Non-resident CCW?

In the mail today, so I could have gotten it Friday or Saturday, but I was away.
It was less than 3 weeks to get my Non resident- employment restrictions :(
Oh well, at least I can carry to/ from work, jobsite, etc. Now I just need some 10 round mags!

In the mail today, so I could have gotten it Friday or Saturday, but I was away.
It was less than 3 weeks to get my Non resident- employment restrictions :(
Oh well, at least I can carry to/ from work, jobsite, etc. Now I just need some 10 round mags!
Glad it turned around so fast for you. The sound you might hear is me gritting my teeth over the 3+ months it took me to get my resident Class A......lol.

Glad it turned around so fast for you. The sound you might hear is me gritting my teeth over the 3+ months it took me to get my resident Class A......lol.
I put in my non resident application at the end of April. They scheduled my interview for the first week of September. Now after the interview it has already been a week. I think that trumps your 3 months.

I sent in my application April 17th... so for the whole process well over 4 months. After the interview it was a little less than 3 weeks. I was expecting it to be the whole 12 weeks I was told!

Had my interview today. Took an hour from nashua to the visitor lot. Lot was empty, plenty of parking, you just tell the security guy you are there for the FRB. I got there an hour and half early, they took me in a 10:45. However, they had a very comfortable piece of granite to sit on.

Anyway, the nice lady took me upstairs, fingerprinted me, (which took a a while, apparently my sweaty mitts cause trouble for the scanner). She asked me all the questions on the application, and then asked why I wanted the permit. She basically read my application statement,and said "so it sounds like sporting?" I responded that I would prefer unrestricted, I had one as a resident, etc. "oh, yes, I see that, well, its up to my boss"

So basically, you need to clearly articulate a need/want for unrestricted. I have the verbal articulation skills of Joe Biden, so that was out, at least this time. So who knows what I will end up with. Then she said it would take 8-12 weeks, [shocked] so I hope sooner!

So I mailed the application May 22, so I am at 3.5 months.

Had my interview today. Took an hour from nashua to the visitor lot. Lot was empty, plenty of parking, you just tell the security guy you are there for the FRB. I got there an hour and half early, they took me in a 10:45. However, they had a very comfortable piece of granite to sit on.

Anyway, the nice lady took me upstairs, fingerprinted me, (which took a a while, apparently my sweaty mitts cause trouble for the scanner). She asked me all the questions on the application, and then asked why I wanted the permit. She basically read my application statement,and said "so it sounds like sporting?" I responded that I would prefer unrestricted, I had one as a resident, etc. "oh, yes, I see that, well, its up to my boss"

So basically, you need to clearly articulate a need/want for unrestricted. I have the verbal articulation skills of Joe Biden, so that was out, at least this time. So who knows what I will end up with. Then she said it would take 8-12 weeks, [shocked] so I hope sooner!

So I mailed the application May 22, so I am at 3.5 months.

I think she must have put in my reason as employment only because, well, that's my restriction! I forgot about all those restrictions like sport/ hunting, or employment. It sounds like there has to be a case that you or property is in immediate danger, which is ridiculous, to get an unrestricted ltc.

FYI, mine took a little less than 3 week after the interview. They must be in a slow time of year, because the interviewer also told me 12 weeks.

I finally managed to move out of MA but for the time being am stuck working there. Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to obtain an unrestricted non-resident LTC assuming you once held a resident LTC-A? I would rather not pony up the $100/year and waste my time with the interview process if they are generally issuing restricted licenses.

All a restricted license would do is allow me to keep my gun locked in my car while at the office. Paying for that 'privilege' seems a bit silly.

Having had a resident unrestricted LTC-A is one of the factors which they give a lot of weight to wrt issuing unrestricted NR LTC. This was told to me by the current FRB Director.

What is the likely hood of H.3271 passing and non residents getting a 6 year license? Pending the outcome, I might jump through the hoops and get it. Can someone please PM me talking points to put in my letter and how to properly fill out the application so I can get an unrestricted LTC A.

Thanks.

