Not renewing my C+R

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
I have had my C+R for over 30 years. I have had three audits over the years which went great. The agent was polite, went thru my bound book and then spent a great deal of time just asking questions about some of the history of some of my more collectable items. Last year I used my C+R FFL 0 times. I may let this one expire and not renew.
Any others out there feeling the same way? I know for folks who have just received their C+R FFL this may seem not appropriate since they are just starting out.
Thoughts????

I don't really do much with it anymore and would probably let it expire if it were not a prerequisite for my MG license.

A C&R gets you discounts at a bunch of places. Mine pays for itself in those discounts alone.

(don't let it drop)

I let it lapse after I used it for a couple years. Discounts were not that enticing for me to keep it. I do miss browsing the C&R deals out there but my bank account is happier.

I have had my C+R for over 30 years. I have had three audits over the years which went great. The agent was polite, went thru my bound book and then spent a great deal of time just asking questions about some of the history of some of my more collectable items. Last year I used my C+R FFL 0 times. I may let this one expire and not renew.
Any others out there feeling the same way? I know for folks who have just received their C+R FFL this may seem not appropriate since they are just starting out.
Thoughts????

It comes in handy with dealing with C&R specific dealers,cut through all the crap.

You guys will sign up for audits to save a few bucks. Sheesh they don't need mandatory gun registration just offer an ammo gift card for every gun registered. Cheaper and more effective then any mandatory scheme.[grenade]

I don't buy as many milsurps as in years past, but I still value my C&R License. I agree that the dealer discounts are decent, but the biggest benefit is avoiding FFL fees when I get something sent to me. I probably save $200-300 a year in fees. I also enjoy the ability to buy C&R eligible handguns when I am driving through different states (or at gun shows).

I much rather deal with a simple audit over waiting for a "phone in" and filling out that BS form....if you are worried about having to Deal with the Man then and FFL isn't for you.

I much rather deal with a simple audit over waiting for a "phone in" and filling out that BS form....if you are worried about having to Deal with the Man then and FFL isn't for you.

Cool. To each their own. But for folks to complain about gun control schemes and then sign up for more accountability to save a few bucks seems a bit odd.

I've had mine since '05 and haven't been audited yet. I wouldn't really care if I were to be picked though. All my paperwork is in order.

I've saved a good chunk of money ordering through Brownells, Numrich, Wolff etc... I haven't been buying much in the last year due to my project car taking up lots of my money and time, but I did buy a pretty cool C&R pistol through a private seller recently. Even if some law were to be enacted where any transfer of any gun must go through an FFL01, I'd probably still keep my C&R.

I let mine run out in 2008. I have a LGS who only charges $20 per transfer. That has maybe happened 5 times since 2008. I buy most of my stuff locally. I figured when O got elected that it would only get worse for us gun owners. While I kept my book in order and up to date, I did not see the value of putting myself in a position where a mistake could cost me more in lawyer fees than what I would spend for transfers. Back in the 90's when all kinds of milsurps were coming in from Eastern Europe and you could buy from wholesalers it made great sense. But now, I figured I would just play it safe and not be in a position where I have to let the ATF in my house so they can search my book for any mistakes I might have made.

Let it expire. I believe there is a good chance that the friendly ATF agent days are coming to an end.

Last edited:
Cool. To each their own. But for folks to complain about gun control schemes and then sign up for more accountability to save a few bucks seems a bit odd.

Have you ever had a C&R or read the rules that pertain to FFL03 license holders??? As reading yours posts its seems as if you havent a clue, but to each his own.

50BMG, My FFL03 is up in April and I will not be renewing. I cant imagine very friendly things are coming for any FFL holder and current events have made me put other courses of action into motion.

I read most of the regular FFL rules years back when my brother briefly had one. I dont know how much better the c& r oneis.

I read most of the regular FFL rules years back when my brother briefly had one. I dont know how much better the c& r oneis.

Yeah,, I can tell..... A few basics, your bound book only stays with you as long as you have your FFL03 ( unlike other FFL's ) Your not ever required to let an ATF agent into your house of see your collection/safe ect An audit is an audit only of your bound book and can be done away from home ( or even on the phone if I remember correctly ) A FFL03 is not at all like a FFL01

Your essentially "registering" every firearm you;ve ever purchased through a dealer regardless.... your name is in the books and on the 4473. A FFL03 just skips the middle man and the fee's involved ( Ive saved over $600 in transfer fee's olone in the 3 years ive hade my FFL03 )

Last edited:
I've had mine since October of '08 and am a year into my first renewal. As I only collect C&R pieces, it seems reasonable to have one now. For example last year I was looking a P38 in my local shop that was brought in. He said he could not transfer one from out of state to me; as this one was brought in, it was MA legal. Don't know if that's true or not, it's not a hi-cap pistol. But anyways I can have one shipped directly to me with the FFL3. I have also saved about $100 through FFL3 discounts.

MS

no your just a prick [laugh][wink]

joking buddy!

[rofl] I deserve that after selling a lefty a right handed AR!

No worries man. I can take an internet beating. Hope stuff gets better for you.

Yeah, but we try to leave the "internet beatings" to the rest of the NES forums..... Its depressing reading thread after thread of negative infighting, bickering, and anger in the main threads sometimes. The Mil-Surp area is almost always just about enjoying collecting

[rofl] I deserve that after selling a lefty a right handed AR!

It's not shooting left handed it is the burning powder in my eyes!!!
Hey you repped me! +1. I need to call you that more often.

back on topic, i just sent the paperwork in with check 12/20//12. check has not cleared yet. concern?
i keep wanting to throw it away. it costs me way too much. We say we save money on transfer fees, but we would not be buying so many if we didn't have it!

3510937289_2353d3dfe8.jpg

An audit is an audit only of your bound book and can be done away from home ( or even on the phone if I remember correctly ).

My knowledge is over 4 years old now DRB, but my understanding when I had a C&R was that the ATF could demand to see yours guns as well as your book if they wanted. I am too tired to try and look it up so are you sure they cannot demand to see the guns during an audit?

They could not demand to see them in your home, but you could bring them to the ATF for them to inspect. I know for some of the members of this board, that would require renting a moving van and a crew to get their collection to the ATF. :)

Back
Top Bottom