Non-Resident Permits: Most Bang for the Buck

TWtommers

Instructor
NES Member
Last weekend I mailed off applications for PA, ME, and NH non-resident permits. Today, the PA permit arrived beating all my preconceived notions of how quickly any government agency could move. Now I've spent some time trying to consider my best options for the most coverage with the least amount of permits/ licenses. I thought I would share my findings for those with a similar interest.

First, a little primer. My reasons for multiple licensing is to not have to modify my behavior based on my geographic location. I travel a fair amount and want the choice to be mine as to whether or not i decide to carry when I do. Getting (or trying to get) licenses in all New England states is a priority. I'm very close to RI and CT and could end up in either without prior planning very easily.

Now, although MA does not recognize any reciprocity with other states, a surprising amount of states recognize the MA license. 20 actually:AK, AL, AR, AZ, ID, IA, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, and VT. So, when you got your MA LTC-A you became licensed in a total of 21 states out of a possible 50.

I chose to apply for the PA license now because its dirt cheap ($26) covers 9 states including PA and as of February, it looks Ike you may have to make an appearance in PA to get one. The application mailed on Monday and the license arrived Saturday. The PA license covers: GA, LA, ND, WV, VA, WI, WY.

I also sent off the easy applications for ME and NH. In addition to the 25 states covered with the previous two licenses, NH covers AL and MS while ME covers DE and NE. That gets you up to 31 states and covers more than half of New England.

CT gets you nothing extra except NE and requires the NRA Basic Pistol. After i take that in February, I'll apply for that license and should up the total to 33 states. RI is tougher, some say impossible.

That leaves me with the next choice of which of the popular big non-residents to apply for. All the cool kids are going for UT but I have some issues here. First, I have to take another class that frankly, isn't likely to give me a whole lot of useful or new knowledge for my $100. Second, I'm already licensed for UT with my MA license and three more of the 35 states it covers don't require a ccw. 4 states only recognize resident permits. 14 more will recognize a license from MA. So the 31 states a UT license is advertised to cover is practically much more like 15 for an LTC-A holder. Not as impressive. Finally, it still won't get me covered in FL, which being an east coast kind of guy, is a much more likely state for me to visit.

I'm going after FL. Price is nearly a wash when you consider the UT class. Not enough to argue over and it won't be until my second or third renewal when you amortize costs. But, with it I get FL, KS, NM, OH, OK, and WA. Those are the only other states that the FL or UT license cover that the combination of NH, PA, MA, and ME don't. I don't get MN or WI like UT would get me but I get NM. Plus, I get FL which does not recognize the MA permits and only has reciprocity with resident licensing.

The grand total at the end should be 38 states with a combo of MA, NH, ME, PA, FL, CT licenses/permits. The remaining break out as follows:

RI: Tough to get
MN: Could get with a UT
OR: Does not recognize other licenses. Non Res possible if in a neighboring state
NV: Could get a non-res after a class and in person app or will recognize RI (currently)
CA: Does not issue non resident permits
MD: Nearly impossible to get. Does not recognize other licenses.
NJ: Nearly impossible to get. Does not recognize other licenses.
NY: Does not issue non resident permits. Does not recognize other licenses.
CO: Only recognizes resident licenses. Does not issue non resident permits
SC: Only recognizes resident licenses and will not issue non-res to non property owners.
HI: Does not issue non resident permits. Does not recognize other licenses.

ETA: I have included IA's law change and a note about WI's new law. I now have non resident licenses in NH, ME, CT, PA, and FL. The total coverage for these is 38 states leaving out only those that are impossible or near impossible for me to be licensed in. I made the following cheat sheet that I keep in my wallet to remind me of where I'm actually licensed and with which license. Its listed below. The grayed states are the ones covered by the MA license. Feel free to use it or copy it.

PERMIT STATES.jpg

Last edited:
One more option -- take a combo class that will set you up for both Utah and Florida; when I took it, the class cost the same as for a Florida-only class, and you can always choose not to send in the Utah paperwork.

One more option -- take a combo class that will set you up for both Utah and Florida; when I took it, the class cost the same as for a Florida-only class, and you can always choose not to send in the Utah paperwork.

