Kohler Generator Oil filter?

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
We have a 14kw Kohler Genset with a 725cc air-cooled twin engine. I want to get a couple of spare oil filters and extra oil [full synthetic 5W-30] but can't figure out what the right one is.

The one on it has a #: 78-32822-1455. But that doesn't show up anywhere as a cross-reference. Because Kohler also makes engines (stand-alone), there are a number of part numbers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 45
If you have your owners manual, it should be in there. If not, get the model # and serial # off the engine plate, and call Kohler. Then you can cross reference their number and check on the net for better price.

12-050-001-S I believe is the correct part number for that generator oil filter.
It cross references to many standard branded filters.
If you want real Kohler I would recommend jacks Small Engines. I have bought a lot of stuff from them and they are good to deal with.

That's not the Kohler number can you get a better shot of the entire tag on the filter? I'd bet there is another number on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
12-050-001-S I believe is the correct part number for that generator oil filter.
It cross references to many standard branded filters.
If you want real Kohler I would recommend jacks Small Engines. I have bought a lot of stuff from them and they are good to deal with.
I replaced it and the "S" filter is the same as the 001, apparently. But it worked no problem. Bought for $8.05 with free Amazon shipping as an add-on item.

Used Castrol Synthetic in the recommended 5W-30 weight. Unit calls for a change every 60 hours or one year of operation. My unit had 40.6 hours. About 18 were scheduled exercise runs. We had one 15 hour outage last August and the rest were of short duration.

Think I'm going to get the web link so I can control it remotely. If we're not there, unless it's really cold there's no need for it to run. We've switched to propane for maintaining the temp in winter and the Rinnai only needs about 120W for the fan.

Last edited:
I was reading your update and mine kicked on for its weekly exercise as I open the post!
i think it's reading my iPad.
[smile]

If you download the Kohler OnCue Plus app, it has a demo mode that shows some of the features even without a login. The generator routinely communicates with the cloud server, can send email alerts for any change in status, and you can view a whole ton of parameters, including battery charge level, engine temp, oil temp, etc.

Think I'm going to get the web link so I can control it remotely.
My Kohler installer wasn't even aware of the "OnCue Plus" option, didn't try to upsell me on it, and strongly recommended against shutting the generator down once it took over during an outage, something about starting under load if you don't have a load-shedding ATS?

However, when the installer gave me the packet of manuals, there was an activation keycode in the pack, and when I unscrewed the control panel there was a loose ethernet cable attached. So you might actually have the web link and not even know it, or just need a license code for the website.

If we're not there, unless it's really cold there's no need for it to run. We've switched to propane for maintaining the temp in winter and the Rinnai only needs about 120W for the fan.
The tricky part is that if you shut down the generator remotely, and don't have some sort of battery-backup for the internet connection, you wouldn't be able to restart it again remotely.

I'm really tempted to add a "gravity wall furnace" with millivolt thermostat, so I can have some automatic heat without any power at all.

Good tips. I've found the cable but didn't have the presence of mind to have the installer run an Ethernet cable through the conduit to the house. I bought this from Vermont Generator Systems because he worked with the electrician I hired, and neither of them were very responsive, though the install works great. If I had it to do over I probably would have gone with Yestramski in Concord.

Perhaps I can get it to connect wirelessly, have to look into it. I have it on the far side of a detached garage so we don't have to listen to it so it's a good 50 feet or more.

Last edited:
Good tips. I've found the cable but didn't have the presence of mind to have the installer run an Ethernet cable through the conduit to the house. I bought this from Vermont Generator Systems because he worked with the electrician I hired, and neither of them were very responsive, though the install works great. If I had it to do over I probably would have gone with Yestramski in Concord. Perhaps I can get it to connect wirelessly, have to look into it. I have it on the far side of a detached garage so we don't have to listen to it so it's a good 50 feet or more.
Kohler's Wireless kit GMXXX85-KP3 is an AP, power cable, and the activation code to enable the service, it's a $50 premium over just buying an activation key by itself, not a bad deal.

Nice. Know the ballpark cost? This is user installable?
Yes, it's user installable, looks like this:

Since you said you see an ethernet cable hanging off the controller, you just need to know which model of controller your generator has to get the right kit and the activation key. The RDC2/DC2 controller just need a code and (optionally) the wireless bridge. For more info, see http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/2e/2e565eab-d901-4689-a17f-28188f8c52b7.pdf and http://www.generatorsforless.com/ac...14/20-resa-24-38-48-and-60-rcl-|-gm81385-kp3/

I'm not sure of the value of Kohler's activation or annual "subscription", other generator brands charge $100/year, I think Kohler wants $20/year for renewals. As I mentioned, my installer didn't know the activation code was included with generator purchase, I found it a week later in with the warranty cards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom