• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Off-hand accuracy @ 100 yards

At the nationals...
nationals? a whole other level than the typical club shooter. but i have watched a few high power matches at a local club shot at 200 and some of those folks are pretty impressive during a standing off hand stage. probably more so to me, i've never been much good at rifle shooting.

I think it's impossible to generalize.

Offhand is the hardest position. Unlike the other positions, the learning curve is very slow. I've been dabbling in High Power and CMP type shooting in the last couple years and my standing is only a little better than when I started. I takes a lot of practice to tighten those groups up.

I would do some shooting on paper, then buy a steel target that matches your ability. Maybe buy a steel target a little smaller than the group you can hold to challenge yourself.

I'm not sure I'd use steel for any serious practice of slow fire though. You won't be able to get any information from it other than hit/miss.

anyone remember the ihmsa silhouette matches at camp curtis in reading run by, i think, ron ritchie? he had a little side match where he'd put a .22 turkey target at 175 yds and you got 3 shots for 2 bucks. a hit got you a 1/2 gallon of wild turkey. you could shoot any position, on the ground or standing using of course your silhouette pistol. i never hit it...ever, but there was a local shooter who hit it pretty consistently, standing, using a dan wesson 8" .44 revolver. impressive for sure.
Makes me wish I was old enough to participate in these matches with my Dan Wesson revolvers....sadly I wasn't even born until the late 80s...

I was just reading about the camp curtis range and how it was closed in 98 after allegedly a stray bullet hit a lynnfield woman and her toddler. Interesting and maybe just a coincidence that it was closed the same year that we had many new gun control laws passed[hmmm].

Anyway, sorry to drift off topic. How big was the turkey??

How big was the turkey??
i don't remember the dimensions but it was quite small compared to the regular center fire targets which were rather large, close to life size. they had to paint it orange or florescent lime green in order to see it at 175. it sat on a ledge on the berm.

I think it's impossible to generalize.

Offhand is the hardest position. Unlike the other positions, the learning curve is very slow. I've been dabbling in High Power and CMP type shooting in the last couple years and my standing is only a little better than when I started. I takes a lot of practice to tighten those groups up.

I would do some shooting on paper, then buy a steel target that matches your ability. Maybe buy a steel target a little smaller than the group you can hold to challenge yourself.

I'm not sure I'd use steel for any serious practice of slow fire though. You won't be able to get any information from it other than hit/miss.

This is good advice. I'll add that for the OP to do this, print up some 'printable SR-1 target centers' that fit on a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. Put that on a 30" x 30" or similar sized cardboard sheet, because you're going to need it. The bull on the SR-1 is sized appropriately to to essentially 'dot the I' with the bull (appearing very small at distance) on top of your front sight post if you were to use a 6:00 hold. For scopes, just use center hold. You'll get an idea of how big your groups will be and can size the plate accordingly.

I knew someone back in the day that claimed to be an NRA "Head Shooter"

What's that? I asked.

Apparently, he could hit a head-sized target, consistently, offhand, at 1,000 yards. [rolleyes]

I politely called [bs] as I didn't think that there's a rifle in existence that could hold a 6-7 inch group at 1,000 yards from a concrete rest (though I may have been wrong, if so, let me know), much less from an offhand stance.

I forget what his mumble reply was, but it was a good slam. [laugh]

What's that? I asked.

Apparently, he could hit a head-sized target, consistently, offhand, at 1,000 yards. [rolleyes]
I'll be he also had one of those federal carry permits but either left it at home or didn't bother to renew it.

I can do that in my sleep.

Definitely can’t do it while awake though. Never even tried. By I’m just about 100% accurate in my dreams.

I tried some target shooting today. Only had access to 45 yards, but I was using a MP15/22 and a 2" plate. Offhand with a 1-4x and CCI SV ammo I was hitting around 80%. Tried some Federal 525 bulk and the results drastically plummeted.

I think 4" at 100 yards will be a lot lot harder

Last edited:

What's that? I asked.

I politely called [bs] as I didn't think that there's a rifle in existence that could hold a 6-7 inch group at 1,000 yards from a concrete rest (though I may have been wrong, if so, let me know), much less from an offhand stance.

I forget what his mumble reply was, but it was a good slam. [laugh]

Did he go by the name Grendel? [rofl] Although I think his claim was 1300 yards... [rofl]

-Mike

This is good advice. I'll add that for the OP to do this, print up some 'printable SR-1 target centers' that fit on a 8-1/2 x 11 sheet. Put that on a 30" x 30" or similar sized cardboard sheet, because you're going to need it. The bull on the SR-1 is sized appropriately to to essentially 'dot the I' with the bull (appearing very small at distance) on top of your front sight post if you were to use a 6:00 hold. For scopes, just use center hold. You'll get an idea of how big your groups will be and can size the plate accordingly.

This sounds like a great approach!

I tried some target shooting today. Only had access to 45 yards, but I was using a MP15/22 and a 2" plate. Offhand with a 1-4x and CCI SV ammo I was hitting around 80%. Tried some Federal 525 bulk and the results drastically plummeted.

I think 4" at 100 yards will be a lot lot harder
2” at 50 is same as 4” at 100
The federal 22lr ammo might not hold up at 100 yards. Federal bulk sucks for anything other than blasting/plinking fun

CCi standard can do well , some lots are better than others

Last edited:
15693750372951981438738.jpg I was at my local club today and I let a few guys try out my 513. I was shooting a 4" disc at 100 yards. I was shooting offhand but I let them shoot from the bench to get familiar with the rifle. As I was shooting at the disc I had a globe insert on the front sight. They had never seen such a thing before and these guys have been around guns for a long time, but every rifle they own has a scope. So it occurred to me today that some people may not know much about Iron sights.
These are the different inserts for my Redfield front sight and each serves a specific discipline. I use the post style for silhouette. The globes are for Bullseye targets. The human eye will naturally want to center a circle within a circle. The two globes in the pic have different ID, one for 50 yards and one for 100. On a standard Bullseye target, there is just a hint of white exposed around the globe so alignment is super easy. You are aiming at a black dot upon a white field. Having proper breathing and trigger control will get you a hit every time. That and quality ammo. Loading that high velocity ammo bought in bulk at Walmart? It's not getting you on the podium at the Olympics. Sights cannot compensate for poor fodder and a sloppy stance.

2” at 50 is same as 4” at 100
The federal 22lr ammo might not hold up at 100 yards. Federal bulk sucks for anything other than blasting/plinking fun

CCi standard can do well , some lots are better than others

I get the MOA part, but I feel that my accuracy deteriorate exponentially to the distance. Since I am fair new to the precision shooting, especially with a .22, it could be mental

View attachment 304514 I was at my local club today and I let a few guys try out my 513. I was shooting a 4" disc at 100 yards. I was shooting offhand but I let them shoot from the bench to get familiar with the rifle. As I was shooting at the disc I had a globe insert on the front sight. They had never seen such a thing before and these guys have been around guns for a long time, but every rifle they own has a scope. So it occurred to me today that some people may not know much about Iron sights.
These are the different inserts for my Redfield front sight and each serves a specific discipline. I use the post style for silhouette. The globes are for Bullseye targets. The human eye will naturally want to center a circle within a circle. The two globes in the pic have different ID, one for 50 yards and one for 100. On a standard Bullseye target, there is just a hint of white exposed around the globe so alignment is super easy. You are aiming at a black dot upon a white field. Having proper breathing and trigger control will get you a hit every time. That and quality ammo. Loading that high velocity ammo bought in bulk at Walmart? It's not getting you on the podium at the Olympics. Sights cannot compensate for poor fodder and a sloppy stance.

Today I also used a Globe insert on a 1930's remington targetmaster 41P that was my wifes grandfathers. Had to work the bolt then pull back the firing ping. Fun gun. I did have trouble seeing the 2" steel circle even though it is painted yellow. The target seems to disappear. 4" at 50y was easier to see and hit.

I get the MOA part, but I feel that my accuracy deteriorate exponentially to the distance. Since I am fair new to the precision shooting, especially with a .22, it could be mental

Today I also used a Globe insert on a 1930's remington targetmaster 41P that was my wifes grandfathers. Had to work the bolt then pull back the firing ping. Fun gun. I did have trouble seeing the 2" steel circle even though it is painted yellow. The target seems to disappear. 4" at 50y was easier to see and hit.
Ah yup, cant see it cant hit it. The fun begins.
As for the moa thing....think of your error in moa.
Try to visualize a "cone" of accuracy.

View attachment 304514 I was at my local club today and I let a few guys try out my 513. I was shooting a 4" disc at 100 yards. I was shooting offhand but I let them shoot from the bench to get familiar with the rifle. As I was shooting at the disc I had a globe insert on the front sight. They had never seen such a thing before and these guys have been around guns for a long time, but every rifle they own has a scope. So it occurred to me today that some people may not know much about Iron sights.
A lot of folks dont want to shoot great grampa's old iron sighted rifles!
Another advantage of aperture sights is they can aid poor vision to a point.
My daughter is a prime example. With out her Rx she cant see a rear sight. With her Rx she can but now the target is a bit tough to see.
She can shoot with out her Rx glasses when she looks through a rear peep and a front globe.
Target is clearer and she can either center the "rings" or put the post style on the target and squeeze the trigger.

With the .22LR, when shooting offhand at 100 yards, you are fighting 2 different things simultaneously:
1. The accuracy of the particular load/brand out of that rifle at what is extended range (for the .22). That round may shoot great at 50 yards, but it may start to lose it rapidly beyond that.
2. The further away you shoot, the more important your follow-through. Sights moving out of the black at 50 yards may get you a 9, but at 100 yards they're going to get you an 8 or maybe 7.

And 3. It IS mental.

Back
Top Bottom