What is the likely hood of H.3271 passing and non residents getting a 6 year license? Pending the outcome, I might jump through the hoops and get it. Can someone please PM me talking points to put in my letter and how to properly fill out the application so I can get an unrestricted LTC A.

Thanks.

I would definitely do it if it was for 6 years, but I'm not holding my breath.

There's two things I would like to see for NR LTCs :
- Longer Term
- Ability to purchase items inside Massachusetts as long as it doesn't violate federal law. (ammo, long guns pop in my first)

So Good News! After speaking with Michaela Dunne and explaining the situation. I had to fill out my application with the Criminal information on it and I do now have to select the check box that I have been denied and explain that it was a mistake in the filing of the paperwork. When all is said and done I received my Non-Resident Class A Large Capacity Temporary License to Carry Firearms..... Restrictions: None

Overall kind of a painful process. We will see when I have to file again in June how it goes. Thank you for your advice Len!

So Good News! After speaking with Michaela Dunne and explaining the situation. I had to fill out my application with the Criminal information on it and I do now have to select the check box that I have been denied and explain that it was a mistake in the filing of the paperwork. When all is said and done I received my Non-Resident Class A Large Capacity Temporary License to Carry Firearms..... Restrictions: None

Overall kind of a painful process. We will see when I have to file again in June how it goes. Thank you for your advice Len!

Glad to have helped, and like I stated above, Michaela is a really nice person who tries to be helpful.

There's two things I would like to see for NR LTCs :
- Longer Term
- Ability to purchase items inside Massachusetts as long as it doesn't violate federal law. (ammo, long guns pop in my first)
It would also make sense to, at minimum, allow renewals my mail.

It is unlikely to happen as (according to the former FRB director), the concern is that people will have their fingerprints surgically altered between renewals. (No, as ridiculous as it sounds, I am not making this up)

It would also make sense to, at minimum, allow renewals my mail.

It is unlikely to happen as (according to the former FRB director), the concern is that people will have their fingerprints surgically altered between renewals. (No, as ridiculous as it sounds, I am not making this up)

And residents won't?? [rolleyes]

They don't WANT the process to be convenient. They don't want it to be reasonable.

They want it to be a royal PITA. And that's exactly what it is.

It's a royal PITA to lay $100 and then go to Chelsea every year to say hi to the (very nice) guy who does the interview, takes your picture and your prints, and tells you to have a nice day. If you want the permit badly enough, you'll go. If it's not worth the hassle to you, you won't bother. This is exactly what they want to achieve.

You don't make the annual pilgrimage, they win. That's how I see it, anyway.

I make it a priority to make the Chelsea visit each year. It's annoying, but is figure it could be worse. Their state, their rules.

Or people carry illegally.

I'm in no way suggesting it. But I know people who do/did.

Len - You've explained to us that its non-criminal (or is it a misdemeanor?) for a resident to continue to carry on an expired LTC. What about for a non-resident?

Here's my logic. The thing that they have hanging over all MA residents is if they pull it, or even give you a non-criminal infraction, you lose your ability to even possess firearms.

If a NH resident gets a LTC then continues to carry for years after its expired, assuming its a non-criminal infraction, then he's got very little risk if he's caught. Pay the fine. He may never carry again in MA. But at least his ability to carry everywhere else is unaffected and a MA State Police SWAT team isn't going to come to his door to take his guns.

I'm not advocating this. Its purely an exercise in logic.

Don

its non-criminal (or is it a misdemeanor?) for a resident to continue to carry on an expired LTC. What about for a non-resident?

It's a civil fine.
MGL c140s131(m) said:
any person in possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun whose license issued under this section is invalid for the sole reason that it has expired...shall be subject to a civil fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000

Here's my logic. The thing that they have hanging over all MA residents is if they pull it, or even give you a non-criminal infraction, you lose your ability to even possess firearms.

