pistol permit renewal by mail

So we always get a 90 day grace period and since covid we get an additional 90 days. I was hoping for them to open back up but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I now need to go get a birth certificate, a passport photo, then a notary to watch me sign the paper and finally the post office. So instead of going to 1 place now 4, wtf?

Anyways, has anyone just printed out a picture or do I need to do a legit passport photo from a shop?

On your renewal letter it will tell you if you actually have to provide a birth certificate. This was a post 9/11 change with the dubious intent of forcing all PP holders to prove they were citizens.

99% of all PP holders have already provided that information. You only need to prove it once.

As for convenience, I have never renewed in person since they started allowing mail in renewals. Its not WTF. Its EASIER. A lot easier.

Take a pic of yourself and upload it to walgreens or similar and select passport photo. Stop and pick it up at a time that is covenient for you.
Go to a place that is convenient to get the whole shebang notarized. Even if you live in the middle of nowhere, there are places within 5 minutes of everyone. Your bank, town hall, for example. (and this is free).

Put it in an envelope and mail in.

This in contrast to going up to Middletown or some other DESPP location and dicking around for 90 minutes while they process and photograph you. Even if they get you in and out in 30 minutes, if its a 30 minute ride, that's 90 minutes round trip.

I think it took me a total of 15 minutes to get my mail in renewal put together.

Don

p.s. You weren't one of those crazies lined up outside of DESPP trying to register your AW in person in 2013? Please say no!!

Back
Top Bottom