No more live bait

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/07/nangle07.xml

Anglers are to be banned from using live fish as bait after politicians decided it was cruel.The ban, which will apply in Scotland, has angered fishermen south of the border who believe it has handed a major victory to animal rights campaigners calling for similar legislation in the rest of Britain.

Steve Greenway, a leading angler from Staffordshire who has been on 105 fishing trips to Scotland, said: "If I thought live bait was cruel, I wouldn't use it. Where will it all end? Do you stop using maggots and worms as well?"..............................

Wow, just wow.[rolleyes] Then again I like tormenting a friend of mine, cause she raises chickens, won't eat the eggs, or the meat from what she raises, but will by her meat already nicely packaged up.[rolleyes] I also laugh my ass off when her beagle decides to snack on her baby chicks, cause she thinks they are so cute and cuddly, and doesn't understand her beagles are hunting dogs.[thinking] Glenn says I enjoy it too much.[laugh]

Wow, just wow.[rolleyes] Then again I like tormenting a friend of mine, cause she raises chickens, won't eat the eggs, or the meat from what she raises, but will by her meat already nicely packaged up.[rolleyes] I also laugh my ass off when her beagle decides to snack on her baby chicks, cause she thinks they are so cute and cuddly, and doesn't understand her beagles are hunting dogs.[thinking] Glenn says I enjoy it too much.[laugh]

Well, apparently the baby chicks are cute, cuddly and tasty.....lmao...

If I may ask, what the heck does your friend do with the eggs? Throw them away? Chickens are lousy pets; stinky, noisy and not very affectionate. [rolleyes]

Then again we have our flock slaughtered every 2-3 years and our goat wethers slaughtered every fall . The chicken and chevron in the freezer keeps us in meat all year round and fresh eggs cannot be beat for breakfast. I'm not sure when the last time was that we bought grocery store meat.

Okay, I have to ask...I have considered raising goats for meat,just not sure on the taste or which would be a better meat breed.

Supposedly you can't use trout here in Massachusetts stocked ponds as bait. Rumor has it though after a nearby local pond was stocked, a guy was fishing for bass and caught a small brown trout. He put it on a line and sent it back out and wound up catching a 9 pound largemouth bass.
At first it was said he caught it on a 10" Berkly Power Worm but a few people that knew him said it was really a trout. Of course people started using small trout afterwards for bait. I was always partial to using small yellow Perch with the fins cliped myself.[smile]

If I may ask, what the heck does your friend do with the eggs? Throw them away? Chickens are lousy pets; stinky, noisy and not very affectionate. [rolleyes]

Then again we have our flock slaughtered every 2-3 years and our goat wethers slaughtered every fall . The chicken and chevron in the freezer keeps us in meat all year round and fresh eggs cannot be beat for breakfast. I'm not sure when the last time was that we bought grocery store meat.

I haven't asked what she does with the eggs.[rolleyes] My guess probably throws them away, but who knows. I can't believe she will buy them in the grocery store and eat them, but not eat what she raises. Doesn't make sense to me. Like I said she needs the nice little packages already done up for her.
Personally I liked my own pigs that I raised. They had very little fat and the meat tasted sooo much better. Plus I knew what was going into them.
Can't wait to raise them again.

Okay, I have to ask...I have considered raising goats for meat,just not sure on the taste or which would be a better meat breed.
Goat meat tastes very much like lamb. I have been told that chevron is sometimes substituted for lamb so if you eat much lamb you probably have already had goat. I've never been able to verify this.

We have Nubians which we keep for dairy. Doelings are sold as dairy goats for hay money. Sometime we keep one and sell a doe to improve the herd. Bucklings get banded and slaughtered in the fall for meat, although occasionally we'll sell one as a pet. Here's our goat web site: Yeshua's Glory Nubians. I've heard that Boer goats are a good meat breed but we have no experience with them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, and if I have questions I will be sure to ask you. I checked out your website.
Alan and I like lamb so it's good to know goat is like that.

Back
Top Bottom