• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gee. Too many deer. What to do?

As someone who has been in the fence business for almost 40 years, I can tell you with absolute certainty, deer can jump over a 6' tall fence like it is not even there.
I have personally witnessed this on several occasions.
They generally prefer not to enter an enclosure, but like I said, I have seen it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNs1ehoO-o

I knew a guy who started a venison farm in Maine years back.
All was fine until the snow came and turned a 6 foot fence into a step over the top rail. 😂

I knew a guy who started a venison farm in Maine years back.
All was fine until the snow came and turned a 6 foot fence into a step over the top rail. 😂
"Deer Fence" is typically a 10' tall mesh fence. It is not cheap and they sell a metric shit ton of the stuff on Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket, but pretty much anywhere that rich people don't want deer eating their shrubbery. Lots of deer fence in Dover, Sherborn, Newton etc.

"Deer Fence" is typically a 10' tall mesh fence. It is not cheap and they sell a metric shit ton of the stuff on Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket, but pretty much anywhere that rich people don't want deer eating their shrubbery. Lots of deer fence in Dover, Sherborn, Newton etc.
I know. It didn’t stop us from laughing for a long time at the shop.

They have solutions.

They do deer calls once in a while, hunters that took a class set up in parks at night and do head shots.

But I couldn't find a lot of info about it, like if they only do it in certain areas, or if they have to vote on it, how often they do it...

We could feed all the illegal immigrants with all that Venison. Send them to Livonia!!!

A huge problem here but I want the birds. The deer are such a PITA but the electric fence keeps them out of my garden.
Aw, c'mon! You're in northern Maine. No just popping off a few shots and filling your freezer? The neighbors would probably even help! [rofl]
As someone who has been in the fence business for almost 40 years, I can tell you with absolute certainty, deer can jump over a 6' tall fence like it is not even there.
They generally prefer not to enter an enclosure, but like I said, I have seen it.

Take down that video! The illegals will study it and take lessons!

I have absolutely no doubt a deer can jump over my fence.

Probably able to jump in and out if my yard 50 times a day.

Aside from trying to get away from a predator why would they want to?

So much effort and nothing to eat on the other side.

I’ve seen plenty of deer in neighbors yards on the other side of the fence.

None have seemed interested enough to jump into my yard. Lol

1704651286294.jpeg

You hit the nail on the head. It's about a food source.
Plant an apple tree and those deer will jump in.

This is why I want to buy a nice property out west. I would plant a bunch of apple trees and some tall grass near by.

I know a person that has apple trees in the front, apples trees in the back and some tall grass in between with a path cut out for her dogs. A group of 6 deer sleep in the tall grass and spend the day around the apple trees.

In MI. That state has a rep for having more hunters per square mile than any other state in the country. Over half a million gun hunters hit the woods annually. Kind of crazy to think they could have a population problem.

Seems to me like they have a solution. I would be willing to wager they would have a line of hunters waiting to solve that issue for them if they would grant them the required access.
Well, the deer are in backyards, not the woods, I guess.

They have solutions.

They do deer calls once in a while, hunters that took a class set up in parks at night and do head shots.

But I couldn't find a lot of info about it, like if they only do it in certain areas, or if they have to vote on it, how often they do it...
Most of the time....these aren't "hunters". They are sharpshooter type guys that shoot over a baited area, hired by a town/city/state under a commercial deer management program.

Hunters can't legally hunt at night and to my knowledge no fish and wildlife in any state has relaxed restrictions on deer to for regular hunters to do that.

White Buffalo is one such outfit that towns in CT used to hire, and they used to do it fairly quietly and not tell people about it. One reason why the deer population really dropped in CT, they opened up all sorts of state land....and were letting White Buffalo cull as well at night, without telling many people about it. Towns like Redding, Ridgefield, etc.

White Buffalo would throw the deer in the dump after, they don't use them unless town specifies it, and if there isn't a program that they can take them to a place and just dump them off ungutted......they won't do it. In CT, at the time, there wasn't. They landfilled them.

Even then I'm sure they charge more for a deer that is killed and has to be brought to a butcher, probably at least 200 a deer more, so most towns aren't gonna want to pay the extra.

Last edited:
Most of the time....these aren't "hunters". They are sharpshooter type guys that shoot over a baited area, hired by a town/city/state under a commercial deer management program.

Hunters can't legally hunt at night and to my knowledge no fish and wildlife in any state has relaxed restrictions on deer to for regular hunters to do that.

White Buffalo is one such outfit that towns in CT used to hire, and they used to do it fairly quietly and not tell people about it. One reason why the deer population really dropped in CT, they opened up all sorts of state land....and were letting White Buffalo cull as well at night, without telling many people about it. Towns like Redding, Ridgefield, etc.

White Buffalo would throw the deer in the dump after, they don't use them unless town specifies it, and if there isn't a program that they can take them to a place and just dump them off ungutted......they won't do it. In CT, at the time, there wasn't. They landfilled them.

Even then I'm sure they charge more for a deer that is killed and has to be brought to a butcher, probably at least 200 a deer more, so most towns aren't gonna want to pay the extra.
I used to have a permit from the airport in Westfield to manage wildlife when it was a problem. The permit specified that the animals taken would be destroyed (burial, landfill or incineration) or donated to a science program. Even though everyone tried to convince me that grilling counted as incinerating, I wasn't going to risk it so we just buried the deer, geese and coyotes. The permits really try to make it killing instead of hunting.

Funny thing, one day we didn't bury the coyote, and as long as we left the carcass out, we didn't have any more on the airfield.

We're all, like, "well, durrrrr, just shoot em."

Did you look up Livonia on Google Maps? It's like trying to shoot coyotes on Nahant. LOL

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.07.30 AM.png

Livonia is a cube that is "thickly settled" in about 90% of it. They're F'd.

Did you look up Livonia on Google Maps? It's like trying to shoot coyotes on Nahant. LOL

View attachment 836819

Yup.......until they have a full bowhunting program allowed that lets people take care of business without neighbors crying about it and bugging the hunters.

Or they get night sharpshooters. They'll have a deer problem.

Part of the problem as well is Michigan has good hunting in most rural places.....so getting actual hunters to deal with wanting to hunt deer in back yards and bother with all the trouble
of dealing with people and douchebag landowners that are crybabies about it. Most hunters aren't gonna bother unless their is a decent sized honey hole with a few trophies in it. That doesn't help really, need to wack like 1000 does........

Last edited:

View attachment 836819

Look at the map. Any missed shots, excess shots, or gunshot noise can just be blamed on the Hyatt Place, Detroit or Holiday Inn, Detroit.

I read the Wo is me article, but nothing is mentioned about the circumstances that caused this problem. I know nothing of the area.
LOL In Mandarin Chinese pinyin "wo" really is "me"

Ipswich, MA was getting overpopulated with deer and there was going to be a special hunt to thin the deer in the area but some asshat named Dorothy Checci O'Brien led protests so it was called off. The deer starved, many people got lyme, deer were desperate and going into yards and gardens after food. The woman later said essentially she didn't care that the deer suffered, only that people didn't kill them. What a piece of work.

LOL In Mandarin Chinese pinyin "wo" really is "me"

Ipswich, MA was getting overpopulated with deer and there was going to be a special hunt to thin the deer in the area but some asshat named Dorothy Checci O'Brien led protests so it was called off. The deer starved, many people got lyme, deer were desperate and going into yards and gardens after food. The woman later said essentially she didn't care that the deer suffered, only that people didn't kill them. What a piece of work.
Should have starved her.

I was well aware of that slut. Fakers and Wankers 7 man board was sucking up to her. The Chairman George Darey was in her pocket.

Back
Top Bottom