Old Cell Phones for Marines?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm requesting that one of our Military folks check this out and report back some details, contact info, etc.

---------------------

While sitting at a traffic light in Dedham on US-1 yesterday, I spotted a very busy sign (looked hand written on 2x3' cloth). Something about donating old cell phones for the US Marines to convert to something (I'm guessing calling cards, but couldn't read all of it as I was probably 150-200' away).

Any details please?

P.S. I think some youngster from Norwell or was it Medway area <?> did something that was in the news 1-2 years ago. Not sure if this was it or not. Didn't spot any contact info on the sign either. Sign was outside an office building across from Bugaboo Creek and I don't drive down that way too often.

Here's their web site:
http://www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/

It was started by a brother & sister from Norwell in 2004.

They accept any cell phone, PDA, Blackberry, and empty name brand inkjet cartdridges also.

I took a quick look around my office and found three old cell phones. I'm printing out a free shipping lable from their website now. They'll be in the mail Monday.

How many old cell phones do you have sitting around ?

Thanks LenS !

I don't have the time today but here is a phone number....To call Cell Phones for Soldiers dial 781-659-7789.

If someone wants to check them out.

Never throw away any old cell phones. Even if this outfit can't use them (or after it's no longer around), they're always useful. Whether or not a cell phone has a service provider, it can still call 911. As a result, any women's shelter is happy to get them for use by women at risk from abusive partners or others.

Ken

KMaurer said:
Never throw away any old cell phones. Even if this outfit can't use them (or after it's no longer around), they're always useful. Whether or not a cell phone has a service provider, it can still call 911. As a result, any women's shelter is happy to get them for use by women at risk from abusive partners or others.

Ken

"Dial 911 and Die!"

My problem with the women's shelters is that (at least all that I know about) do NOT teach or believe in self-defense. They are of the "blow the whistle and dial 911" mentality. They also typically believe that civilians should have no access to guns! IMNSHO, abused women should be taught to fight back, defend themselves and then call 911 to have the cops pick up the remains of the perp and file the reports.

rscalzo said:
Now I can get rid of the cell phone I've had for a year.........

same here...though i'v had 1-2 for about 8yrs now [shocked]

mr twigg,thanks for posting the link.i can drop them off tomorrow thanks to a local drop off here in town.

The shelters back in my area of NJ just provided "shelter for the spouse and if needed, their children. They also assisted with a more perminent soultion to housing. They never even got into anything beyond that as they were usually way too crowded.

LenS said:
"Dial 911 and Die!"

My problem with the women's shelters is that (at least all that I know about) do NOT teach or believe in self-defense. They are of the "blow the whistle and dial 911" mentality. They also typically believe that civilians should have no access to guns! IMNSHO, abused women should be taught to fight back, defend themselves and then call 911 to have the cops pick up the remains of the perp and file the reports.

See my post on that here:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=127774&postcount=9

Many of those fundraising letters come from an outside source that splits the take with the organization. All they want are the bucks. They aren't going to take it on a condition.....

rscalzo said:
Many of those fundraising letters come from an outside source that splits the take with the organization. All they want are the bucks. They aren't going to take it on a condition.....

Maybe not, but a donation of something like "Training Coupons" or "5 classes" to the organization probably won't get tossed away either. Even more so if you send them a letter and ask them to apply for the "5 free classes" and note that others are also trying to get them.

Maybe NES or GOAL could sponsor something like that. Just brainstorming here.

Edit 7/27/07:
I just started a new thread on this subject:
"empowering women"?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom