Obligation to inform LEO if carrying?

Do NH pistol/revolver permit holders have a legal obligation to inform LEOs if they are carrying, for example if stopped for a traffic violation?

Here in massachusetts you must first declare that you are a right wing extremist, present your license, then as punishment you must sing " barack hussein obama....mmmm....mmmm....mmmm"

There is NO obligation to tell

There is no legal reason to tell a LEO that you are carrying in this situation in any of the New England states.
If the LEO asks you to get out of the car, it would be prudent to let him know.
If asked to get out of the car, do not say that you are carrying a "gun". Instead, say "Officer, I will do as you ask, but first I must tell you that I have a license to carry and am carrting a firearm.
How would you like me to proceed?

Whenever I see a police officer, whether driving or not, I yell "I have a gun" as loudly as possible. You can't be too careful.

Whenever I see a police officer, whether driving or not, I yell "I have a gun" as loudly as possible. You can't be too careful.

It works best if you lean out the window and wave the gun around so the officer can see it.

I need to do my good deed of the day and remind the sarcasm challenged that neither of these are good things to do. OK now everyone, stick a paper clip into the electric sockets now.

Do NH pistol/revolver permit holders have a legal obligation to inform LEOs if they are carrying, for example if stopped for a traffic violation?

No, we do not have a legal obligation to inform.

I've spoken with several officers, all of whom would enjoy the courtesy of a heads-up (and permit presentation) at the beginning of a traffic stop. After I spoke with a trooper who told me he would disarm me and take my weapon back to his car for the duration of the stop, though, I decided that I would not volunteer this information unless I was (a) asked to step out of the car, or (b) asked specifically if I had weapons in the vehicle.

the last two times i've been pulled over in NH, the first question the LEO asked me was "do you have any weapons in the car today"

luckily, both times I wasn't carrying. Now that more often, I drive really slowly across the border.

AGNTSA.... [thinking]

carl-agntsa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom