of socks on me as well. God knows a dry pair or socks feels like heaven. Wife has a food vac to seal food we buy at BJ's so I used it to seem the socks then the shemagh to keep em dry.

Thanks Dave. The sugar is important if you run into a diabetic and Tylenol for anyone who may be having a heart attack or a headache. Hell, sometimes I have to resupply myself, take note, love my wife but cant they all nag you to death?

Hell, that sugar is important period. There's a reason it's a staple. Tylenol and Aleve are must haves, aside from heart issues, they keep inflammation to a minimum.

Heh, going to be converting my fiancee to wife soon enough, I hope she doesn't start nagging, I may have to start playing deaf.

You and I might well live next to each other, some night I'll stick my head out the window and see if you can see me. I can walk there in about 5 minutes. I'm just up the hill on the beach side of town.

Tell you what, I'll split it with you, I think as we do not have any pilgrims, it may be more than a 1 man job to sail that thing. :)

Now I'm bringing the rifle and the shotgun.... ;)

Deal, though I almost think Plimoth Plantation would be better than the May Flower, just because those that work there will bug out and leave a large plot of fertile land handy that will be forgotten by most.

First let me say I am not some nut who thinks the world is going to end. I am just prepaired for things that are real world threats.
I currently have a Get Home Bag/Bug Out Bag. I am grabbing another bag tomorrow and will supply it with the exact same things my bag has, give my wife the old bag and keep the new one.

I have a Maxpedition Sitka bag filled with what I think I need to get home, I am going to use a Hazard 4 Rocket bag for myself. I also carry a folder in my EDC so I will always have 2 knifes on me, along with a Surefire P6.

I work in Lynn, wife Works in Wakefield, we live in Kenmore/Fenway area of Boston. We both know where to go to meet up if we are each at work. Knowledge is more important than any gear you can carry.

It's a long list so I'll separate it into categories.

Cash:
$100 in ones

Fire Kit:
Firestarter
Bic Lighter
Tinder (Cotton balls rubbed with Vasoline makes great fire starting material)
Signal Mirror

Lighting:
2 Flashlights G2 LED (Surefire Carrier with extra batteries and extra lamp)
4 Glow sticks
3 Mini LED Keychain lights from County Comm attached the Molle webbing on bag

Tools:
Spyderco Native
Mechanics Screwdriver

Tying:
50 feet of black 550 cord
20 feet of fishing line
Small sewing Kit
3 feet of folded Duct Tape

Food:
Couple granola bars
2 Pouches Mountain House Chili Mac
6 Sugar packets
Empty Nalgene Bottle (to save room you can fit the sugar, granola bars into the bottle)
P51 Can opener

Medical:
Small First Aid Kit
CPR Mask
Tylenol

Clothing:
Shemagh
Handkerchief
Ball Cap
Watch Cap

Then I switch out a extra T shirt or fleece depending on season and a map of Mass.

I also have written down all my important numbers and addresses in case a EMP goes off or I loose my phone.

I know this sounds like alot, but "if your not always prepared your never prepared" (Equip2Endure guy).

If anyone every wants to talk about prepping or some good links let me know.

This is a serious question. What event could possibly happen unexpectedly that would require this kit? The economic downfall of the US is probably going to happen over, oh, I don't know...maybe the course of a few days. And maybe if we were on the verge of fires and widespread rioting, maybe you'd skip work that day.

I'm serious. Help me understand what you (and obviously davemata) are preparing for (against)?

Nothing...I'll keep working unless the power goes out or a Nuke went of on top of my building.

Then I'll end up going home.

Wifes nagging inst too bad, just stuff I forget to do at times and she gently reminds me. Been married since May and love it. Let me know when the date is I'll send you a lil care package.

She likes to tease me about my prepping, always carry a flash light etc. Last year her father fell ill on Thanksgiving, (he turned out ok). I didn't have my light on me and the ambulance went the wrong way past the street we were at. If I had my light i would of been able to signal them down. So I told her I no longer go anywhere with out my EDC.

Gjones what a great idea. They will also have basic tools, live stock, etc. Who wants fresh eggs and ham steak for breakfast?

Gjones what a great idea. They will also have basic tools, live stock, etc. Who wants fresh eggs and ham steak for breakfast?

They also have a fort style area that can be used to fend off attackers.

I took stock of the area last year when we took my niece and nephew, it's really a good spot to hide out when things area collapsing.

Back
Top Bottom