Not a AR person so excuse the silly question.

my summary is simpler.
you can shoot steel tula with no issues from any 5.56 gun. like a tavor.
for _some_ .223 wylde the lacquer of steel shells may make it stuck when chamber is hot. i had it on my larue twice and do not shoot steel from it no more. it NEVER got stuck in the tavor.
ymmv.
Of course a Tavor aficionado would claim that’s because the Tavor is a long stoke piston (just like an M1 and an AK) and therefore has much better extraction power.:D

It's not an SBR.
It's a 16" barrel.
12" handguard.

Note the .223 Wylde chamber. It's a "target" barrel, not suited for .556.
Wylde will handle 5.56 just fine along with 80 gn bullets but need to be chambered by hand 80gn is to long for AR mag

Genderfluid Ammofluid
FTFY.

To be honest I'm surprised how many people in this thread are putting ".556" - which is a drastically different measurement than 5.56, which seems a bigger gaffe than a new-to-ARs person not knowing 12'' handguards vs. barrel length (understandable when starting out).
Word.

First build? 👍🏻👍🏻
first-time-james-franco.gif

Note the .223 Wylde chamber. It's a "target" barrel, not suited for .556.

Horse Hockey.

Both my ARs are chambered in .223 Wylde, 1:8 twist. One is 14.5" + comp = 16.1", the other is 20". Both handle .223 and 5.56 perfectly. 62gr 5.56 M855 is particularly accurate.

Horse Hockey.

Both my ARs are chambered in .223 Wylde, 1:8 twist. One is 14.5" + comp = 16.1", the other is 20". Both handle .223 and 5.56 perfectly. 62gr 5.56 M855 is particularly accurate.
Agree, I've got a few myself.

my summary is simpler.
you can shoot steel tula with no issues from any 5.56 gun. like a tavor.
for _some_ .223 wylde the lacquer of steel shells may make it stuck when chamber is hot. i had it on my larue twice and do not shoot steel from it no more. it NEVER got stuck in the tavor.
ymmv.
i had repeated tula expended cartridges stuck in my 5.56 in a range session, first time in 6-7 years running this gun.

not a person to ask questions or go to utube, i try to figure things out on my own first and seek help when i can't solve it.

when i do carpentry, my motto is "cut 3 times, if it doesn't fit, measure"

this one was easy. i always cleaned the bore, but never ran a 9mm brush in the chamber. lesson learned

To be honest I'm surprised how many people in this thread are putting ".556" - which is a drastically different measurement than 5.56, which seems a bigger gaffe than a new-to-ARs person not knowing 12'' handguards vs. barrel length (understandable when starting out).

The majority here will know .556 really means 5.56 but in a thread about measurements, probably best to be precise.
Damn, now I have to go pull those reloads!

i had repeated tula expended cartridges stuck in my 5.56 in a range session, first time in 6-7 years running this gun.
go figure, dunno. even with perfectly clean chamber i get steel shells stuck there sometimes if i load 30rd pre-ban mag and start hammering it, then pause.
it is really happening very consistently if i shoot at least 20 or so rapid shots at steel, and then let it next round sit for a minute or 2. gets stuck there, almost always.

but never in a tavor. tavor rules. :)

Said no one ever.
🤣 yeah if you think 4 MOA is accurate. So many people on NES swear by M855 for some weird reason. I guess if you want ammo for STHF and penetrating power etc, then yes go for M855.
There’s a freakin steel core jammed in there which isn’t easy to line up/balance with the lead base and copper jacket.

Literally ANY 223/5.56 steel or brass cased ammo shot better than M855 in my experience.

Said no one ever.

🤣 yeah if you think 4 MOA is accurate. So many people on NES swear by M855 for some weird reason. I guess if you want ammo for STHF and penetrating power etc, then yes go for M855.
There’s a freakin steel core jammed in there which isn’t easy to line up/balance with the lead base and copper jacket.

Literally ANY 223/5.56 steel or brass cased ammo shot better than M855 in my experience.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGPdVpH23KI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXZwrv3LZIs

Last edited:
go figure, dunno. even with perfectly clean chamber i get steel shells stuck there sometimes if i load 30rd pre-ban mag and start hammering it, then pause.
it is really happening very consistently if i shoot at least 20 or so rapid shots at steel, and then let it next round sit for a minute or 2. gets stuck there, almost always.

but never in a tavor. tavor rules. :)

rough cut chamber or something?

This is why I load M855 every 5th round in mag after 4 M193... Like tracers; only better... [rofl]

Maybe need to patent some kind of maglev bullet mold?

(Not that we own a single round of 855[shocked]).

They have a maximum length dont they ? Or is a 20" barrel and pistol brace still a.pistol ?
Federally? Not that I know of.

18 U.S. Code § 921
(29)The term “handgun” means—
(A)a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B)any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

In MA, a 16" barrel becomes a rifle, regardless of if it's "designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder."

The poster above was warning that a 10.5" barrel with a 5.6" muzzle device will have an assembled length of approx. 15.6" and thus be a SBR.

Federally? Not that I know of.

18 U.S. Code § 921
(29)The term “handgun” means—
(A)a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B)any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

In MA, a 16" barrel becomes a rifle, regardless of if it's "designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder."

The poster above was warning that a 10.5" barrel with a 5.6" muzzle device will have an assembled length of approx. 15.6" and thus be a SBR.

There is an ATF guideline that says something to the affect, as I remember it, oal 26 inches - but this is related to pistol braces. They were trying to say if you build a really long braced pistol it's not a pistol and even have put stuff in that says depending on how the optics are setup, maybe it's not a pistol.

That could be in a draft or published, I can’t keep up but was measuring my last pistol to stay under some threshold.

But in short yes max length has been brought up due to pistol braces specifically. Has anyone been "busted" for it? Probably not.

There is an ATF guideline that says something to the affect, as I remember it, oal 26 inches - but this is related to pistol braces. They were trying to say if you build a really long braced pistol it's not a pistol and even have put stuff in that says depending on how the optics are setup, maybe it's not a pistol.

That could be in a draft or published, I can’t keep up but was measuring my last pistol to stay under some threshold.

But in short yes max length has been brought up due to pistol braces specifically. Has anyone been "busted" for it? Probably not.

Back
Top Bottom