• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OMHTF when You're at Work

SHTF? Depends on the scenario, but I'd be stuck at work with a g21 and a single 13rd mag till I could haul my ass home. Makes me think about the range problems with the .45ACP round, then again it probably won't improve much outside a magnum which I'm not willing to carry. :)

Being stuck in a snow storm on the side of the road
Being stuck at work in a storm, power outage
Breaking down on the way to work
Tying something down while at Home Depot and not having tie down rope
Natural Disaster, Hurricane Katrina, Blizzard of 78.

I am not sure what sparked your interest in the list I provided. I don't see anything there that screams out at me.

Basic extra clothing, lights, a little food, small first aid kit. Nothing more then what the Federal Government suggest I have. http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

Here's a map of the village, right near fresh water, and it's pretty much a one way in one way out area.

plantationmap.jpg

Here's the google map
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...1154,-70.624307&spn=0.002047,0.00478&t=h&z=18

This is a serious question. What event could possibly happen unexpectedly that would require this kit? The economic downfall of the US is probably going to happen over, oh, I don't know...maybe the course of a few days. And maybe if we were on the verge of fires and widespread rioting, maybe you'd skip work that day.

I'm serious. Help me understand what you (and obviously davemata) are preparing for (against)?

The only thing more humorous than some of the things people pack in their bug out bags, is the people that don't have one...

SHTF can take many forms and GrayShadows kit should pretty much be a standard for anyone who leaves their home. I have had an emergency kit in every car I have driven for nearly 30-years. When I got my first car at 16, my mother of all people gave me a gym bag with extra clothes, a first aid kit, road flares and jumper cables. It's just smart thinking....

Being stuck in a snow storm on the side of the road
Being stuck at work in a storm, power outage
Breaking down on the way to work
Tying something down while at Home Depot and not having tie down rope
Natural Disaster, Hurricane Katrina, Blizzard of 78.

I am not sure what sparked your interest in the list I provided. I don't see anything there that screams out at me.

Basic extra clothing, lights, a little food, small first aid kit. Nothing more then what the Federal Government suggest I have. http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

I have a similar bag packed in my car (backpack). Not as much good stuff as you have, but you have given me some good ideas to improve on.

I started putting this bag together after the horrendus traffic during that December blizzard 3 years ago.

there are really 2 main SHTF scenarios you need to worry about as each one is completely different they way you would pack for and act during said SHTF scenario

1: hurricane, blizzard, other natural disaster, terrorist attack

in this kind of scenario laws and government are still in place and this is a temporary situation

2: zombie apocolypse, alien invasion, nuclear attack, red dawn

this is a TRUE SHTF scenario... governments collapsed, were at war. electricity, gas, supply lines to your local wallmart and grocery store are cut and not coming back anytime soon... do what you need to do to survive

there are really 2 main SHTF scenarios you need to worry about as each one is completely different they way you would pack for and act during said SHTF scenario

in this kind of scenario laws and government are still in place and this is a temporary situation

this is a TRUE SHTF scenario... governments collapsed, were at war. electricity, gas, supply lines to your local wallmart and grocery store are cut and not coming back anytime soon... do what you need to do to survive

Alien invasion....this is something we haven't talked about.

See guys, we covered zombies and communists....but aliens, we need to discuss this.

Call Hannibal, Murdock, Baracas and Tempelton. Because you know...Today, they are still wanted by the government. And because they survive as soldiers of fortune....if you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....I'm gonna hire - The A-Team.

Yes, hands down this reply wins

So official NES Bug Out location should be Plymouth Rock? LOL.

I know prepping sounds silly. And I hope I never have to use my bag, but just like a gun you'd rather have it and never need it then need it and not have it.

I want to add some quick clot in the kit and in my car and wifes car as well. In case we ever get into or witness a car accident. a $20 Quick Clot may save someone someday. Also, once I get my FID and start going to the range I plan on keeping 2 in my range bag.

I guess I was the kid who got excited when he went school supply shopping.

The only thing more humorous than some of the things people pack in their bug out bags, is the people that don't have one...

SHTF can take many forms and GrayShadows kit should pretty much be a standard for anyone who leaves their home. I have had an emergency kit in every car I have driven for nearly 30-years. When I got my first car at 16, my mother of all people gave me a gym bag with extra clothes, a first aid kit, road flares and jumper cables. It's just smart thinking....

I guess we have different opinions of prepared. I have a few basics in all the cars, and so far in 52 years I've never been caught short, and that includes growing up in MN, going to school in CO, living in the high desert of CA, and most recently NH. There's no way I see--nor have I run across--the need for 50 feet of black 550 cord, 20 feet of fishing line, Small sewing Kit, etc. You can play this game endlessly; "Yeah, man, but what if you were stuck and really needed quick-don SCUBA gear? Where would you be then?" What about an AFD? Solar stove? At some point, you're buying a larger car to haul your "kit."

