• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reasons to keep NR NH Permit?

Hello,

I am looking for advise and I value the expertise here.

My wife and I hold non resident NH Permits, and both permits expire in 6 months. I am debating if they are worth renewing @ $100 each. We currently hold several permits. (Resident MD, and non resident permits from D.C., PA, ME, R.I., UT, FL, and CT and MA are in process)

Is there any advantage to renewing the NH permit when considering the other permits we already have?

All of our other permits give us reciprocity in some way. The ME allows us to carry in Acadia NP.

We travel all over the US for our business and for vacation.

Thank you for your time.

Chad

Last edited:
There are some states with reciprocity for the NH non-res, not a lot so it will depend on where you go and what other permits you have. And there is carry on ATVs, and Fed zones that require a permit, but again it depends on where you go and what other permits you have.

There are some states with reciprocity for the NH non-res, not a lot so it will depend on where you go and what other permits you have. And there is carry on ATVs, and Fed zones that require a permit, but again it depends on where you go and what other permits you have.
Huh, what Fed zones?? If you mean the 1000' school zone law, nobody enforces that. You'd need a Fed agent making that arrest/case and they don't have time for that nonsense.

Current law only gives privileges to off-road vehicles if you have a NH P/R license. IIRC, nothing else except perhaps reciprocity with a few other states for a NR P/R.

Hello,

My wife and I hold non resident NH Permits, and both permits expire in 6 months. I am debating if they are worth renewing @ $100 each. We currently hold several permits. (Resident MD, and non resident permits from D.C., PA, ME, R.I., UT, FL, and CT and MA are in process)

Is there any advantage to renewing the NH permit when considering the other permits we already have?

All of our other permits give us reciprocity in some way. The ME allows us to carry in Acadia NP.

Thank you for your time.

Chad
I got the NH non-resident since I travel to NH often from MA, and reciprocity was almost as many states as Utah NR.

Huh, what Fed zones?? If you mean the 1000' school zone law, nobody enforces that. You'd need a Fed agent making that arrest/case and they don't have time for that nonsense.
Ya that, may not be enforced but it is there.
Current law only gives privileges to off-road vehicles if you have a NH P/R license. IIRC, nothing else except perhaps reciprocity with a few other states for a NR P/R.
"215-A:20 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on an OHRV, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159."

So 1000' school zone, if they choose to enforce it
ATVs and Snowmobiles. RSA 159 covers both resident and non-resident so a non-res NH permit would definitely apply.
And reciprocity in 11 states (according to USCCA) Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia

Ya that, may not be enforced but it is there.

"215-A:20 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on an OHRV, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159."

So 1000' school zone, if they choose to enforce it
ATVs and Snowmobiles. RSA 159 covers both resident and non-resident so a non-res NH permit would definitely apply.
And reciprocity in 11 states (according to USCCA) Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia
Keep in mind that local/state police can NOT enforce Fed Law, just like Feds can't enforce local/state laws. The 1000' issue is a big nothing-burger.

Keep in mind that local/state police can NOT enforce Fed Law, just like Feds can't enforce local/state laws. The 1000' issue is a big nothing-burger.

The Feds and NH LEOs do work in concert on occasion to bring both state and Federal charges. One of my friends is a member of NH Marine Patrol and NHMP works with the Feds to make arrests on the water. Drug dealers are also sometimes intentionally arrested by local LEOs within school zones; if an intended result isn't effectuated by the county attorney, the case may be instead handled by the US Attorney in NH.

Regardless, if someone doesn't actually visit NH or need the reciprocity benefit, then the NH non-res offers nil value.

SO and also no other NH stores will ask for a NH P/R (Res or NR) at any time. It is meaningless up here. They ask for a DL from residents and MA LTC from MA inmates.

A *resident* P&R opens up easier private sales under RSA 159:14, but that's a different discussion.

I wouldn't bother, with you living in Maryland. And speaking of MD, carry permits are rare down there, how'd you both manage those?!

Did you note the non-resident DC permit? Hen's teeth.

Pursuant to the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Wrenn v. District of Columbia and Grace v. District of Columbia, applicants for a license to carry a concealed handgun in the District of Columbia no longer need to provide a good reason for carrying a handgun. All other suitability and training requirements as described in the regulations and application must still be met. All forms and information sheets will be updated shortly. In the meantime, if there is a reference to providing a good reason, please disregard.

If your application for a carry license has been previously denied because of a failure to provide a good reason, you may reapply for a license to carry. You will not be charged a fee for this application.

Source: Applying for a License to Carry a Handgun | mpdc

JFC -
In addition to meeting all of the Eligibility Requirements to Register a Firearm, an individual applying to carry a concealed firearm must meet the follwing suitability requirements:

1. Meets all the requirements for a person registering a firearm.
  2. Completed a firearms training course by an instructor certified by the Chief ( You may apply for an exemption based on previous training within the past 2 years)
  3. Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance, unless the habitual use of a controlled dangerous substance is under licensed medical direction.
  4. Has not exhibited propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render a person’s possession of a concealed pistol a danger to the person or another.
  5. Does not currently suffer nor has suffered in the previous five years from any mental disorder, illness, or condition that creates a substantial risk that he or she is a danger to himself or herself or others
Source: Suitability Requirements to be Licensed to Carry a Concealed Firearm | mpdc

Hello,

Thank you for your time.

Chad

I have a NH non-resident permit. With it and NH as a destination I'm covered by FOPA. Which means that I can legally transport through MA and/or RI where I'm not licensed.

My GA/CT combo gets me past DC/MD/NJ/NY.

