Nics Check data per State for the 1st half of 2009

Negatory. Once licensed, you can buy whatever's approved (NICS check, EOPS roster/AG's regs for handguns, AWB for long guns).

Yes, but one minor nit about this. It bears mentioning that it is NOT illegal for someone to purchase (or possess) a handgun that doesn't comply with the AG/EOPS regulations. These regulations are applicable only to dealers/sellers.

-Mike

Yes, but one minor nit about this. It bears mentioning that it is NOT illegal for someone to purchase (or possess) a handgun that doesn't comply with the AG/EOPS regulations. These regulations are applicable only to dealers/sellers.

-Mike

That's why my list wasn't an and/or. [wink] The firearm isn't licensed, the owner is in MA.

OK, here's my attempt to clean the numbers up further. I took the numbers for the first 6 months of this year as a start, then used the FBI numbers on the permits by purpose to adjust these for permit checks and multiple purpose checks. I then divided by population to get an estimate of the number of firearm purchases from dealers per 1,000 population. There are two important problems remaining. First, if a state started or stopped doing NICS checks for permits during the reporting period, that will through my adjustments off. The other is that some states' licenses serve as an alternative to the NICS check, which would seriously lower purchase estimates for those states. With those qualifications, here are my numbers:

Kentucky ............. 77.2
Wyoming .............. 45.7
Montana .............. 43.1
Alaska ............... 39.5
Utah ................. 35.6
South Dakota ......... 35.5
Colorado ............. 34.6
West Virginia ........ 33.9
North Dakota ......... 32.0
Arkansas ............. 29.5
Oklahoma ............. 28.4
Alabama .............. 28.3
Missouri ............. 27.9
Tennessee ............ 27.4
Idaho ................ 26.4
Pennsylvania ......... 26.4
Oregon ............... 26.3
New Mexico ........... 24.4
Kansas ............... 23.6
Louisiana ............ 23.3
Mississippi .......... 22.0
New Hampshire ........ 21.8
Nevada ............... 20.9
Minnesota ............ 20.7
Maine ................ 20.1
Washington ........... 19.8
South Carolina ....... 19.4
Virginia ............. 19.3
Vermont .............. 18.4
Wisconsin ............ 17.1
Ohio ................. 16.8
Texas ................ 16.4
Indiana .............. 15.8
Arizona .............. 15.3
Florida .............. 15.2
Georgia .............. 14.5
Connecticut .......... 14.4
Delaware ............. 11.9
North Carolina ....... 11.7
Michigan ............. 10.2
Nebraska .............. 9.8
Illinois .............. 9.5
Iowa .................. 9.1
California ............ 8.1
Rhode Island .......... 7.5
Maryland .............. 6.2
New York .............. 4.5
New Jersey ............ 3.2
Massachusetts ......... 2.8
Virgin Islands ........ 0.4
District of Columbia .. 0.3
Puerto Rico ........... 0.3

Ken

CT does not quite have a "shall issue" statute, but it has laws much closer to such status than any of its bordering states. I have some people tell me that they think CT is pretty much a "shall issue" state.

It sure did not feel like a "shall issue" state while I was going through the process for my license. But I suppose a good part of this is my town's additional requirements of 3 letters of reference and a personal interview where I felt like I was the bad guy (not the interviewers fault, just the questions they asked). BTW, the detective assigned to my case (yup, each application is assigned a detective) called and spoke to each one of my personal references himself.

Population of Kentucky is just shy of 4.3 million (2008).

That's 25% of the population in just the first 1/2 of 2009. NICE!!!!!!!

A single state revolution, perhaps?

Don't forget, anytime a pawned gun is redeemed, another nics check is done and there are alot of pawn shops in Kentucky.

I don't think there are as many new guns being aquired as many think. Much of the population there is already well armed (and have been so for many generations) and many use their guns as collateral for short term pawn loans.

There are also military bases there and pawning a gun is a common thing with soldiers who might be temporarily strapped for cash. I did it a couple of times myself when I was in.

It sure did not feel like a "shall issue" state while I was going through the process for my license. But I suppose a good part of this is my town's additional requirements of 3 letters of reference and a personal interview where I felt like I was the bad guy (not the interviewers fault, just the questions they asked). BTW, the detective assigned to my case (yup, each application is assigned a detective) called and spoke to each one of my personal references himself.

Are you kidding me??.First of all..they are not supposed to even ask why you want a permit...I was told by my town they "could inquire as to make sure it was for lawful reasons" but "not unless they had reason to believe otherwise"...and "even if you refused to answer that would not be sufficent to deny you because the state would just give you your permit anyways"....

Back to the main subject..if you spent anytime in a CT gun store the 1st 6 months of the year you would understand the numbers..i waited months to get a glock 26..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom