Oil lamps

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

Picked these up at Walmart for $5.97 ea. Very good deal. Puts out a lot of light and used lamp oil.

Had to use mine during the power outage we had last week. Totally worth having 2 or 3, good find, I may pick up an extra tomorrow.

I remember reading somewhere in this sub forum that you could actually use olive oil in a pinch. I have not tried that though.

Look here question 3--

http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm

Be very careful what type of fuel you put in your lamp/lanterns!!! If you use the wrong fuel?? Best case-- ruin your wick. Worst cast-- burn your house down!! I've been in the lantern business for 35 years and have seen many accidents from wrong fuel. You'd be surprised how many people have tried Colman fuel or gasoline in wick type lamp/lanterns!!!!! What you've just done is make a fancy Molotov Cocktail!!!

K-1 kerosene is best. The synthetic kerosene's are good but very expensive. I use dyed kerosene. I burn 55 gallons a year or more so the dyed is the way I go. It does clog my wicks sooner but well worth it in the long run. The above link will tell you the peril's of "Lamp Oil" Most Lamp Oil's in the United States are mis-marked and contain paraffin. Paraffin will clog a flat wick in no time, and to top if off, will only burn at 50% the brightness for the short time it will burn.

Not every walmart carries the lamp oils and lamps anymore. Most around here do not and I could not find any of those nice glass ones. Dartmouth actually had lamp oil today but only 3 bottles left and had the kerosene lamps in the camping section. I was hoping to find a couple more of the glass ones but no such luck.

Lamps have been in every Walmart I've looked in, although it has been 5 years since I last looked for a lamp. Head towards more rural areas, or NH/Maine, and your odds of finding them go way up. I wouldn't make a special trip though.

They should be in the candle section. I would not recommend the oil lanterns in the sporting goods section, they are cheaply made and leak. Headed out to pick up however more left my Walmart has.

There are a ton at the Walmart near me in Somersworth NH. Picked up another jug of lamp oil the other day. If they are not in the candle section walk around. I found the ones at Walmart on an end of an aisle in a random place. Also ask an employee. THey might know where they are.

I just got off the phone with the guy from lanternet.com. He told me they have been right out straight with emergency preparedness orders. If you are looking for oil lanterns that is the place to get them. They arent that much more than the crappy Walmart ones and they wont leak.

Not every walmart carries the lamp oils and lamps anymore. Most around here do not and I could not find any of those nice glass ones. Dartmouth actually had lamp oil today but only 3 bottles left and had the kerosene lamps in the camping section. I was hoping to find a couple more of the glass ones but no such luck.

As of 11:00 today Fairhaven had about 1/2 dozen lamps in the candle section. And lamp oil. No lamps in Raynham but plenty of oil... go figure.

Last edited:
Been looking for some of these for a while... Might have to check the Bellingham location tonight... Anyone know if they have them there?

Look here question 3--

http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm

Be very careful what type of fuel you put in your lamp/lanterns!!! If you use the wrong fuel?? Best case-- ruin your wick. Worst cast-- burn your house down!! I've been in the lantern business for 35 years and have seen many accidents from wrong fuel. You'd be surprised how many people have tried Colman fuel or gasoline in wick type lamp/lanterns!!!!! What you've just done is make a fancy Molotov Cocktail!!!

K-1 kerosene is best. The synthetic kerosene's are good but very expensive. I use dyed kerosene. I burn 55 gallons a year or more so the dyed is the way I go. It does clog my wicks sooner but well worth it in the long run. The above link will tell you the peril's of "Lamp Oil" Most Lamp Oil's in the United States are mis-marked and contain paraffin. Paraffin will clog a flat wick in no time, and to top if off, will only burn at 50% the brightness for the short time it will burn.

Great post!

I bought several Dietz Monarch train lanterns w/ clear globes last year at a yard sale for $1 each. Wit K-1, I was truly amazed at how light they put out and cannot imagine being without them in a blackout.

I learned early on when we first moved into our house and lost power and phone for 4 days. I have oil lamps in every room of my house and have several wall ones for like the hallway, etc.

I have 2 Dietz Junior's and 1 (used to be 2 [sad]) el-cheapo oil lamp. I ordered them all through Lehmans (great store, BTW).

I've seen lamp oil at Klem's in Spencer, and in the local Wally World (Rt117)

Try Hess gas stations- many have kero, right out of the pump.

http://hessexpress.com/locations/default.aspx

[un?]Fortunately, I have reliable electrical service, so my collection of vintage lamps is more decorative than useful ( though one match, and I have light!). IMO, yard and estate sales are the best source, as I think that lamps made for when they were not just a backup are better quality. Of course, if you need it NOW, that's another thing....

My mom grew up with them, and she taught me the right way to trim the wicks, and get the most light with the least smoke in the chimney.

Question? If a lamp with right oil gets knocked over will it start a blaze or are they pretty safe?
I got the basic safty rules part down.

Question? If a lamp with right oil gets knocked over will it start a blaze or are they pretty safe?
I got the basic safty rules part down.

I know the Dietz tube lanterns will go out if they get knocked over. The cheap table lamps I have will NOT go out. I just tried it with one, and it leaked like the Titanic, and kept burning.

Well, we lost power last week (tripped breaker on the landlord's side of the house). The one small lamp I had inside was woefully inadequate, so I ordered some more from Lehmans. I got a Dietz #80/Blizzard, a 'chamber lamp' with a handle, and a reflector lamp.

I now have the reflector lamp hanging in the bedroom. It throws a good amount of light....almost enough to read by comfortably. Got the Dietz hanging by the back door, and the chamber lamp in the living room.

Should be G2G the next time the power goes out!

And BTW, if anyone is looking for lamp oil, they had some at the Rt117 Wally World tonight.

Here's another source for oil lanterns:

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Emergency-Kerosene-Lantern-3-Pack-P14250.aspx

Probably not 'Made in the USA' or of the absolute highest in quality, but exceeds what my local Walmart had in stock...and they'll ship to Mass.

Radioman - Does K1 kerosene have any kind of shelf life? If I stuck a gallon of it in the garage or basement can I expect it to last several years or do you recommend some kind of preservative?

I have been collecting Kerosene lamps for about the last 20 years.
I have a collection that includes Aladdin Lamps - some of which were used in the cabooses of the B&O railroad.
I believe that the single mantle jobs gives off about the equivalence of about a 60 watt bulb.
http://www.aladdinlamps.com/

I tried going the lamp oil route about 10 or 15 years ago because of the initial smell of kerosene but found that just as others has said - you can't beat kerosene when it comes to light and to keeping the wicks in good shape.

I would say a person might have to trim a wick about every 3 nights with kerosene - or you can just pinch the clinkers off the top and keep using it until it gets uneven.
The trick is to trim it so it tapers as it goes towards the edge like the top of your finger is round.

We had Dietz lanterns in the basement of our hunting camp that were probably 50 years old when we took them up there and are probably 90 - 100 years old now and still works as good as the day they were new.

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=WKL

The best part of those lamps is the fact that the kerosene will keep for many years and the lanterns do give out both heat and light - which is a good thing in a power outage.

I was at the local Walmart by me and saw that they sell two sizes of lanterns - small and large - for $5 and $10 ea. Made in China, kind of rickety looking, but would likely get the job done in an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom