• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA vs GOAL

I agree about the grass roots type stuff,but GOAL's stated 'goal' is education,not lobbying.They send letters and sponsor bills.

If they do anything,they should be knee deep in the Ragsdale case.He was found not at fault and the CLEO of Shrewsbury is denying him a permit.This case is exclusive to the insane MA gun restrictions and licensing..I have not read one thing about GOAL participating in this case,or the NRA for that matter.

Seriously,what do they do with the money that is donated besides a full time staff ? Shit,I would feel better if I knew they were going around padding the pockets at Beacon Hll in an effort to see things 'our way'.Kind of like what the NRA does.

Last edited:
What Does GOAL Do?

Well, here is their rundown of their activities. I get tired just reading about what they do. If you were a GOAL member you might have known this.

What Does GOAL Do?

Gun Owners' Action League is a grassroots organization whose members actively participate in the many facets of protecting our Second Amendment rights and passing on the shooting sports traditions.

No one has any reason to fear the possession of firearms by law-abiding citizens. GOAL publishes materials to bring the truth about gun ownership to the public, the legislature and our members. We also promote public education and junior shooting opportunities through our 501(c)3 sister organization, The GOAL Foundation and pro-rights candidates for office through the Gun Owners' Political Action Committee (GO-PAC).

Our GOAL is Education

We believe that safe firearms handling lessons serve as a core element of preserving the public safety. Our staff provides quality training for individuals interested in the proper use, handing and safe storage of firearms. Through The GOAL Foundation, we provide courses to new shooters, as well as certification training for those wishing to become firearms instructors. We also provide referrals to instructors around the state.

Youth Education

GOAL firmly believes that the future of our nation depends on our youth. If we don't want our children to think of guns as toys, or worse yet, as a way to solve arguments, we must education them. Therefore, we promote the National Rifle Association's award-winning Eddie Eagle® GunSafe program, which teaches children and important safety message.

Our members and activists have been successful at getting the program into elementary schools across the state to teach the life saving message to young children. If they find a gun, "STOP! Don't Touch! Leave the area. Tell an adult."

For older youth, GOAL offers firearms training through its many club affiliates across the state. Junior rifle, pistol and shotgun programs teach young people firearms safety, discipline and responsibility.

GOAL staff members have traveled to schools to speak teach student not only about firearms safety, but also about the rights and responsibilities of firearms ownership.

Gun Owners' Action League is also the primary sponsor of the Massachusetts Junior Conservation Camp. Annually, more than 100 teens attend the camp and learn important life long lessons about wildlife, hunter safety, firearm safety and the importance of conservation in our communities.

Gun Owner Education

Due to the overwhelming number of local, state and federal firearms laws, GOAL is a highly respected source of information for the state's licensed gun owners. Our popular Massachusetts Firearms Law book is currently in its eighteenth printing.

We have researched and created fact sheets on subjects ranging from the licensing structure of Massachusetts gun laws to the transportation and storage requirements for gun owners in the Commonwealth.

Our monthly newspaper, The Outdoor Message, informs current members of pending legislation on both the state and national levels.

Through The GOAL Foundation, we have debuted several courses for current gun owners and sportsmen and women on intermediate topics or introductions to new shooting sports and disciplines. For the full range of these seminars, check out the training and education schedule.

Voter Education

GOAL members often take an active interest in the legislative and political processes. We provide our members with information on candidates for office and their views on firearms related policies. As a public service, we also offer candidates the opportunity to make a statement to our members through The Outdoor Message.

Public Education

In addition to the wealth of information we provide through our website and other means of communication, we often sponsor public outreach and education events such as the Women on Target® program and Firearm Safety and Education Days.

GOAL also maintains a library of books, pamphlets and fact sheets concerning firearms issues and history. A collection of information videos is available for loan to civic groups and clubs.

The staff of Gun Owners' Action League is ready to address Rotary, Kiwanis, and Lions Clubs, as well as Chambers of Commerce, veterans' groups, scout troops, schools and sportsmen's clubs on all aspects of sportsmen's and firearms related issues.

Legislative Action

GOAL employs a register lobbyist who maintains a close watch on firearms and sporting related legislation pending before the Massachusetts General Court. GOAL offers testimony at public hearings and communicates our position in writing to the members of the legislature. GOAL sponsors bills each legislative session to make necessary improvements to our state's firearms laws.

Bring the mail that you are redy to throw out to work and tac it to the company peg board, we just might get one more NRA member on our side.

Works pretty cool, actually. We have more than a few gun owners, and I think the majority of our staff are gun-friendly. My boss even let me build a firing line outside my cube for the Airsoft guns, and a crowd of us would often go out back during lunch and plink at cans in the woods.

I am a member of the NRA but I am not happy overall as they are too willing to make concessions to the gun grabbers. They fought against the DC case going to the supreme court, and they got in bed with the gun grabbers on tightening up background checks following Virginia Tech instead of fighting for improved CCW.

I still send them money every quarter (easy-pay life member subscription) and I believe the good work they do outweighs the things I am unhappy with.

IMHO:

For Mass residents it is first most important to belong to GOAL, then NRA.
The other national groups like JPFO and GOA are fine to belong to in addition but not an alternative. AFAIK they dont actually get much done but they serve thier purpose by carrying the banner of being the "extreme gun rights activists"

I left ~4 GOAL applications on the bar counter when I got there today. Never connected with anyone wrt GOAL apps, but hopefully someone took one or more to sign up.

GOAL trains some of the finest NRA Instructors in the state, and provides unflagging support to the junior small bore rifle team.

They tell me the Art of Concealed Carry class is also hugely popular.

Darius

GOAL trains some of the finest NRA Instructors in the state, and provides unflagging support to the junior small bore rifle team.

They tell me the Art of Concealed Carry class is also hugely popular.

Darius

Counselor, you need to put a full disclaimer on those statements! [laugh2]

C-X is one of the GOAL instructors and teaches the "Art of Concealed Carry" with Jon Green. They do an excellent job teaching this class, stated from personal experience. [wink]

I sent my money and application to GOAL about a month or so ago. Do they send a membership package back in the mail? I'm got one email notice (the License Fee Violation one) from them but nothing else since.

Not sure as my Wife joined as a "Family Life Member" (I've been a Life Member for many years) back in September (gun show) and she has yet to receive anything. I get the Outdoor Message and looked at the November one just to see if it had both our names on it and nope. One of these days, I'll ask when I call there . . . if I think of it at the time.

The other national groups like JPFO and GOA are fine to belong to in addition but not an alternative.

I disagree. I would (and do) send GOA (not GOAL but GOA) my money long before the NRA. I'm sorry but they (NRA) just does too much crap (spam and BS) and even backed a few anti laws for me to support them.

GOA is absolutely an alternative to NRA
(But yeah, on a state level you should also join GOAL)

Edit: Here's just one reason you should send your money to GOA instead of NRA
http://www.gunowners.org/a100407.htm

Last edited:
To UNSUBSCRIBE from any NRA e-mails you are sent, just scroll to the bottom of the e-mail and click on the link to unsubscribe. That should do it for you.
Best Regards.

To read what NRA does to advocate/protect our RKBA subscribe to the NRA monthly magazine "First Freedom" and register for the e-mail alerts to keep informed

go to:

http://www.nraila.org/

Issues

.50 Caliber Rifles
"Micro-stamping"
Ammunition
Politics
"Assault Weapons" & Semi-Autos
Preemption Laws
Emergency Powers Laws
Pro-Gun Groups & Anti-Gun Groups
Background Checks/ NICS
Range Protection
Ballistic "Fingerprinting" (Registration)
Reckless Lawsuits
Campaign Finance "Reform" Registration & Licensing
Crime & Criminal Justice
Right-To-Carry
Firearm Safety/Kids & Guns
Second Amendment/Right To Arms
Gun Shows
Self Defense/Castle Doctrine
Handguns "
Smart" Guns/Personalized Firearms
Hunting/Conservation
Workers Protection and Private Property
International/UN Gun Control Issues

[The NRA has an installment program were as you can send them $25.00 now and they will send you a quartely statement until your paid up. It is their "EPL" easy pay life program. My wife & I became life members this way. It's the best way to go. Check out the "NRA" on the web site and sign up. If you have already paid in to it for this year they will apply that amount towards the life membership. Good luck!

Alright, you guys have guilted me into it. I'll re-up with the NRA, and sign up for GOAL.

I'm gonna see about the spam thing. I don't mind the rallying cries, but when I get 4 envelopes a week that are nothing more than resubscription packages when I still have 8 months left on my yearly, it kinda cheeses me off. My mailbox is very VERY tiny.

Wish I had enough cash on hand to just get a lifetime membership.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent my money and application to GOAL about a month or so ago. Do they send a membership package back in the mail? I'm got one email notice (the License Fee Violation one) from them but nothing else since.

Coincidentally, I just got my membership package in the mail today!

Alright, you guys have guilted me into it. I'll re-up with the NRA, and sign up for GOAL.

I'm gonna see about the spam thing. I don't mind the rallying cries, but when I get 4 envelopes a week that are nothing more than resubscription packages when I still have 8 months left on my yearly, it kinda cheeses me off. My mailbox is very VERY tiny.

Wish I had enough cash on hand to just get a lifetime membership.

Good. This is a no brainer. If you go to http://www.insureyourgunrights.com/ you can rejoin the NRA for $25.00 instead of $35.00. GOAL ($25.00) and the NCL ($25.00 individual, $150.00 club) among other clubs work together in fighting off harmful legislation and file pro-gun legislation. Your money isn't being wasted - trust me. We work our collective asses off 24x7.

Good. This is a no brainer. If you go to http://www.insureyourgunrights.com/ you can rejoin the NRA for $25.00 instead of $35.00. GOAL ($25.00) and the NCL ($25.00 individual, $150.00 club) among other clubs work together in fighting off harmful legislation and file pro-gun legislation. Your money isn't being wasted - trust me. We work our collective asses off 24x7.

I just re-uped for the EPL plan. Thanks, everyone, for the info and encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom