Northshore Firearms Middleton, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
SecondAmdFirst,

I'm just thinking out loud here. The dealer made $150 on the gun. That is short profit margins for something that is so expensive (and makes me wonder how these guys stay in business!).

It is a $2600 gun. They are working on about a 6% profit margin. I don't think guys in that price range fly off the shelves. I imagine there is a fair bit of time involved in keeping that in inventory and tying up their capital while trying to sell it. It is not a used gun, albeit new in box. I think your estimate of a $2400 resale value is in the high side. Me... I'm guessing it is closer to $2200... but that is just me.

What if they had offered you 70%... would that have satisfied you? I have a feeling the answer is no, but I'll let you speak for yourself. How about 80%? That is just shy of $2100. I'm thinking you would have gone for that amount. But again I don't want to speak on your behalf.

But if they pay you $2100, and can only resell for $2200 (my numbers) as it is used. it just is not worth them tying up their capital on an item that may sit there for a long time. I suspect they'd rather use that same capital to purchase four M&P9's or something comparable that will turn over quickly. In fact they may be able to sell the M&P's many times over during the same period that they hold your shotgun. Retail these days is about turning inventory quickly, 'cause in this business they are trying to survive on razor thin margins.

What if they had said to you we just can't buy it back from you. The offer we would make is very low, but it is what we can afford to do in cases like this. Would you have felt better? If you pushed them and asked, and they made the offer upon your insistence, might that have made a difference? Or what if they had suggested you try to sell it on NES instead? Or put it on consignment, where it is your money tied up rather than the store's money?

FYI I know what buyer's remorse feels like. Been there and done that. It ain't fun. It different industries with higher margins and bigger dollars a store is better able to swallow these types of customer issue. But in today's world it is just not so easy for them, or any small business.

Best,

Rich

Guys, yes, it is a situation of buyer's remorse....or just bad timing....no need to beat the dead horse there. The bottom line is after doing so much business, I just wanted them to work with me. I wasn't expecting them to lose money, just offer some option, be flexible, something. Instead I was told 60% was policy and that was it. THAT is my issue. I am being realistic that money will be lost on my end, I just don't think $1560 is helping out a good customer. This is a high end item, but they've told me they move a lot of these and inventories are low with the season. Like I said, my previous experiences were good with them and that is why I was so surprised at the line in the sand.

I have always had a great experience at NSF. With all due respect I don't think you can expect them to cover your buyer's remorse and/or change of heart. Getting treated right and expecting special treatment are two different things.

I hope voicing your opinion helped ease your remorse in someway. There have been lots of opinions posted here some agreeing with you, many but not all sympathetic, because we have all bought something at sometime, tried to return it and been unsatisfied with the results. I for one have had lots of transactions with NSF without ever an issue and support the entire group for their pleasant, courteous treatment everytime I walk in the door...even just to say hi and not spend a dime (which happens more often than not). No one can begrudge a business...whatever that business is...to making a profit and having policies that they adhere to in order to make that profit. This is small family run business and yes they could make exceptions to their "policies" if they felt they could reasonably deal with whatever it was...this time it appears Mike felt he couldn't reasonably handle it...laying out their cash for an indefinite period of time, hoping to re-sell it in lieu of a new one they already owned etc. Unless you are a blood relation (and even then I don't know [smile]) I don't think anyone can expect any special consideration when money and business are involved, good customer or not.

It sucks you are unhappy but I must compliment you on handling your "criticism of NSF" and the criticism of you by many members here in a calm, polite manner. This could have blown way out of proportion and been locked like an Eddie Coyle Cat thread! [wink] I hope you sell your Beretta and enjoy your Browning. One more reason I love this this forum, it allows the open give and take that everybody needs and enjoys.

Thanks Carguy, I appreciate your comments. The Beretta did end up getting sold. I never begrudged Mike a profit, I just wanted him to work with me in some way. Since it sold, that is in the past now.

I really like NSF, especially one gentleman there - slightly older with a deep voice and glasses. He is exceptional. I went in there for a speed loader and when I could not find one that fits, he actually tried out a few on a new gun (same model), insisted I get comfortable with it and then sold it to me. A low price item so I doubt he makes more than a couple of dollars on it. Very upfront with what they have and don't. Recently I was talking to them about a couple of models of guns and asked if I should just buy one, and trade it in for the other if I didn't like it. He strongly advised me against it saying I am throwing money away!! (BTW this is what FS said as well and I am sure this is what Collectors would say as well, so I am just so happy to have 3 really good stores in this area).

I'm new to gun ownership in Massachusetts. I had some experience rifle shooting with my friends in Maine and with my grandfather when he was alive. When I was sure my gun license was on it's way I decided to start shopping around. I planned out a couple of my days off to just explore the north shore and see what kind of gun stores I could rummage up. This was of course before I stumbled upon this fine website, by the way. By coincidence NorthShore Firearms was the first shop I visited. I would have to say that after visiting that shop I was spoiled. None of the other shops seemed to match the level of service and understanding I got from everyone I spoke to here. I am really not that knowledgeable in the gun community yet but they dealt with my ignorance tactfully and I left the place knowing more than when I entered. I tried to speak with everyone if only for a few moments and I got nothing but good first impressions.

Even after visiting several other shops that day no one else left as much of a good impression as this place did. I am buying my first gun through them and they will be my first stop any time I am looking for another.

