Non Resident Permit

I will be driving past the CT SP barracks that does the licenses on my way back to MA in a few days. Is it worth it to stop in with my app? Also, can they do my fingerprinting? Any info is appreciated!

CT non-res permit - in person submission

You're talking about Middletown, right? The place where your non-resident application is supposed to go when completed, right? If so, it's not a CTSP barracks, but a huge glass office/administrative building. I don't know that they actually house a "troop" of the CTSP there.

If we are talking about Middletown, then the answer is yes, you can submit your application there in person. I submitted my application there last summer while passing through, as I had a question about which license to list on the application. Yes, you can get your fingerprints taken there, and then submit your application package in person across the hall. They're not really "equipped" to accept non-resident applications there "over-the-counter" (and they'll tell you so) (although they do have a counter with customer service people), but they will accept the package.

As to the subjective question "is it worth it to stop in", I don't know that it will materially speed up your application response time.

I went there today

I had all my stuff from what I read from our posts. Then only to be turned away from the administrative supervisor. She said my state police certifiction was not long enough in hours of training. I though all Mass LTC cert with "Mass State Police LTC" were the same. I guess not. I have to work on this more I guess. No happy.

jack

Yes, I did mean the Middleton "complex". I didnt know there wasnt a troop stationed, there, sorry if I was confused. I will be passing by, so I might as well do my fingerprints there and just hand them the app. I hope I dont have the same problem as Jack with my cert from MA! I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks for the info RKBA.

CT non-resident class requirement

Sorry to hear you were turned away, JackFunTeach...that must have been really annoying.

When I took my MA-approved class last year, the instructors used the materials, curriculum and final exam from the NRA Basic Pistol course, I guess with additional information and materials to cover the MA-specific points. So, when we completed the course, we received both a MA Department of State Police "Basic Firearms Safety Certificate" and an NRA Basic Pistol Course certificate. I think that I submitted copies of both certificates to CT, which may have been how I sidestepped the problem you faced.

dagwag - I don't know if there's a way for you to check in advance, but perhaps the folks in Middletown can tell you whether or not your MA certificate will pass muster with them? Might save you a trip...good luck either way

I'm in NY right now, so I'll be literally driving right past the building on I91 on my way back to Boston. I figured I'd just pop in - what the heck... If they dont like the cert I'll mail in a NRA one with the app when it'll pass their BS.

10-4; good luck. They're quite friendly people there, especially the former officer who took my prints. Just remember to empty your pockets in your car before going in - they have the sensitivity turned waaaay up on the magnetometer at the front door. Also, I gave out photocopies of the MA & NRA certificates to CT (and elsewhere), so I'd say try to hang onto your originals if you can....

Middletown, CT D.P.S experiance...

Middletown, CT D.P.S experiance.
http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502

State of Connecticut
Department of
Public Safety
1111 Country Club Rd.
Middletown, CT 06457
(860) 685-8190
Exit 20 off Rt I-91

I was working in Middletown this week, so I just stopped by Middletown Ct. Department of Public Safety today.
I had all my non-resident papers together and wanted to make sure everything was in order.
I had gotten my fingerprints at the Canaan, Ct State Police Barracks. The Canaan officers were great took me right in & talked about what guns we both had!!

I went through the metal detector without too much trouble. Forgot to remove a few work related things, but no problem..they were good about it!!

I waited about 5 minutes and talked to 2 very pleasant women. One pointed out an error I had made and I corrected it right there.
The other woman took my papers back to her desk and looked them all over.
When she came back she said all was well and it would take 6-8 weeks, but that I may see it sooner.

So that was my experiance with the Middletown D.P.S.
I did have my NRA course cert. though as well as my Mass course cert.
I had gotten both at the same time. See class link below:
http://www.nrapistolinstructor.com/

A Mass. SP cert. is not good enough for CT. The NRA Basic piostol course is OK because it is a 10 Hr. course. I teach the LTC class at S&W and the sate of CT, told us we would have to revamp the LTC course to meet the 10 hour CT requirment. The Mass. course is only 8 hours and CT. will not accept it any longer . So now I have the CT students stay 2 hours longer and we go over CT. gun law and do a gun cleaning course to make up the extra 2 hours for the CT cert.

Remsport, does my CT LTC coarse meet the needs if i want to get an instate MA permit if i move up there? I am living out on cape ann right now.