The OP question was "SHTF when you're at work." Hurricane Katrina and the Blizzard of 78 (cited above) gave adequate warning of their approach. Maybe, and I'm going out on a limb here, but just maybe if Hurricane Katrina was approaching, it might be a good day to call in sick. Natural disaster? I'm sorry, which one would create a SHTF scenario? The Ice Storm of '08? Technically I don't think the S has really HTF if you can drive 45 minutes and get generators/gas/water/food/see a movie. I don't recall social order breaking down during the Blizzard of 78, or the flooding in '06, and everyone escaping and evading to the White Mountains.

I'm not against preparation. My point is I'm terribly confused by someone who thinks they're going to drive to work through some Escape from New York post-apocalyptic landscape, or blithely past the sirens announcing the arrival of Katrina II, and packs accordingly so they can "bug out" from work when the S really HTF. I am willing to admit this is my shortcoming.

Last edited:

I know prepping sounds silly. And I hope I never have to use my bag, but just like a gun you'd rather have it and never need it then need it and not have it.

I want to add some quick clot in the kit and in my car and wifes car as well. In case we ever get into or witness a car accident. a $20 Quick Clot may save someone someday. Also, once I get my FID and start going to the range I plan on keeping 2 in my range bag.

Watch out for QuickClot...It should be used if the person is literally beyond immediate medical help. It needs to basically be surgically removed. I have a QC sponge in my trauma kit, but also have Celox, which seems to be a better option, as it does not heat up and needs no special medical attention to remove. My rule of thumb: If someone is in need of QuickClot, they are beyond my capability to help them. However, if that's all there is between the victim and imminent death, then buckle up...

And prepping sounds silly only to those who think there's nothing to prep for...Jokes on them.... [wink]

Watch out for QuickClot...It should be used if the person is literally beyond immediate medical help. It needs to basically be surgically removed. I have a QC sponge in my trauma kit, but also have Celox, which seems to be a better option, as it does not heat up and needs no special medical attention to remove. My rule of thumb: If someone is in need of QuickClot, they are beyond my capability to help them. However, if that's all there is between the victim and imminent death, then buckle up...

And prepping sounds silly only to those who think there's nothing to prep for...Jokes on them.... [wink]

true statement about quickclot, carry some unscented tampons they are excellent for gunshot wounds... as long as its not a sucking chest wound

I doubt I would ever be in the position, but Ok. So I am driving in Peabody and some stupid kid got the idea to walk on Browns Pond, falls in, I see his arms wailing and take my 50 feet of 550 cord and attach my snow shovel to him, he grabs it and I pull him out of the ice.

Tying some plywood to the back of a pick up truck.
Practicing knots
Extra shoelaces/bootlaces
The cord feel out of your nice hoodie

Sewing kit is used mostly if a button falls off while I am at work. I like to look presentable.

Back in the Blizzard of 2003 I was stuck at work for 2 days. Only the vending machine feed me. Hence why I carry the $100 bills. No food could get delivered and all of my co workers were snowed in. We knew at one point I couldn't leave and they couldn't get to work. I was forced to work as no one could make it. I worked the night shift and was glad I had a few things that made it a bit more comfortable for the 2 days I was there. I was in Everett, 1/2 mile from the Target there. They were closed if I remember correctly.

dude...

I doubt I would ever be in the position, but Ok. So I am driving in Peabody and some stupid kid got the idea to walk on Browns Pond, falls in, I see his arms wailing and take my 50 feet of 550 cord and attach my snow shovel to him, he grabs it and I pull him out of the ice.

Tying some plywood to the back of a pick up truck.
Practicing knots
Extra shoelaces/bootlaces
The cord feel out of your nice hoodie

Sewing kit is used mostly if a button falls off while I am at work. I like to look presentable.

Back in the Blizzard of 2003 I was stuck at work for 2 days. Only the vending machine feed me. Hence why I carry the $100 bills. No food could get delivered and all of my co workers were snowed in. We knew at one point I couldn't leave and they couldn't get to work. I was forced to work as no one could make it. I worked the night shift and was glad I had a few things that made it a bit more comfortable for the 2 days I was there. I was in Everett, 1/2 mile from the Target there. They were closed if I remember correctly.

Could you please let me die if you ever see me injured?

Please?

thats a true statement, during the 2005 blizzard when we got 3ft of snow i was snowed in at my fire station for 72hrs but luckily i had enough mac and cheese and other food stuffs to feed half the station lol

I didn't realize that about quick clot. It seems I did not do my homework on that. Shame on me. Timber no need to be afraid, lesson learned.

Timber and GreyShadows in a car accident...Timber gets cut on his eye. last thing he sees is GrayShadows coming at him with QuickClot sponge...'Nooooooooo! [rofl2]

No worries GS - most of us can learn a thing or two here...[cheers]

I can understand. I seem a bit overzealous. I read my post and looked at it from a different view point. Know that I know QC is better left for extreme situations, it wont go into my BoB or vehicles. Trust me, first thing I am doing is calling 911. Nothing else is more important then getting professional help to arrive.

You've been hanging around your Dad too much ! LOL

Back
Top Bottom