Ok, I'm going to start hunting. Bow or semi-auto shotgun?

I would like to start bow hunting as well. I mostly do Turkey and Upland (grouse). I'm attending the Bow Hunting course tomorrow at Danvers Fish and Game.

My plans are coming together nicely [smile]

These guys aren't exactly prime specimens, I know. But at least it means there are deer where I thought there were. I've got a few other shots of bigger guys, too.

deer.jpg

When I first started hunting coming from a life of skeet shooting, all I had was a Remington 1100. I got into pheasant hunting which the 1100 was fine for. Then I tried deer hunting so I put on a scope mount for $25 and shot rifled slugs. Then I tried for ducks, again it worked fine for that. So then I bought a bow for deer, hunted with it on and off for a couple years and got a deer last year with it. I no longer have my 1100, I use a Beretta AL390 for duck, goose, and pheasant. I have a muzzleloader (CVA) for deer that I use in the shotgun season and my bow. After going through many shotguns to have what I have now, many on here are giving you solid advice about a Mossberg or Remington 870. They are inexpensive to get into with combo barrels to do everything. A bow is a great way to hunt and fun, so get one and practice. It opens up places that a gun wont work for, some towns have a no-discharge of firearm laws, but nothing against bows. So long story short, get a multi-function gun to start, a nice bow, and a good climber (Summit Viper) and be safe.

Last edited:
Well, I've been enjoying practice with the bow (and as a bonus, I've found it a great way to teach my four year old boy about 'hot' and 'cold' range rules!) But I wasn't satisfied with just the bow, and my buddy has been pushing me to go duck hunting with him this fall. So this little puppy should be ready for me to pick up at IDC Firearms on Wednesday or Thursday...

391-stand.jpg

[smile]

Well, I've been enjoying practice with the bow (and as a bonus, I've found it a great way to teach my four year old boy about 'hot' and 'cold' range rules!) But I wasn't satisfied with just the bow, and my buddy has been pushing me to go duck hunting with him this fall. So this little puppy should be ready for me to pick up at IDC Firearms on Wednesday or Thursday...

391-stand.jpg

[smile]

Oh nice, the Beretta 3901 I believe? You will like that gun, my AL390 has shot lots of ducks!!

Talk about not wanting to make a decision! I originally asked if I should get a semi-auto shotgun or a bow for hunting. Got people saying both ways, and people saying get a pump. Well, as of a few days ago, I now have all three [laugh]

mossy.jpg

And I even have a Turkey barrel, which I wasn't actually planning on at all. But the combo was too good of a deal to pass up!

Ok, learned a few thing today. Lesson one: keep your head back a bit when shooting slugs. Lesson two: Don't tell your child's preschool teacher that the big red mark on your face was made by your shotgun.

Back
Top Bottom