• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Thanks for serving"

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
I was with my daughter at the butcher shop yesterday, and as we were leaving this guy came up to me and said, "Thanks for your Service, when did you serve?"
I thought for a moment, smiled and told him,
"I joined in 1966 when I was 18, and it was the smartest thing I ever did in my life. I got out 7 years later, and that was the second smartest thing I ever did in my life!"
He laughed, and so did I.
[rofl] [rofl]

I was with my daughter at the butcher shop yesterday, and as we were leaving this guy came up to me and said, "Thanks for your Service, when did you serve?"
"I joined in 1966 when I was 18, and it was the smartest thing I ever did in my life. I got out 7 years later, and that was the second smartest thing I ever did in my life!"
[rofl] [rofl]
Glad to see you posting Skysoldier.

[rofl] [rofl]
How did you do a whole 7 years without brigg time? Lol

How did you do a whole 7 years without brigg time? Lol
The only time I spent in a brig was back in 69 when some buddies and I got in a fight at Logan with some drunken, loud Jarheads!
It was only a few hours until the Army MP's picked us up and took us back to Ft Devan's and dropped us of at our barracks.
Now, if you are talking Stockade time, I also spent a month in Fort Riley for hitting a stupid, pussy ROTC Lieutenant once......right in front of the whole platoon!

Well shit. You're lucky you only got a month for that one.
Thought I was going to the brigg once. It was ITR, Infantry Training Regiment after boot camp. To speed things up they were putting us in the grenade pit 2 at a time. First time with grenades. You know the routine. Pull pin, ready to throw, let the spoon fly, then throw. I threw mine. The fool beside me did everything but throw his. Had to take it and throw it for him. Then I proceeded to beat him pretty badly. Mostly because I was so scared I think. Then I realized what I had done. He was out like a light and pretty bloody. With officers observing I was certain I would do bring time. When I looked up at the officers in the observation area. All three had their backs to me. Wasn't sure what to think of that but I was sure it couldn't be a good thing. On graduation day, the guy I whooped was still in the hospital. I got promoted to PFC. Go figure.

Last edited:
I had a whole platoon that explained to the CO exactly why I hit the bastard, so he only gave me an Article 15.
When I got back after 30 days I was the company hero, and the LT was gone! (And the CO and I were the only Infantry Combat Vets in the company.)

Back
Top Bottom