• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, this is not OK. New forum freaks me out.

Looks much better. Clean look, squared away and definitely easier on the eyes. Thank you I can imagine this is a boatload of work to first migrate and then tweak so quickly. Well done.

One problem that is immediately apparent, if I reply to someones post and I want to ditch that effort, there's no button to click that would clear the buffer... and on every page flop or if I reply to someone elses post instead, it'll retain the old quote and you have to wipe it out
manually. On the old board you could just ditch that reply and abandon the whole thing. Obvious fix from user end is obvious... don't press that button, unless you really MEAN IT.... lol. It'll take some getting used to. I'll have to burn my...

-Mike

Now that the colors are more bearable (thanks!), I can worry about lesser things. Just a few I noticed although not sure which are possible to fix:

The thread list used to show an indicator that I had posted in it before; I miss that.

When I reply to a thread, it puts me at the end of the thread rather than where I left off reading in it

After fully reading a thread and pressing the Back button to return to the thread list, it doesn't automatically update the thread I was reading to indicate it was read.

Totally agree with these points!

Also is there a way on iOS to view posts so that the person posting is to the left of the post not above each post?

Looks much better. Clean look, squared away and definitely easier on the eyes. Thank you I can imagine this is a boatload of work to first migrate and then tweak so quickly. Well done.

Much, much easier to read now. The posts are easy to distinguish from each other. Nice job.

Is anyone's trader history showing yet? The look is getting better but I've still got to figure this out.

THIS! I miss being able to scan the classifieds by the thumbnail photo, rather than having to open every damn post to see what things look like.

Also, where is the reply/ countdown? You mean I have to count my fingers to figure out how many more days until I can bump? What nonsense is that?

Still wanting that pedestal sink??? o_O

There I was, out on the ledge contemplating my next move. Then I hear my wife say get back in here and look at this. She showed me how much the NES web site had been improved since the big change took place. Really like the changes that have been made. Your effort is appreciated.

Just curious, but have you given any thought to sandboxing the forum into different color schemes and putting a poll up to see which one is favored?

Everything takes a little getting used to. But by and large, the new version is a lot faster, and I think it is easier for a lot of things that used to be more complicated (like subscribing to a thread for instance). If you are wondering about the best way to see your own stuff (follows and likes etc.) Go to your Alerts page (upper right next to your user name) and most of the stuff is there (Likes, (used to be reputation). Any change can be difficult and frustrating, but everyone will get used to it, and if the forum is to keep going, sometimes it has to get updated to the latest technology or it will die. Anyone still dialing in to a BBS?

The only thing I am having a problem with is the dates on posts, it is tiny type, in a weird place and gray on gray and so small it is very difficult to read. A slightly larger font with more contrast would be a lot better - like black font on the medium gray background. In general I think higher contrast in areas where it is not good would be preferred

View attachment 212908

Seriously, I like the most recent changes.

Actually, that's not bad.

Sometimes, driving at night, I will dim my phones screen down to minimum, tape it to the steering wheel and browse NES or whatever in a black themed TT. Keeping the light level way down reduces the distraction from my driving and since it's nighttime, no sunlight to wash out the screen.

I notice since the new changes, I'm more argumentative. I don't know if it's because the scheme angers me subconsciously, I access it at work and work with idiots, or what. I don't think anyone else is changing, but I'm arguing more.

Also discovered we can swear in our posts - I'm trying to self edit.

Actually, that's not bad.

Sometimes, driving at night, I will dim my phones screen down to minimum, tape it to the steering wheel and browse NES or whatever in a black themed TT. Keeping the light level way down reduces the distraction from my driving and since it's nighttime, no sunlight to wash out the screen.
I am very surprised you are still with us, my friend! ;)

I am very surprised you are still with us, my friend! ;)
me too. saw a guy this morning running a movie while he was motoring along. had his phone in a holder that attached to the air vent. a little part of me wanted him to crash. damn, this new format makes me too brutally honest.

Everything takes a little getting used to. But by and large, the new version is a lot faster, and I think it is easier for a lot of things that used to be more complicated (like subscribing to a thread for instance). If you are wondering about the best way to see your own stuff (follows and likes etc.) Go to your Alerts page (upper right next to your user name) and most of the stuff is there (Likes, (used to be reputation). Any change can be difficult and frustrating, but everyone will get used to it, and if the forum is to keep going, sometimes it has to get updated to the latest technology or it will die. Anyone still dialing in to a BBS?

The only thing I am having a problem with is the dates on posts, it is tiny type, in a weird place and gray on gray and so small it is very difficult to read. A slightly larger font with more contrast would be a lot better - like black font on the medium gray background. In general I think higher contrast in areas where it is not good would be preferred

With the color scheme fixed and some of the other modifications, I'm actually at the point where I think I like the new forum better than the old one (at least on a computer). It definitely loads WAY faster than the old one did, and I like some of the new features like tagging people. I'm still missing a phone app, but this is looking good, thanks @sHORTY

Back
Top Bottom