True, but, FL doesn't require any more of a class than MA does so any class I take for FL would be redundant. Goes back to spending $100 for MN.

CO: only recognizes resident licenses. Will issue non-res

Now, although MA does not recognize any reciprocity with other states, a surprising amount of states recognize the MA license. 14 actually:AK, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, and VT. So, when you got your MA LTC-A you became licensed in a total of 15 states out of a possible 48 (remember, IL and WI don't issue or recognize CCW licenses).

Great work and very comprehensive.

You're mistaken on CO though. They do not issue non-resident permits (but will be very shortly [wink]). They have limited reciprocity with states like FL, but only recognize permits issued to residents. This is the basis for Peterson v. LaCabe.

Details on the 14 states that recognize the MA LTC along with links to the state specific justifications can be found HERE

Last edited:
"NV: could get a non-res after a class and in person app or will recognize RI"

As info, lastweek a friend and I were discussing this because he insisted NV would be covered by his RI permit. The NV website even stated so. http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml He called the NV AG and left a message. I was there when the AG returned his call and the NV AG stated that they do not recognize RI's permit. When my friend stated what he had read on Nevada's website, the AG stated, "it's wrong, I'll have to have it corrected." <shrugging shoulders> who know's what to believe.

"NV: could get a non-res after a class and in person app or will recognize RI"

As info, lastweek a friend and I were discussing this because he insisted NV would be covered by his RI permit. The NV website even stated so. http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml He called the NV AG and left a message. I was there when the AG returned his call and the NV AG stated that they do not recognize RI's permit. When my friend stated what he had read on Nevada's website, the AG stated, "it's wrong, I'll have to have it corrected." <shrugging shoulders> who know's what to believe.

Good info. They change the states they recognize every year so I guess they changed it again!

Great work and very comprehensive.

You're mistaken on CO though. They do not issue non-resident permits (but will be very shortly [wink]). They have limited reciprocity with states like FL, but only recognize permits issued to residents. This is the basis for Peterson v. LaCabe.

Details on the 14 states that recognize the MA LTC along with links to the state specific justifications can be found HERE

My bad. You're right! I'll change that.

Nevada conducts a "permit analysis" each year, and issues an annual list of the accepted permits. RI was added to the list this year, which is good, considering that UT and FL were removed the year before. Acceptance is based on "substantially similar" requirements - and NV currently interprets that to mean that live fire must be a requirement for the permit.

The responsibility for creation of the "accepted list" falls on the Nevada Department of Public Safety under NRS202.3689, not the AG's office. I seriously doubt that the "AG returned his call" - he probably heard from a minor functionary, who was answering to the best of his imperfect ability. So, you have two sources - the web site published by the agency responsible for making the determination as to what licenses are accepted (which you can print out to have a record that their official source informed you) or the verbal statement of a nameless person in a state agency not chartered with creating the list. I think the answer as to who to believe is rather easy to figure out.

Thanks for the info Rob and clearing that up. I'll pass info along. He'll be happy to hear that since he travels to NV regularlly to visit his sister.

Thanks for the info Rob and clearing that up. I'll pass info along. He'll be happy to hear that since he travels to NV regularlly to visit his sister.

Just remember, free information(*) is worth every cent you pay for it.

When I carried in NV recently, I also had a printout of the DPS page in my wallet just in case I needed to show someone the official list.

* - Note that I did not give any "advice" :)

thank you for all the research. I wish there was a simple way to be licenced for all states. I don't understan why crossing a state line 10 monutes from home suddenly makes me incompitent with my gun

It's amazing what you have to do to get a permit to carry in other states. It's all political garbage! Example: if i fly to Florida i cannot carry because Mass dosen't recriprocate with them. It's almost like saying, "if you don't scratch my back I won't scratch yours". Makes no sense and that's my two cents :)

It's amazing what you have to do to get a permit to carry in other states. It's all political garbage! Example: if i fly to Florida i cannot carry because Mass dosen't reciprocate with them. It's almost like saying, "if you don't scratch my back I won't scratch yours". Makes no sense and that's my two cents :)

You think that's bad, just imagine how the rest of of the country feel when traveling Massachusetts, where even if our state does "scratch their back", mass STILL refuses to recognize other states' permits.

Back
Top Bottom