MA is picky about their certification - they require a certificate for a MA-specific course from a MA-approved/certified/registered instructor. If your CT LTC course was given by a Massachusetts-approved/certified/registered instructor, then that instructor could possibly give you the MA State Police certificate for your original CT course (if it's within their time frame/cutoff), perhaps with a short ad hoc review of MA firearms law. However, I'm willing to bet that this is not the case, and that you'll have to sit through a new class with a MA-approved instructor teaching the MA-approved curriculum. Sorry.

Non resident Ct. Permitt to Carry Pistols and Revolvers!!!!!!!

Well my non resident "Ct. Permitt to Carry Pistols and Revolvers" just arrived today.
4 weeks just about to the day since I dropped the application off in person at Middletown.
That was a lot quicker than my Mass took!!!
Now maybe I can find a place in Ct to shoot closer than I have to go in Mass.
Just make sure you double check the paper work, I would recommend going in person based on My experiance! But that is just my observation.

A Mass. SP cert. is not good enough for CT. The NRA Basic piostol course is OK because it is a 10 Hr. course. I teach the LTC class at S&W and the sate of CT, told us we would have to revamp the LTC course to meet the 10 hour CT requirment. The Mass. course is only 8 hours and CT. will not accept it any longer . So now I have the CT students stay 2 hours longer and we go over CT. gun law and do a gun cleaning course to make up the extra 2 hours for the CT cert.

It's interesting to note that the NRA Basic Pistol course has just been revised and is now 8 hours in length.

Has anyone done the non-resident thing at Middleton more recently?
Just curious if I can drive down there rather than dealing with all the crapola regarding finding somewhere to get a passport photo/ getting fingerprinted (twice)/ getting things notorized/etc.

Basically, I'd like to do this all in one spot, since I have no idea where to get any of it done in western MA.
I'll give them a call tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone had experiences more recent than 2009.

Thanks

Give them a call. If you have difficulty getting a liver person on the Special Licensing phone number, choose the option for a firearm sales approval. You'll get a person within a minute or two.

One thing I can say re the CT State Police in Middletown re pistol permits is that they have always been courteous, efficient, and professional. I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Wanted to relay my experience for anyone looking to do this.

I headed down to Middletown today. Brought with me the three separate money orders that are required (one for $70, one for $50, one for $19.25, all made out to "DPS" why the heck do they do this??) and my filled out paperwork.
Got there and got in line to get fingerprinted, which cost $15.
Then got in the next line for permits. They checked out my info, and unfortunately the woman who does non-resident was on lunch, so I had to wait for her to get back.
Once she returned, she looked over all my info, then came back out with a notary public to notarize the forms when I signed them. She then had me come back and get my photo taken, and I was on my way. I should have the permit in 4-6 weeks via mail.

Everyone was great to deal with and the process was pretty painless. I would suggest, however, not showing up around lunch time. I'm a bonehead. [laugh]

ETA: Also, despite the paperwork specifying that you needed a bank check or money order, the signs there said personal check was ok, so that might have been an added hassle I could have skipped. I'd verify, however.

It sounds like a ridiculous process.

But more importantly, it sounds like it is documented correctly and consistently applied. Which is MUCH more than can be said for the resident permit process. (Which requires participation and cooperation of local LEOs)

Don

It sounds like a ridiculous process.

But more importantly, it sounds like it is documented correctly and consistently applied. Which is MUCH more than can be said for the resident permit process. (Which requires participation and cooperation of local LEOs)

Don

You don't need to go in person. CT does accept applications both in person and by mail. IMO, CT is very reasonable with non-residents.

Yeah, I only went in person to make things easier.... if you're willing to search out places that will do all the various things required, you could mail it in.

Yeah, I only went in person to make things easier.... if you're willing to search out places that will do all the various things required, you could mail it in.

I've also heard the turnaround is quicker if you go in to DPS rather than mail it, but most local PDs will print you for a nominal fee. Some may say its more convenient to do some local errands than drive all the way out to DPS.

Some may say its more convenient to do some local errands than drive all the way out to DPS.

Get printed ... and find somewhere to get things notarized... and find somwhere to get pictures taken.... [wink]
Heck, I didn't know money orders still existed! [laugh]

But yeah, I hear ya... it was just less than an hour drive for me.

Last edited:
Get printed ... and find somewhere to get things notarized... and find somwhere to get pictures taken.... [wink]
Heck, I didn't know money orders still existed! [laugh]

Yup real difficult:

Prints - call local PD or drop by, cost $0 (in W. MA you might try local MSP Barracks if you are in a tiny town).

Notary - bank you do business with, cost $0.

