Oh Deer. Hopkinton Sportsmens

I saw a deer on the archery range (next to one of the 3D targets) at my club when I practicing for Bow season last August!

He may have been trying to get lucky...

Wow, I’ve been there even when it’s super quiet and have yet to see a deer. Cool. Perhaps the club can teach it to pick up spent brass?

Me either. There aren't enough nodes to keep an eye on all of the ranges. Still, they do help reduce the knucklehead to shooter ratio.

I also check the card key logs whenever the caretaker informs me of late/early range activity.

I would not join a club that had cameras.

Cv46Kwj.png

:emoji_tiger:

Because I don't need anyone watching me. Because I don't want fudds complaining about what I'm doing. Same reasons that I wouldn't join a club that had ROs present at all times, required sign-ins, etc.

Excuse me for not understanding, but most clubs have cameras to prevent damage and similar violations of the club rules. If members were truly honest and trustworthy there would be no need for cameras. However to my knowledge it is one way to keep the range safe and law abiding. I know of no other reason why they would go to the expense of having cameras except to keep the rule breakers under control.

It's not just rule breakers ... El Prez and the board can keep an eye on club usage; see how long the cleaning crew works for the money we pay them; and see if the ranges are plowed or in need of service.

I also check the card key logs whenever the caretaker informs me of late/early range activity.
I didn't realize we had a caretaker ... care to fill me in?

Some important things:

1. We do not have audio on the cameras. Yes, we could under MGL if we posted a notice. But, that is not in any future plans.

2. We once had a very nice butcher block table liberated from the clubhouse a number of years ago. If we had the camera and key logging system we have now, we might have been able to track down what happened.

3. HSA does not have any "hidden" cameras" Everything is in plain sight.

4. We have had multiple instances of damage from commercial entities either servicing the club or using the parking lot as a turn around. Once, we had to replace the bollards by the well (the company that hit them owned up to it), and on another occasion we had to replace the power line because a tall truck took it out.

5. We also provide wireless (unpassworded) at the clubhouse, rifle and pistol ranges. None of this "wireless for board members only" nonsense. Great for meeting someone for test fire, sale and E-FA10.

6. The club presidents position on RO supervised shooting only contains a reference to his dead body. Cameras are a tool to make the RO only approach less appealing.

7. The cameras are used to monitor snow accumulation and plowing status in the winter.

I would not join a club that had cameras.
Excessive growth has been an issue for the club, which is why the sponsorship requirement is now "real". The philosophy is for the club to do all it can to serve the members, not cast a wide net begging for more. If a few people do not join because of cameras, it will further the goal of controlled and selective membership growth.

Me either. There aren't enough nodes to keep an eye on all of the ranges.
We are having conduit pre-placed for adding cameras on the conex box by the shorter pistol ranges. Talk to ElPrez if you want cameras added there next year. I believe doing it this year falls into the same category as counting to five with the HHGOA o_O

Because I don't want fudds complaining about what I'm doing.
That would be a problem at Hopkinton if you were in the habit of shooting holes in the indoor range ceiling or using rifles on the range with the "pistols only" sign. It would not be a problem if what you are doing is running & gunning; fast draw; speed shooting; loading a magazine to capacity; etc. I am aware of two incidents in the 6+ years of cameras in which members were spoken to. That's about once every 3 years.

Last edited:
Because I don't need anyone watching me. Because I don't want fudds complaining about what I'm doing. Same reasons that I wouldn't join a club that had ROs present at all times, required sign-ins, etc.

I agree that being Big Brothered is not a good situation.

However, there are times where damage has been noted that can not be attributed to an "oops" or a really crappy shot/shooter.

Willful destruction of Club property is willful destruction of MY property. And, I'm not in favor of that. I'm not the best pistol shot in the world, but I can't see the way that some shots have been fired at where they hit, unless the shooter was completely incompetent, or wanting to destroy sh!t

So, Kalash....were you to belong to a Club that had shots over the berm, or into obviously non-target items (at a Club that I used to belong to, a fire extinguished was found to have been used as an impromptu target on the indoor range [rolleyes], what would you see as a solution?

We have cameras at my Club - and the tapes are only reviewed when there is damage...not to oversee people just using it.

I really have no right to bitch because I'm non-participant in club politics, and generally like the club. Just not thrilled with being on camera. There are good and valid reasons for them, but still somehow waiting for the day when someone bitches at me for walking down range or between pits with a rifle when I'm there alone or something.

If I were a bitching man, I'd say cover all the parking lots, entrance, gate, before watching shooters... but as I mentioned, no right to bitch.

Mike

If I were a bitching man, I'd say cover all the parking lots, entrance, gate, before watching shooters...
The entrance and the gates were the very first things covered.
but still somehow waiting for the day when someone bitches at me for walking down range or between pits with a rifle when I'm there alone or something.
You'll be waiting a LONG time, at least with the current administration.

Good to hear on both fronts... As I said, just the classic idea of not loving being on camera... Also as I said, I've got no right to say anything cause I pay my dues, show up, and enjoy shooting stuff.

Mike

I don't like it either, however, would you join a club that put up cameras to eschew most of the rest of that crap?

What if the cameras are for dealing with non-member problems? For example, one of the clubs I was a member at put up trail cams because they had issues with trespassers using the facilities, discarding trash on the property, etc. I don't really see a solution there unless the no camera contingent is going to set up a tent and patrol the property in shifts, lol.

Most of the clubs that have cameras don't really go leering into the footage unless there is a problem.

-Mike

I'll take cameras over ROs all day any day. Most shooters follow the rules and as such there's no reason to worry you're going to be "talked" too. That I'm on camera doesn't really bother me. Well, unless they record me taking a piss in the woods.....

I'll take cameras over ROs all day any day. Most shooters follow the rules and as such there's no reason to worry you're going to be "talked" too. That I'm on camera doesn't really bother me. Well, unless they record me taking a piss in the woods.....
Hmmmm, no. The cameras do not show that angle. Thankfully.

As Rob said, they are there solely for the protection of the club and its members.
As the XO, they have helped me in a few discussions with folks.

Back
Top Bottom