local sources for bulk lamp oil?

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
ok, I need to get a few gallons of lamp oil, the thing that does not smell. I will not use Kerosene. I really want good quality lamp oil.

Walmart in Fram, had none. Lowes says that's it's a seasonal item [shocked] Michaels has what looks like very good quality lamp oil, but it's something like $6 per 10fl oz. Dicks has 64oz for $8, but that's Tiki torch fuel with Lemon grass oil. I don't know if that matters, I never used Tiki torches, I heard that they smell. Anyone has any leads on where to find a few gallons and at what price?

hmm, I don't know if there is a LL Bean near Framingham. I'm willing to travel and mailing that may be more than %6 Mass tax.

so hoes does that Citronella oil rate compared to regular non-smelling oil?

hmm, I don't know if there is a LL Bean near Framingham. I'm willing to travel and mailing that may be more than %6 Mass tax.

I've used the citronella inside before. It's nowhere near as strong when used in hurricane lamps as tiki torches. I did not find it to be bothersome.

I use klean heat in my cold blast Dietz and Kirkman lanterns. I bought it at Home Depot, it was ~$11/gallon. It is recommended by http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm. I've also picked up Medallion lamp oil for $9/half gallon at Ace Hardware. Both are not completely odor free but are a lot better than others that I've tried.

Check target/kmart, its probably with the candles. Also the dollar stores typically have it, I its usually about quart or liter size bottles of it.

Have you tried a good local hardware store? If they don't have it they can order it for you.

Robinson's have 100oz bottle for 18.99 and Monnick had 64oz for 8.49 and 32oz for $4 of "really good shit"

Odorless mineral spirits. No smoke either and doesn't blacken the globes. Found in any wal mart 'bout 12 bucks a gallon.

I think that Odorless min spirits are exactly what the "lamp oil" is. It's parafin derived compound that was better refined to remove "aromatic" compounds that make them smell like crap. Kerosene is actually parafin oil too, I'm guessing it wasn't refined as well though. If this is the case, Home Despot and Loves have Odorless Min Spirits in gallon sized jars in the paint department. I know it's a pretty common item.

I use klean heat in my cold blast Dietz and Kirkman lanterns. I bought it at Home Depot, it was ~$11/gallon. It is recommended by http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm. I've also picked up Medallion lamp oil for $9/half gallon at Ace Hardware. Both are not completely odor free but are a lot better than others that I've tried.

I have this as well and it works nicely and no real smell. I have used the lamp oil and it smells much worse than klean heat. My wife isn't too fond of the lamp oil but is fine with the klean heat.

Read this before you consider Mineral Spirits. THis guy is the man when it comes to lamps and lanterns:

http://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm

Question 3 addresses fuels for wick lamps and lanterns

that is an excellent piece of information. Apparently min spirits have much lower flash point, not good for lamps!

The "new" mall off 128 in Dedham has an LL Bean store and maybe able to help you out.

I've ordered unscented 99% pure liquid paraffin online, kind of expensive. I went back to 1-K/K-1 kerosene, cheaper, and only has an odor when you blow it out.

My friend that breaths fire gets his clean burn (paraffin free) lamp oil at Kmart, walmart, and Walgreen. Trick is finding it in stock.

Might also try Ocean State Job Lot or Christmas Tree Shop.

Coyotee... you let "My friend that breaths fire" slip by? [rofl]
I saw this thread resurrected and all I could think of was "What epic thing did Boris do in 2012 with lamp oil???" and MSant is the one that comes up with a firebreather??

Back
Top Bottom