Pictures - wait for Wife to come home, stand against solid colored wall, print out on color inkjet printer, cost - paper and ink. [If any photobooths in malls still exist, cost is ~$3 and you get 3-5 pictures.]

MO (if required) - bank you do business with, cost varies from $0 to a few bucks each.

Yup real difficult:

Prints - call local PD or drop by, cost $0 (in W. MA you might try local MSP Barracks if you are in a tiny town).

Notary - bank you do business with, cost $0.

Pictures - wait for Wife to come home, stand against solid colored wall, print out on color inkjet printer, cost - paper and ink. [If any photobooths in malls still exist, cost is ~$3 and you get 3-5 pictures.]

MO (if required) - bank you do business with, cost varies from $0 to a few bucks each.

My point is that at least its a consistent, defined process. Yes its a PITA. But at least there is a process to follow. Some CLEOs in some towns in CT go outside the law to put up barriers to a successful application.
Many towns will not accept prints done by any other agency. Then they tell you there is a 6 month wait for prints.

None of this is int he statutes. In New Haven they have a release that they want you to sign that authorizes them to pull your credit reports, medical records, interview employers. All of this is illegal. But it must be done unless you want to file a complaint with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, then wait 18 months for your hearing date to come up.

Don

I've been thinking about getting my CT non-resident. I had a Permit when I was a resident before moving to Mass for college. Still have lots of family and my old expired license. I'm sure that can't hurt, but I'm wondering if I'd still have to take another course....

I've been thinking about getting my Non-Res. CT permit, but will I get shot down for having restrictions on my MA LTC (Sport/Target, No CCW)? I know NH they'd turn me down. But obviously if I wanted to transport in CT I'd have to have a CT Non-res License, right?

I've been thinking about getting my Non-Res. CT permit, but will I get shot down for having restrictions on my MA LTC (Sport/Target, No CCW)? I know NH they'd turn me down. But obviously if I wanted to transport in CT I'd have to have a CT Non-res License, right?

I can't speak to CT, but you KNOW this about NH how?

You are wrong about NH, of that I am certain.

What are the restrictions on your MA LTC??
Are you allowed to carry a loaded gun on your person?

Then you should be ok.

Here is the statute:
(f) Any bona fide resident of the United States having no bona fide residence or place of business within the jurisdiction of any local authority in the state, but who has a permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by the authority of another state or subdivision of the United States, may apply directly to the Commissioner of Public Safety for a permit to carry a pistol or revolver in this state. All provisions of subsections (b), (c), (d) and (e) of this section shall apply to applications for a permit received by the commissioner under this subsection.

So you should be fine as long as you have "permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver" in your state. I have not heard of anyone experiencing difficulties getting a non-resident CT pistol permit. Its very straight forward.

Also, if you read the law, you could get a CT permit even if they didn't like your MA permit. Simply take your NRA course certificate that you got when you prepared to get your MA permit and use it to get a non-resident FL permit. Then use that to get the CT permit.

Either way, I wouldn't worry. I also wouldn't hesitate to give the CT special licensing group a call to discuss it. They generally are not an unreasonable group.

Finally, be careful about what you mean by "transport in CT". You could get in trouble. In CT it is pretty much illegal to leave the house with a handgun without a permit.

You could transport THROUGH CT without a permit. But if you had a friend who lived in CT, and you wanted to go shooting, even if he has a permit, you would be breaking the law while you were going to his house.

Obvious exceptions are trips to CT for organized competition and training.

Don

p.s. I also doubt you'd have trouble getting a permit in NH as long as you have some kind of carry permit in MA. They really don't sweat the small stuff in NH. Remember, in NH you can carry openly legally without even carrying ID. I'm just speculating on NH. Maybe MA residents with more specific knowledge can help here.

You Mass people are like a dog thats been hit too many times. Always assuming that when someone comes to say hi, that corporal punishment is on the way. CT and NH are both MUCH MUCH easier on gun owners.

Last edited:
I can't speak to CT, but you KNOW this about NH how?

You are wrong about NH, of that I am certain.

This NH policy on this has changed from time to time over the years, and there was a time when a MA restricted LTC got you NH rejection letter. I think it depends if the CCW constellation is retrograde and anterograde mode.

This NH policy on this has changed from time to time over the years, and there was a time when a MA restricted LTC got you NH rejection letter. I think it depends if the CCW constellation is retrograde and anterograde mode.

I intentionally didn't bring it up, as the person responsible for this gaff was either "educated" on RSAs or removed from that position and it has not been an issue for a few years now. I know someone who stays on top of this and yells foul whenever they stray off the reservation.

Back
Top Bottom