• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nh resident transfer of rifles to non-resident family member

Based on the information provided, he cannot do that legally. Interstate transfer of a firearm requires an FFL-holder at your end.

Correct.

You can go out of state and purchase a long arm, (if the seller believes that you can legally posess that long arm in your state of residence), but he can't ship it to you.

The only exception that I'm aware of is to/from a manufacturer for repair.

Correct.

You can go out of state and purchase a long arm, (if the seller believes that you can legally posess that long arm in your state of residence), but he can't ship it to you.

Technically, that's not an exception, it's a different situation. There is no transfer involved in shipping to/from a manufacturer. It started out as your firearm and still is. A transfer requires an FFL at the receiver's end.

Correct.

Or a C&R item and you hold an 03 FFL, correct?

Unfortunately not a C&R. But....the seller, an 07 SOT, rubbed antenna's 🐜with my local dealer 🐜today, and in two minutes came to a standard solution. It turns out they knew each other, and have done business on numerous occasions!

Hi again.
Turns out since we pay property taxes in NH were have dual residency. I guess we are already owners of the rifles and such in the house. We went to a gun shop and thats what he told us. We are all set. I think.

The OTHER story. So my father in law who is 92 tomorrow, had a best friend who passed away and his sister gave my FIL a Winchester model 94 from 1948 in 32ws to give to his best friend but in the meantime, that friend died.

a lot of dying going on at that age….

so, now they want to give it to me. ( hope i dont die), but now what happens at the FFL to have it transferred to me?

If the current owner (your FIL, if I'm following this) and you are both NH residents (which I think you just said you are above), then there is no need to involve an FFL. Your FIL can just give it to you.

An FFL is only required when a firearm is transferred interstate.

If the current owner (your FIL, if I'm following this) and you are both NH residents (which I think you just said you are above), then there is no need to involve an FFL. Your FIL can just give it to you.

An FFL is only required when a firearm is transferred interstate.
Yes thats right…….now the other half of the rambling post of mine…..

IIRC (IANAL) the Feds have some guidance on the issue of dual residency, and it is something like where you lay your head that night is your home.

The only issue that you have if you have dual residency, and you bring the gun to MA for more than 7 days you have to (iirc ianal) eFA-10 it and it can't have evil features, hi-capacity magazines made after a certain date in 1994, etc etc etc if it is here for 7 seconds, 7 days or 7 years if it was not made before a certain date in 1994.

I was just scheduling a meet to sell a long gun to a buyer and repeated my requirement that to buy F2F from me in NH the buyer would have to show me proof they were a NH resident and not a FPP, as stated in my NES post. Their reply was, they were a cop from another state, so it was OK for them to come to NH to do the deal. Nope.

they can "do the deal", just at a FFL at their expense....

(and these are the people the Glob wants butting into the business of FFL's at the Mill)

I was just scheduling a meet to sell a long gun to a buyer and repeated my requirement that to buy F2F from me in NH the buyer would have to show me proof they were a NH resident and not a FPP, as stated in my NES post. Their reply was, they were a cop from another state, so it was OK for them to come to NH to do the deal. Nope.
Just another example that LEOs are among the least knowledgeable regarding gun laws. I'd say unbelievable, but unfortunately, very believable.

Back
Top Bottom