I bought my first gun through this shop on Sunday and I couldn't have been more pleased with the service. They were a little busy when I got in but I really wanted to look at their safes before I spoke to them. There was a small snafu with them finding my rifle but I didn't really mind. I appreciated them holding onto it for me for so long(2 weeks) without complaint so having to wait a few minutes for them to get it out of the back was no trouble at all.

As always I got professional service and every question I asked was handled tactfully.

I really like NSF, especially one gentleman there - slightly older with a deep voice and glasses. He is exceptional.

I believe his name is Eddie - If not he is kind enough to respond cordially when I call him that.

I agree - having the 3 shops close is a good thing. They each have their strong points.

Your describe my experience, I go around but I always en up there. From the purchase of my first gun to my typical lets stop by to see what they have in here today, I just feel comfortable there. Thank you Northshore Firearms!

I'm new to gun ownership in Massachusetts. I had some experience rifle shooting with my friends in Maine and with my grandfather when he was alive. When I was sure my gun license was on it's way I decided to start shopping around. I planned out a couple of my days off to just explore the north shore and see what kind of gun stores I could rummage up. This was of course before I stumbled upon this fine website, by the way. By coincidence NorthShore Firearms was the first shop I visited. I would have to say that after visiting that shop I was spoiled. None of the other shops seemed to match the level of service and understanding I got from everyone I spoke to here. I am really not that knowledgeable in the gun community yet but they dealt with my ignorance tactfully and I left the place knowing more than when I entered. I tried to speak with everyone if only for a few moments and I got nothing but good first impressions.

Even after visiting several other shops that day no one else left as much of a good impression as this place did. I am buying my first gun through them and they will be my first stop any time I am looking for another.

I went up there knowing nothing and still in the waiting phase for my licence, met mike and was shocked at the time he spent telling me about different options for what I wanted. left very impressed, but curious about other shops. took a ride to another shop, waited about 20 mins just for someone to tell me since I'm still waiting for the license it wasn't worth my time to even talk to him because it wasn't possible to hold and feel the differences in guns. left there and don't plan on returning. northshore is gonna be my gun store, customer service is some of the best I have gotten.

I went up there knowing nothing and still in the waiting phase for my licence, met mike and was shocked at the time he spent telling me about different options for what I wanted. left very impressed, but curious about other shops. took a ride to another shop, waited about 20 mins just for someone to tell me since I'm still waiting for the license it wasn't worth my time to even talk to him because it wasn't possible to hold and feel the differences in guns. left there and don't plan on returning. northshore is gonna be my gun store, customer service is some of the best I have gotten.

I think I know just where you went and although I can sympathize with them worrying about letting an unlicensed person handle their firearms I think it's a very bad business decision for them in the long run. It definitely gives the wrong kind of impression.

+ 1 for Northshore Firearms today.

I recently bought, sorry, robbed a Glock 23 from Northshore Firearms for next to nothing. Very good price. It came with two pre-ban mags.

I went back today regarding the magazines. The salesman explained how they were pre-ban and definitely knew his stuff.
I still feel uncomfortable about pre and post ban magazines. Call me crazy, I know. Just something that doesn't sit with me.

He had no issue exchanging the pre-ban mags for 10 rounders for me just for my peace of mind.

This post is to be less focused on my uneasiness regarding pre and post ban mags and more focused on the understanding the
incredible customer service.

Very happy the way today turned out.

Derek

I had related positive thing with them some months back. I bought a used item from them and found an issue with it when I got home. These things happen. I went back, a 75 mile drive, and they striaghtened it out while I waited. They were running a special on russian ammo at that time. I put around 1,000 rounds on the counter, at a good price, while I waited and without me having to ask they took another 20%off the ammo for my trouble. Didn't have to but they did. Very good customer service.

I bought a walther pps 9mm here. Great store, really nice guys, decent (but not great) prices on guns. I'd shop here again. I think Four Seasons is still my favorite store in the area, but this place is a close second.

The only thing that i found odd what the guy (don't recall his name) who sold me the walther told me there was no such thing as 9mm +P ammo when i asked if the pps was +P rated. I asked for some defensinve ammo, he gave me speer gold dot 115gr. I was looking for the 124gr +P. I wasn't about to argue the point over a product that they obviously didn't have in stock anyway.

Although I haven't done the circuit of all shops in the area, I enjoy going to NF. I've purchased two used from them and when I purchasing my second from there, I believe the owner, asked if I had received a discount on the first that I had purchased there two weeks prior. I said that I had not and he made good on it by giving me a discount on the second + all accessories.

Although the place in Woburn has a much better ammo selection, I enjoy the atmosphere at NF much more.

We must have different homepages.

Only thing on their home page is this:

Let's clear this up...This ammo is not Winchester Bonded Supreme Elite PDX1.

The product no. for this ammo is Q4369, not S40SWPDB1.

No where on the box does it state anything like 'Supreme Elite PDX1', it may

have the same bullet in the cartridge, but that doesn't make it PDX1

This ammo was probably made for a branch of our government, because

the product number indicates that, and it is offered to us as

an over run or a canceled order...anyways it's a good target round for the price!!!

Thats nothing more than clarifying what they are selling.

And, yet, you knew right what I was talking about on the homepage.

?????? What is your deal here???????

There is nothing in that can be construed as attitude.

How did I know thats what you were talking about? Easy! Thats all that is on the home page besides listing their items for sale.

You obviously have a gripe with them and I suggest you contact them directly rather than airing it out here.

You obviously have a gripe with them and I suggest you contact them directly rather than airing it out here.

This is a review thread, right? What am I airing out here, BTW?

I have my opinion, you have yours. We can leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom