NRA Instructors And Conceal Carry in Boston

I've read that NRA licensed instructors living in Boston are allowed to conceal carry.

Is this true?
Anyone here fall into that category?

IM sure if they are given a license through the city they can, but no, I dont think just being an instructor gives them easy access to the permit.

1) A person can not carry under an Instructor's certification
2) I have seen cities & towns (in the past) who still give restricted target licenses to people who are FFL holders

Some cities & towns are horrible with regards to giving out LTC's

Boston "is" one of them!

I've read that NRA licensed instructors living in Boston are allowed to conceal carry.

Is this true?
Anyone here fall into that category?

I have never heard of this. It's possible that Boston may be slightly more likely to issue unrestricted to someone with instructor experience/credentials, but I wouldn't bet on it.

To issue certificates to students, you need a Mass State Police Instructor cert. To get that, you need to get your (for example) NRA cert, have a valid LTC (or FID if you're just going to do long gun courses) and pay $50.

I have heard that some PDs will issue a Class A to "legitimate" instructors when others can't get them, but that's anecdotal.

All the NRA Instructor cert does in Mass as a practical matter is let you get a nice patch. There are other hoops and such to deal with as noted above, before you can actually do much.

It worked in my town, but that is in western mass. I could only get target and hunting on my class A but after spending $30 in my town, a red town, I was upgraded to no restrictions. I understand it is different than the abortion example, but when niter viewed, I told the chief that keeping my permit as is restricts me from carrying out my business. He looked pissed when I mentioned the business aspect.

I think the question is:

Does Boston issue unrestricted LTC's to NRA certified instructors? My understanding is YES.

Mike-Mike and bill o have the correct answers. Ignore the others.

All of the instructors I know living in Boston have unrestricted LTCs. They even issued an unrestricted LTC recently to someone who was an NRA instructor but who hasn't had a MA license since 98 and who hasn't yet applied for their MA BFS instructor cert.

Boston is what it is, but it is FAR from the worst town out there. Many, many. Cities and towns are far worse.

Yes I believe so, as long as your following the special Boston fire arms laws like I no hi cap mags, your ok in Boston to cc

Yes it is OK to CCW with an unrestricted LTC-A from any city/town in MA (or the rare MA NR unrestricted LTC-A).

The rest of your info is dead wrong! I suggest you do some studying up on the laws to learn what is and what isn't legal and where/when.

Yes I believe so, as long as your following the special Boston fire arms laws like I no hi cap mags, your ok in Boston to cc

Can you cite that law for us?

ETA: actually, please don't cite the law you're thinking about. It'll just add confusion. The Boston AWB only addresses rifle magazines, not pistol. A common misconception.

Last edited:
Yes it is OK to CCW with an unrestricted LTC-A from any city/town in MA (or the rare MA NR unrestricted LTC-A).

len.... what is the difference between the two ltc's that you have listed here? i dont see any difference myself. my license just says restrictions none.

bob

I have a co-worker that just received an unrestricted LTC in Boston. He also is an instructor but had to go through the complete application process like everyone else.

The rest of your info is dead wrong! I suggest you do some studying up on the laws to learn what is and what isn't legal and where/when.

Im sure i had seen some crazy law about hi cap mags in the boston area but i was wrong about it pertaining to hand guns. i do read up on laws but there is only so much i can take and concentrate on what pertains to my situation. i also avoid boston like the plague [smile]

Last edited:
Can you cite that law for us?

ETA: actually, please don't cite the law you're thinking about. It'll just add confusion. The Boston AWB only addresses rifle magazines, not pistol. A common misconception.

Ya i know i had seen somthing about boston but as always there is so many laws to keep up with i mixed this law in with the wrong situation.

One of the students in my NRA instructor class that I took a year ago claimed he got an unrestricted LTC in Boston before he took the class. He said he just went in with documentation as to his past shooting experience, competition, etc and vuala. This guy looked crazy too, glock perfection hat and full 5.11 get-up.

Mike

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

Incredibly confusing. Len, is this still in effect?

Yes, it's still in effect and will never be removed unless some Federal Court orders it so. In fact last year they were looking to add all .50 cal guns to that forbidden list, but failed . . . at least for now.

According to Chief Glidden and his discussion with Boston's City Counsel (lawyer) . . . City Counsel didn't believe it to be enforceable, didn't know of any prosecution for it, and the belief is that it only effects RESIDENTS of Boston, not visitors or those passing thru the City.

Yes, it's still in effect and will never be removed unless some Federal Court orders it so. In fact last year they were looking to add all .50 cal guns to that forbidden list, but failed . . . at least for now.

According to Chief Glidden and his discussion with Boston's City Counsel (lawyer) . . . City Counsel didn't believe it to be enforceable, didn't know of any prosecution for it, and the belief is that it only effects RESIDENTS of Boston, not visitors or those passing thru the City.

And a court can't really strike down the law unless they try to enforce it.

Not sure if this works with Boston but some of the red towns you can use that, constructively, so you fit into their "box" of who is allowed to carry.

-Mike

KnuckleDragger, I'm a current instructor living in Boston, and my LTC A has restrictions on it. Do you have contact info for any of those current instructors that were issued unrestricted Class A's? I'm just looking for tips on going about requesting the removal of my restrictions. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom