• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not a AR person so excuse the silly question.

thanks for the answers. Complete tag

I see I was missing the comma after “BRL” causing me to misread it

Attachments

• 20731B29-3778-432B-B9C2-E003879B2694.jpeg
    20731B29-3778-432B-B9C2-E003879B2694.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 2
Measure the barrel length.

Stick a piece of wire or cleaning rod down the barrel to the closed bolt face and measure it.

Or open it up and post a picture of the actual upper.

From the label it appears to be what is posted in post 2 above.

Note the .223 Wylde chamber. It's a "target" barrel, not suited for .556.

Your statement is not true. You can shoot 5.56x45 in a Wylde chamber with no issues.

What is 223 Wylde?​

223 Wylde is a hybrid rifle chamber that allows you to shoot both .223 and 5.56×45 ammo from the firearm safely. Technically speaking, a 223 Wylde rifle has identical chamber angling as a 5.56×45 rifle but also brings a .2240 freebore diameter. Freebore is the space between a rifle’s chamber and the rifling in the barrel. Tighter freebore size in a 223 Wylde rifle allows you to shoot .223 ammo with relatively strong accuracy from it than a 5.56×45 rifle.

What is 223 Wylde? How Does it Compare to 5.56?

Your statement is not true. You can shoot 5.56x45 in a Wylde chamber with no issues.

What is 223 Wylde?​

223 Wylde is a hybrid rifle chamber that allows you to shoot both .223 and 5.56×45 ammo from the firearm safely. Technically speaking, a 223 Wylde rifle has identical chamber angling as a 5.56×45 rifle but also brings a .2240 freebore diameter. Freebore is the space between a rifle’s chamber and the rifling in the barrel. Tighter freebore size in a 223 Wylde rifle allows you to shoot .223 ammo with relatively strong accuracy from it than a 5.56×45 rifle.

What is 223 Wylde? How Does it Compare to 5.56?

I stand corrected, thank you.

thanks for the answers. Complete tag

I see I was missing the comma after “BRL” causing me to misread it
a very stupid label indeed. i understand it may confuse people.
still it says a 16" barrel.

you can go with even a 14" barrel on some builds, when you pin/weld a muzzle break that will be usually around 2.5" long. the final construct needs to be 16"+.

.223 wylde is a cis-chamber

my summary is simpler.
you can shoot steel tula with no issues from any 5.56 gun. like a tavor.
for _some_ .223 wylde the lacquer of steel shells may make it stuck when chamber is hot. i had it on my larue twice and do not shoot steel from it no more. it NEVER got stuck in the tavor.
ymmv.

You could buy a 10.5" barrel and weld on a 5.6" ( .1 + for good measure ) muzzle device and still not be an sbr.
anything shorter than 14" in .223 shoots like shit and runs like shit (unsuppressed), usually. or to be more polite - 'may take an extra effort to make it cycle reliably'.
a 16"+ barrel needs 0 effort, usually, to make it work, with a stock non-adjustable gas block.

I'm pretty familiar with Aero so that label is obvious but I've even had an FFL who specializes in MSR insinuate my 16 inch mini 14 was an SBR after misreading the "13 inch" pull.

As far as the Wylde - everything is usually some compromise, I think reliability would be the potential issue and it could be the same even for a high precision 5.56 barrel. In practical terms you probably never experience it though.

anything shorter than 14" in .223 shoots like shit and runs like shit (unsuppressed), usually. or to be more polite - 'may take an extra effort to make it cycle reliably'.
a 16"+ barrel needs 0 effort, usually, to make it work, with a stock non-adjustable gas block.
This is sort of true if you pretend the world didn't learn about the proper gas length for the application and AGBs were never invented. Also, you just use a single gas port size and never optimize it to your application. I won't go into buffer weights and springs because I do agree they have less of an impact.

I don’t own or really know much about the .223 Wylde, but isn’t it just another name, read: sales pitch, for the typical “Multi Cal” 5.56/.223 rifles?

I don’t own or really know much about the .223 Wylde, but isn’t it just another name, read: sales pitch, for the typical “Multi Cal” 5.56/.223 rifles?
just read the pew-pew link i sent, it has pictures.
:)

That upper is good to go.

.223 Wylde shoots .223 and .556. There is a bunch you can read about it but it has something to do with .223 wylde being more tailored to .223

Some people love them. The other option would be get a .556 barrel that also shoots both but is more tailored to .556

To be honest I'm surprised how many people in this thread are putting ".556" - which is a drastically different measurement than 5.56, which seems a bigger gaffe than a new-to-ARs person not knowing 12'' handguards vs. barrel length (understandable when starting out).

The majority here will know .556 really means 5.56 but in a thread about measurements, probably best to be precise.

Back
Top Bottom