• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nics Check data per State for the 1st half of 2009

Hey, us "Connecticutians" are around...we are just a bit quiet. BTW, I just received my permanent CC license. I think my background must be in the May or June stats. :)

Evan

I'd love to see this broken down as transfers per 100K residents.

Kentucky does monthly NICS checks on carry permit holders, which screws up their numbers.

Kentucky does monthly NICS checks on carry permit holders, which screws up their numbers.

Ahh Explains a little. I saw the "permit" checks I didnt think it was a permit state to buy. Seems they have a good number of people with CCW as a shall issue state.

Thanks for that bit of Kentucky info. Here are the six-month totals for 2009 presented earlier per 1000 of population (population data are July, 2008 estimates from the census bureau):

243.9 Kentucky
53.4 Wyoming
52.4 Montana
46.3 Utah
42.4 Alaska
40.4 West Virginia
37.2 South Dakota
37.0 Arkansas
36.1 North Dakota
34.9 Idaho
34.7 Colorado
32.9 Oklahoma
32.3 Connecticut
31.8 Alabama
30.4 Missouri
30.4 Illinois
28.4 Minnesota
28.2 Tennessee
28.0 New Mexico
28.0 Washington
28.0 New Hampshire
26.6 Pennsylvania
26.1 Oregon
25.5 Mississippi
25.1 Kansas
25.0 Louisiana
23.8 South Carolina
22.5 Nevada
21.3 North Carolina
21.2 Georgia
20.9 Maine
20.7 Texas
20.5 Iowa
19.4 Indiana
19.2 Virginia
18.6 Arizona
18.6 Michigan
18.4 Vermont
17.6 Ohio
17.2 Wisconsin
16.5 Nebraska
15.8 Florida
11.8 Delaware
11.1 California
8.7 Maryland
8.0 Massachusetts
7.5 Rhode Island
5.9 New York
4.2 Hawaii
3.2 New Jersey
0.3 District of Columbia

I'm surprised that the New York numbers were twice that of Nevada. (22,000 vs 11,000) Also, the DC number was interesting, it peaked at 40 in March. Did Ted Kennedy hire some more bodyguards?

I'm surprised that the New York numbers were twice that of Nevada. (22,000 vs 11,000) Also, the DC number was interesting, it peaked at 40 in March. Did Ted Kennedy hire some more bodyguards?

New York has 7.5 times the population of Nevada.

Excellent, thanks. That puts the numbers in much better perspective. How'd you make them?

I just grabbed the state population estimates from the census bureau, imported the data into excel, and divided the NICs check totals for 2009 by the state pops and multiplied by 1,000.

Broken down divided by pop, I am more impressed with Connecticut. Does CT have any checks like Kentucky to skew the numbers or are they just arming for a Rhode Island invasion?

Ahh here are state numbers with "purposes" from 1998 - 2009

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/ptd_state_totalss_by_purpose_codes.htm

Marianas Islands DID have 290 during that period of time. Zero for the last 6 months? Maybe the 1 gun shop there got closed down.

Last edited:

If they broke it up between Long gun, Handgun, and non-gun, that'd be even more interesting.

-Mike

That's kinda depressing...out of 50,000 NICS checks in Massachusetts, only one of them is for me. I really need to start buying more.

Broken down divided by pop, I am more impressed with Connecticut. Does CT have any checks like Kentucky to skew the numbers or are they just arming for a Rhode Island invasion?

No, it's in anticipation of the amphibious invasion from Long Island.

AFAIK, CT doesn't do the checks like Kentucky.

CT does not quite have a "shall issue" statute, but it has laws much closer to such status than any of its bordering states. I have some people tell me that they think CT is pretty much a "shall issue" state. If my understanding is correct, Mass, NY and Rhode Island all allow local law enforcement almost unlimited discretion in deciding whether to issue or deny the issuance of a permit.

IIRC, Mass requires a permit for every firearm. CT does not require a permit for every firearm. If you wanted to buy a shotgun or rifle in CT, you can walk in, pick it out, wait two-weeks, then, provided everything is clean, come back and pick it up.

Back
Top Bottom