Not renewing my C+R

Stupid Questions:

1: C&R is just for Firearms 50+ years old ? That would otherwise be illegal ?

2: C&R helps buying Ammo - or not ?

3: C&R does not allow a LTC to carry 50+ year-old Handguns CC that are not on THE MA LIST. Right ?

4: Basically a C&R is for otherwise illegal Firearms, to be stored at home, unloaded, locked. And fired at Ranges. No CC, no Hunting. Right ?

Stupid Questions:

Not stupid if you do not know the answers.

1: C&R is just for Firearms 50+ years old ? That would otherwise be illegal ?

It has nothing to with legal or illegal. If it is illegal, a C&R will not help make it legal. A C&R FFL allows you to acquire C&R guns across state lines. Say you live in ME and you drive down to SC. While there you come across a nice P38 at a gun store. You buy, give them a signed copy of your C&R and you walk out the door with the gun. With out the C&R, you will have to have that gun shipped to an FFL in ME who will then transfer it to you. You can also have C&R guns shipped directly to you from other dealers, wholesellers or collectors who are out of state. If you are buying a C&R gun in your own state, you can give the dealer your C&R and he does not have to do a ATF form or background check.

2: C&R helps buying Ammo - or not ?

No... although some places may give you a discount with it.

3: C&R does not allow a LTC to carry 50+ year-old Handguns CC that are not on THE MA LIST. Right ?

It has nothing to do with LTC.

4: Basically a C&R is for otherwise illegal Firearms, to be stored at home, unloaded, locked. And fired at Ranges. No CC, no Hunting. Right ?

See the answer to the first question. That is all it does.

Last edited:
O-Boy. Still confused.

Do C&R Handguns have to be on THE MA LIST ?

The MA list(s) are *only* about what *dealers* can *transfer* to a non FFL.

Sorry about the excessive asterisks, but all three of those words are critical.

The lists have nothing whatsoever to do with what an individual can own, possess, buy, or sell.

Anything that's a C&R is going to be old enough that any AWB stuff doesn't matter (pre-ban by 35+ years at least)

The MA list(s) are *only* about what *dealers* can *transfer* to a non FFL.

Sorry about the excessive asterisks, but all three of those words are critical.

The lists have nothing whatsoever to do with what an individual can own, possess, buy, or sell.

Anything that's a C&R is going to be old enough that any AWB stuff doesn't matter (pre-ban by 35+ years at least)

Thanks all.

I have much to learn.

The list only applies to dealer (FFL 01) transfers, it has nothing to do with what you can and can not carry. If you have an 03 C&R MA the list doesn't matter as long as the handgun in question is on the ATF's C&R list. The list does not apply to LTC holders, C&R or not. It applies to FFL dealers who are licensed in MA. If a dealer sells you a gun not on the list, HE faces the penalty, not you.

O-Boy. Still confused.

Do C&R Handguns have to be on THE MA LIST ?

Back
Top Bottom