• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Odd reply to Classified Ad.

Bt74

NES Member
Just posted an older Ruger 1022 Charger in the classifieds last night. Made it clear it was in NH, and that I have no clue as to legality in the PRM. Was PMd by a Green member, 100% rating on 8 transactions. I know posting PMs are verboten, but this has me confounded.: "Hello is that still available? I'm located in MA, I can pay for ffl this thing to my ffl. It has to be shipped in parts."
I replied that this sounded sketchy, have not heard back. Thoughts?

Sounds sketch, but it's Mass with their lists and stuff. Just looked at your ad, and he probably wouldn't be able to take the magazine.

I personally would wait until I found a NH buyer or an out of state buyer that knew what he was doing.

Sounds sketch, but it's Mass with their lists and stuff. Just looked at your ad, and he probably wouldn't be able to take the magazine.

I personally would wait until I found a NH buyer or an out of state buyer that knew what he was doing.
Thanks, the "ship it in parts" thing looked like a red flag to me.

Yes, as a NH resident, I’ve given up trying to sell anything on NES that is iffy in MA. Either the buyer has no idea they can’t have it or their FFL is convinced they can’t transfer it.

Like, am I really going to strip a firearm to parts, transfer the bare receiver via FFL, and leave the other parts under a park bench in a brown paper back and fish a bag with 8000 nickels out of the nearby pond?

Just posted an older Ruger 1022 Charger in the classifieds last night. Made it clear it was in NH, and that I have no clue as to legality in the PRM. Was PMd by a Green member, 100% rating on 8 transactions. I know posting PMs are verboten, but this has me confounded.: "Hello is that still available? I'm located in MA, I can pay for ffl this thing to my ffl. It has to be shipped in parts."
I replied that this sounded sketchy, have not heard back. Thoughts?
Probably has a MA dealer lined up to do a frame transfer since it’s not on the list?

Edit: that appears to be an “assault weapon” in MA so not legal in that configuration.

But just the frame isn’t considered a firearm in MA…
Sounds like the person who messaged you is trying to build a SBR??

Probably has a MA dealer lined up to do a frame transfer since it’s not on the list?

Edit: that appears to be an “assault weapon” in MA so not legal in that configuration.
At a minimum it's a pistol not on the approved handgun roster... and depending on age, the 15-round magazine may or may not be pre-ban. [thinking]

Can't say how that gun is classified in MA, but it is a MA thing. Ive asked out of state sellers to ship a frame and the rest separately and they've pretty much "lmao-wtf-nfw'd" me. Shady as hell to non mass holes but there's a reason behind it
Yeah gun owners outside MA would have no idea and it would seem sketchy AF.

Yeah I hear ya. @CrackPot Help?
It's not on the lists, so can't be transferred under ordinary means. Beyond that, it's right on the edge of AW because it has magazine outside the grip, might weight more than 50 ounces unloaded, and the forearm could be considered a barrel shroud per the '94 definition.
semiautomatic pistols with detachable magazines generally require some of the following features:
  • a threaded barrel;
  • a barrel shroud;
  • the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip;
  • a second pistol grip;
  • an unloaded weight over 50 ounces;
  • a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.

Yes, as a NH resident, I’ve given up trying to sell anything on NES that is iffy in MA. Either the buyer has no idea they can’t have it or their FFL is convinced they can’t transfer it.

Like, am I really going to strip a firearm to parts, transfer the bare receiver via FFL, and leave the other parts under a park bench in a brown paper back and fish a bag with 8000 nickels out of the nearby pond?
But wouldn't the bare receiver be a Pistol receiver, ID'd as a Charger receiver, which as far as I can decipher, is an Assault weapon? Oh well.

Not sketchy. I’ve heard of it before. It’s a frame transfer. The buyer would need to find a Mass FFL that’s willing to do it.
I'll give credit to a "foreigner" that requesting to "ship it in parts" isn't very clear. Why not have your receiving FFL split it, since he understands? Or be more specific - "hey, it's completely legal to sell to MA, but to get around the lists, I need you to take the receiver out of the stock."

I thought 22 rimfire couldn't be an assault weapon. Or is that just the ar pattern?
Healey excepted 22 rimfire from the "copy or duplicate" portion of the assault weapon ban as she newly interpreted it 2016 (so, e.g., the S&W M&P 15-22 is not a copy or duplicate of the Colt AR-15 according to Healey). A semi auto 22 with a detachable magazine must still comply with the controlled features test. They're separate concerns.

Healey excepted 22 rimfire from the "copy or duplicate" portion of the assault weapon ban as she interpreted it (so, e.g., the S&W M&P 15-22 is not a copy or duplicate of the Colt AR-15 according to Healey). A semi auto 22 with a detachable magazine must still comply with the controlled features test. They're separate concerns.
And even that exception 1) has no basis in reality, and 2) only applies to FFLs insofar as her power there refers to unfair and deceptive business practices, and the like

Healey excepted 22 rimfire from the "copy or duplicate" portion of the assault weapon ban as she newly interpreted it 2016 (so, e.g., the S&W M&P 15-22 is not a copy or duplicate of the Colt AR-15 according to Healey). A semi auto 22 with a detachable magazine must still comply with the controlled features test. They're separate concerns.
Ok so 10 rounder. What am I missing

Back
Top Bottom