The Feds and NH LEOs do work in concert on occasion to bring both state and Federal charges. One of my friends is a member of NH Marine Patrol and NHMP works with the Feds to make arrests on the water. Drug dealers are also sometimes intentionally arrested by local LEOs within school zones; if an intended result isn't effectuated by the county attorney, the case may be instead handled by the US Attorney in NH.

Regardless, if someone doesn't actually visit NH or need the reciprocity benefit, then the NH non-res offers nil value.

A *resident* P&R opens up easier private sales under RSA 159:14, but that's a different discussion.
That's a red herring. They don't go about arresting on GFSZ charges for nominally law-abiding citizens . . . that's as likely as getting arrested in NH for jay-walking.

Since the OP is a NR, private sales is totally irrelevant to his needs.
I have a NH non-resident permit. With it and NH as a destination I'm covered by FOPA. Which means that I can legally transport through MA and/or RI where I'm not licensed.

Since NH doesn't require any licenses, I don't think you need that for FOPA protection.

The NH Non-Res P&RL has nothing to do with your ability to transport through MA and/or RI to NH.

The FOPA text reads: "...from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm..."

There is no requirement in NH to have a P&RL (resident or non-resident) to "lawfully posses and carry" a firearm.

Thank you Len. That and the GFSZ may be considerations for keeping the NH Permit.

I wouldn't bother, with you living in Maryland. And speaking of MD, carry permits are rare down there, how'd you both manage those?!
Maryland issues unrestricted permits to resident and non resident business owners who can show business activity in Maryland. A 16 Hour Class with live fire is required
If I was a Fed or LE I would be covered under LEOSA and wouldn't need all the permits I have.

Did you note the non-resident DC permit? Hen's teeth.

Pursuant to the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Wrenn v. District of Columbia and Grace v. District of Columbia, applicants for a license to carry a concealed handgun in the District of Columbia no longer need to provide a good reason for carrying a handgun. All other suitability and training requirements as described in the regulations and application must still be met. All forms and information sheets will be updated shortly. In the meantime, if there is a reference to providing a good reason, please disregard.

If your application for a carry license has been previously denied because of a failure to provide a good reason, you may reapply for a license to carry. You will not be charged a fee for this application.

Source: Applying for a License to Carry a Handgun | mpdc

JFC -
In addition to meeting all of the Eligibility Requirements to Register a Firearm, an individual applying to carry a concealed firearm must meet the follwing suitability requirements:

1. Meets all the requirements for a person registering a firearm.
  2. Completed a firearms training course by an instructor certified by the Chief ( You may apply for an exemption based on previous training within the past 2 years)
  3. Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance, unless the habitual use of a controlled dangerous substance is under licensed medical direction.
  4. Has not exhibited propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render a person’s possession of a concealed pistol a danger to the person or another.
  5. Does not currently suffer nor has suffered in the previous five years from any mental disorder, illness, or condition that creates a substantial risk that he or she is a danger to himself or herself or others
Source: Suitability Requirements to be Licensed to Carry a Concealed Firearm | mpdc
D.C. is shall issue. Take the required 16 hour class and they will issue a permit. Problem is you have to show up in person to drop off the application at MPD Firearm Division (they take the prints and photo). You also have to register any firearm you plan to carry in D.C.

Overall cost for the permit and registration is about $125.00 for 2 years. The 16 hour class is more costly than the application/registration.

That's a red herring. They don't go about arresting on GFSZ charges for nominally law-abiding citizens . . . that's as likely as getting arrested in NH for jay-walking.

Since the OP is a NR, private sales is totally irrelevant to his needs.

Since NH doesn't require any licenses, I don't think you need that for FOPA protection.
Although largely ignored, technically speaking you need a license issued by the state or political subdivision to be exempt form the GFSZ charges.

Setting aside the issue of the MA exemption for non-resident competitors or gun shop competitors being arguable void due to the "... from a state, district or territory that does not issue to persons convicted of a drug offense...." issue, the MA law otherwise grants this exemption based on an out of state permit. VT residents used to claim that "I don't need a carry permit in my home state so that is the same as having one...." (Nope, not the way the law is worded).

I have never known of a case where a MA resident was arrested for a GFSZ violation (outside the areas covered by MGL 269-10j), or nailed on the non-res competition exemption because their NY (or whatever permit) did not meet the universal drug offense disqualifier standard. Sort of like I have never heard of a police officer saying "That gun in your car in this school parking lot is legal since you have an LTC and the gun is not carried on your person". There are differences between how some laws are written vs. understood by people who can ruin your day.

I am aware of two "exemption" cases in NY. One involved a driver who carelessly placed his CT carry permit in his wallet where a NYSP trooper could see it during the traffic stop. The trooper knew nothing of the NY penal code 265.20 section 13 exemption, but he was spared because one of his passengers had badge immunity. Another involved a case involving someone who attempted to apply the NY exemption a gun found when he was not in a match, and had no registration paperwork or confirmed registration for the match and the ADA was calling trying to confirm if he was attending the match.

New shooters can be proud of just getting their LTC or other gun permit. BAD MOVE to have any of them visible when you open your wallet. Expose only boring stuff like your driving license, company ID, credit card edges. Even the Blue stripe on the edge of a CT permit or the red one on a UT permit can be easily recognized when in the wallet and is like waving a flag in front of the bull.

I checked NY law and also confirmed their neither define nor ban Zoobows.

Last edited:
SO and also no other NH stores will ask for a NH P/R (Res or NR) at any time. It is meaningless up here. They ask for a DL from residents and MA LTC from MA inmates.
Exactly.
Whip out a laminated license when clothes shopping,
and resident customers lose their "free-state attitude"
when they realize their wallet only contains Kleenex®.

Back
Top Bottom