Doesn't even trigger the statutory disqualifier as no term of imprisonment can be imposed.
MGL c140s131(d)(i)(d) said:
a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be impose

If a NH resident gets a LTC then continues to carry for years after its expired, assuming its a non-criminal infraction, then he's got very little risk if he's caught. Pay the fine. He may never carry again in MA. But at least his ability to carry everywhere else is unaffected and a MA State Police SWAT team isn't going to come to his door to take his guns.
As has been discussed here before, nobody is sure if there's an actual method to revoke a LTC that's already expired. Since, as quoted above, getting caught isn't a statutory disqualifier, if you never apply for renewal of the expired license (and get denied), there's no reason the "just pay the fine" method shouldn't work multiple times on the same expired license. However MGL c140s131(m) does say that they will confiscate the firearm until you renew the LTC, so you may never see it again. They also should confiscate the actual LTC card, but having possession of the physical card isn't an element of the exemption as far as I can see, so as long as you have a copy of it... [smile]

MGL c140s131(m) said:
Any law enforcement officer who discovers a person to be in possession of a firearm, rifle or shotgun after such person’s license has expired, (...), shall confiscate such firearm, rifle or shotgun and the expired or suspended license then in possession and such officer, shall forward such license to the licensing authority by whom it was issued as soon as practicable. (...) Any confiscated weapon shall be returned to the owner upon the renewal or reinstatement of such expired or suspended license within one year of such confiscation or may be otherwise disposed of (...). The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply if such person has a valid license to carry firearms issued under section 131F.

How the last part factors in, if at all, is anyone's guess. As decided in Simkin, c131 and c131F are intertwined, so I'd hope a 131F non-resident license would trigger the c140s131(m) exemption.

I'm not advocating this. Its purely an exercise in logic.
Of course! [devil]

But for a resident, there is still the evil catchall of suitability. Even if the statute doesn't require revocation. Your CLEO could still revoke based on suitability.

So based on your explanation. There would be some protection against criminal charges if an out of state person got a LTC, then after getting tired of renewing every year, continued to carry on the expired license.

Again, this is all just theoretical.

Seriously, life is about weighing risks and benefits. I have a friend in CT who will not even transport to a range in MA. He has an expired MA LTC. He has no desire to carry. He just wants to bring his guns to Agawam legally. Its such a hassle for him to renew every year that he gave up the LTC and with it, his membership to what was his favorite club. This changes things for him.

Don

And residents won't?? [rolleyes]
Residents also have to renew in person.

As has been discussed here before, nobody is sure if there's an actual method to revoke a LTC that's already expired. Since, as quoted above, getting caught isn't a statutory disqualifier, if you never apply for renewal of the expired license (and get denied), there's no reason the "just pay the fine" method shouldn't work multiple times on the same expired license. However MGL c140s131(m) does say that they will confiscate the firearm until you renew the LTC, so you may never see it again. They also should confiscate the actual LTC card, but having possession of the physical card isn't an element of the exemption as far as I can see, so as long as you have a copy of it... [smile]

This is why PDs are trained to keep copies of all denied applications. When someone is found to have carried on an expired license, and the system wants to get them, a scavenger hunt is undertaken to look for any denied renewal application that would allow for a criminal, rather than a civil, charge.

Last edited:
Residents have to renew in person.

But its once every 5 (or 6) years.

Also, its at their local PD, within 10 minutes of their home most likely. This is nowhere near as onerous as requiring an out of state person to come to MA EVERY year.

Residents have to renew in person.

But its once every 5 (or 6) years.

Also, its at their local PD, within 10 minutes of their home most likely. This is nowhere near as onerous as requiring an out of state person to come to MA EVERY year.

But they don't take prints of residents every renewal. Unsure if they do this for NRs or not.

I called today, they told me 4-6 weeks after the interview for renewals. 8-12 weeks after your interview for first time non-resident applications. I had my interview 7 weeks ago and I'm Still waiting.

But they don't take prints of residents every renewal. Unsure if they do this for NRs or not.

They DO take fingerprints of NRs every year. It's not clear whether they check those fingerprints against your prior set before issueing a renewal. Supposedly, ALL the vetting is done before you come for your renewal interview now, as my interviewer said the paperwork goes to the Director the next day.

As noted, it's all about discouraging NR CCW applications.

Back
Top Bottom