Number of Gitmo prisoners on hunger strike doubles

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- The number of detainees on hunger strike at the U.S. military detention facility in Guantanamo Bay has more than doubled in the last week to 84, an official said Thursday.

Forty-six detainees joined 38 already on strike on December 25, said Guantanamo spokesman Lt. Col. Jeremy Martin, who added that the number of fasting detainees "routinely fluctuates."

"On the anniversary of September 11, the number of strikers spiked to 131," Martin said. "They steadily decreased over the weeks and months until December 25, and then they spiked again."

Thirty-two fasting detainees were being fed through tubes, either through their noses or intravenously.

The military classifies detainees who miss nine straight meals as being on a hunger strike. The current fast began August 8.

Many of the detainees at Guantanamo have been held more than 3 1/2 years without charge or access to lawyers. Most were captured in Afghanistan and are suspected of ties to al Qaeda or the ousted Taliban regime that sheltered the terrorist network.

This really breaks my heart. I like how the writer victimizes the prisoners in the last sentence. "Suspected" ties to al Qaeda or the Taliban? The minimum of these so called "ties" are communications with either or both groups. And if I recall our President did warn the world that if you associate with known terrorists you will pay the price. I can't say I feel sorry for them.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/12/29/gitmo.hunger.ap.ap/index.html

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- The number of detainees on hunger strike at the U.S. military detention facility in Guantanamo Bay has more than doubled in the last week to 84, an official said Thursday.

Forty-six detainees joined 38 already on strike on December 25, said Guantanamo spokesman Lt. Col. Jeremy Martin, who added that the number of fasting detainees "routinely fluctuates."

"On the anniversary of September 11, the number of strikers spiked to 131," Martin said. "They steadily decreased over the weeks and months until December 25, and then they spiked again."

Thirty-two fasting detainees were being fed through tubes, either through their noses or intravenously.

The military classifies detainees who miss nine straight meals as being on a hunger strike. The current fast began August 8.

Many of the detainees at Guantanamo have been held more than 3 1/2 years without charge or access to lawyers. Most were captured in Afghanistan and are suspected of ties to al Qaeda or the ousted Taliban regime that sheltered the terrorist network.

This really breaks my heart. I like how the writer victimizes the prisoners in the last sentence. "Suspected" ties to al Qaeda or the Taliban? The minimum of these so called "ties" are communications with either or both groups. And if I recall our President did warn the world that if you associate with known terrorists you will pay the price. I can't say I feel sorry for them.

derek said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
pleeure.gif
Screw them.

derek said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
pleeure.gif
Screw them.

derek said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
pleeure.gif
Screw them.

What I don't understand is why we have to feed them forcefully?

If they don't want to eat and then die as a result, then let them. We put the peauntbutter sandwich in front of them. If they don't eat them, who are we to force it down their throat?

If they don't want to eat and then die as a result, then let them. We put the peauntbutter sandwich in front of them. If they don't eat them, who are we to force it down their throat?

When I started to read this I smiled and thought "wow, I can feel my tax bill going down!! More of them should do this!"

Then I read:

and my hopes were dashed... what a waste of tax $$.

Matt

When I started to read this I smiled and thought "wow, I can feel my tax bill going down!! More of them should do this!"

Then I read:

Matt

Then I read:

Matt

Back
Top Bottom