• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Numchucks? (sp?)

I have a friend of mine that is into martial arts. He has nunchucks that have a cord between them with a knife in the same bag. If he ever gets pulled over, he just cuts the cord, and now he has two pieces of wood.

I hope thats a bad joke...if not tell your friend he needs a "time out" for negligent stupidity...IE. if he gets pulled over and the police are worried about his nunchucks, its probably a bad time for him to go grabbing for a knife...

Last edited:
Along the same lines as cutting the cord but less permanent, check out the Airport Loop Nunchaku here:

http://www.customworkshop.biz/nunchakus.html

A removable link in the metal chain would also work. But it feels like "letter of the law" vs. "spirit of the law". I'm guessing a police office would confiscate those two wooden sticks. You might get them back, but you might have to go to court.

I guess people who practice martial arts with weapons store them at the dojo?

I have a friend of mine that is into martial arts. He has nunchucks that have a cord between them with a knife in the same bag. If he ever gets pulled over, he just cuts the cord, and now he has two pieces of wood.

I'll 2nd securityboy, your friend is going to get himself hurt, killed, or a felony conviction that way.

Along the same lines as cutting the cord but less permanent, check out the Airport Loop Nunchaku here:

http://www.customworkshop.biz/nunchakus.html

That's a brilliant way around the law, similar to Kershaw's "torsion bar" design to make a switchblade that technically isn't one. It definitely has "constructive possession" written all over it though.

I guess people who practice martial arts with weapons store them at the dojo?

I'm guessing many of them unknowingly break the law. Some states (like CT) have exemptions for martial artists transporting their various weapons, but MA isn't one of them. Officer discretion might come into play if it were a legitimate martial artist and not some hood, but I've read recent MA caselaw where a victim disarmed an attacker and was charged with carrying a firearm without a license when he drove to the PD to give them the gun as soon as he broke free...I think dojo storage is the safest route. [thinking]

demotivational-posters-nunchucks.jpg

I have a line on a custom handmade Numchucks.

I want to only keep them in my home because I'm not dumb enough to carry them.

Can I keep possess them in my home?

I have a line on a custom handmade Numchucks.

I want to only keep them in my home because I'm not dumb enough to carry them.

Can I keep possess them in my home?

As far as I can tell, possession at home is fine. But as above, don’t disturb the peace with them... lol

I got a pair many years ago at a police supply place in FL. In FL back in the early 90’s some cops actually carried them.

The one I have, have molded in to the handles “the joe Hess police backup”.

Found them.

Attachments

• D2CF8390-B081-4FA4-BD59-628E42578AC7.jpeg
    D2CF8390-B081-4FA4-BD59-628E42578AC7.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 23
When I was studying abroad in Qingdao, China in Summer 2013 one of my classmates tried to bring nunchucks back with him on the plane to the USA. He also had a tomato gun and a hash/opium pipe. He was able to bring back the tomato gun and pipe but they confiscated his nunchucks. Lol, hilarious times!

A zoobow is anything that Maura want's it to be. Rubber band and paperclips? Zoobow. Bow with zebra stripes painted on it? Zoobow. Think of a zoobow as a fugazi and ease your mind knowing that in MA literally anything can be a zoobow *if* that's what they want it to be:

Think of it as a solid stick that folds up. People who are nasty with them will lay a beating on you sooooo fast.
I've trained with them for almost 40 years and I am proficient with them, but I still think they are silly for a weapon. A stick, or a pair of sticks, (Arnis, Escrima, etc) is/are a much better weapon and you can easily find something shaped like a stick if you need an improvised weapon.

However, once you are proficient with two pairs of nunchaku they can be a valuable training aid to improve your hand speed. However, sticks are better for that also. Again, just my opinion.

How do you guys stand this stuff? You have laws banning everything. Is there a person in your state government paranoid of everything? when it reaches the point where you have to ask and even with a copy of the law people still don't know or understand whats what then what is the point? Your state along with a few other has what I would call a Irrational fear of weaponry. I am sure Freud would have something to say about people with such fear of inanimate objects that have no power for good or evil in and of themselves.
Well our AG is apparently afraid of hard wood. I don’t know how she feels about chains attached to that wood.

The traditional hex shape is nicer than round as it provides an excellent grip; allows grip a bit up the handle (useful for getting extra speed), and makes for a better impact service. One of the teachers in my Jr High school was a master of the weapon and always had a set with him (ah, the good old days where a teacher would borrow your pocket knife to open something then return it to you). His pair was simple - Oak, about 12"; slight taper; hex from end to end; connected with nylon cord.

He also led the US karate team to a world championship, at least according to motivational speaker services that still hawk his services (despite the fact that he has passed away).

I've trained with them for almost 40 years and I am proficient with them, but I still think they are silly for a weapon. A stick, or a pair of sticks, (Arnis, Escrima, etc) is/are a much better weapon and you can easily find something shaped like a stick if you need an improvised weapon.

However, once you are proficient with two pairs of nunchaku they can be a valuable training aid to improve your hand speed. However, sticks are better for that also. Again, just my opinion.
Where do you go to train fighting with sticks? I've always thought it'd be a useful skill precisely for the reason you mention - sticks are everywhere to be found.

Where do you go to train fighting with sticks? I've always thought it'd be a useful skill precisely for the reason you mention - sticks are everywhere to be found.

If you are near CT, check out the links SpaceCritter posted. Guro Ron K is the real deal. His store is the only place a buy sticks from because they last forever even with heavy abuse. I've also purchased some blades from him, also excellent quality.

I train FMA in Methuen, but its been on hold since the pandemic.

Water Street in Worcester. Not sure what they are doing with the Wuhan Flu going on though.

Here's your weapons:

The paragraph after (6) in MGL Chapter 269 Section 10 says:

"No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section."

Meaning if you have a MA LTC, which are issued under those sections, you will not be in violation of this law. IANAL and you might have a hard time with police on this.

Yeah....I don't think that I've ever seen that spin. Of course, I also am not a lawyer. Perhaps a member with JD after their name will comment.

I will say, that if 1337's interpretation is correct, there would be no need for Worcester to have a blade-length ordinance, with an exemption for LTC holders.[thinking]

The paragraph after (6) in MGL Chapter 269 Section 10 says:

"No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section."

Meaning if you have a MA LTC, which are issued under those sections, you will not be in violation of this law. IANAL and you might have a hard time with police on this.

If you read that clause literally, it means you can carry a machine gun without being subject to the penalties in subsection (c). But as far as I can tell there have been no rulings on the issue.

Back
Top Bottom